FS Protection PC Release 179 and Malwarebytes 3.0

Scholar

Re: FS Protection PC Release 179 and Malwarebytes 3.0

I have an issue with F-Secure and Malwarebytes 3.0. MWB says 'unable to connect to the service'.  There is no mention of MWB in DeepGuard's list - or of any other program. But when I disable DeepGuard, MWB works. 
This is not a good solution. From the above answers I can understand that the only solution is to have just one virus program. Both are higly regarded, and I was hoping that MWB provided an extra layer of security. Maybe FS is enough.

Tags (1)
JSK
Novice

I faced problems with MBAM 3.0.6: "Unable to connect the service". Using F-Secure Safe. Both programs are "latest versions" and OS is Windows 10 (Finnish) with the latest upgrades.

Problem is not, I think F-Secure: Both safes run smoothly until W10 Update last week. Something caused "too long startup procedure" to Malwarebytes service. Not even "delayd start" was successful.

My quick patch was a .cmd file on desktop (run 'As administrator'):

net stop "Malwarebytes Service" /y
net start "Malwarebytes Service" /y
pause

After restarting the service, it takes som 30sec to MBAW 3 start normally.

Br,

JK

Superuser

@JSK wrote:

I faced problems with MBAM 3.0.6: "Unable to connect the service". Using F-Secure Safe. Both programs are "latest versions" and OS is Windows 10 (Finnish) with the latest upgrades.

Problem is not, I think F-Secure: Both safes run smoothly until W10 Update last week. Something caused "too long startup procedure" to Malwarebytes service. Not even "delayd start" was successful.

My quick patch was a .cmd file on desktop (run 'As administrator'):

net stop "Malwarebytes Service" /y
net start "Malwarebytes Service" /y
pause

After restarting the service, it takes som 30sec to MBAW 3 start normally.

Br,

JK

The "Unable to connect the service" issue has been there since the beta version of MWB3, and has affected many users, myself included.  Therefore, I don't believe it's anything to do with any W10 updates, as it affects my Windows 7 machine, but it's an inherent problem with MWB3 which they still haven't fixed.

Your solution is useful, but we shouldn't have to be doing stuff like this, or disabling parts of F-Secure, to make MWB run, as MWB claim that their software is compatible with other AV products.  Clearly, it still isn't.

Aspirant

I just read over this thread and it is nice to know I am not the only one experiencing the "unable to connect to update server" issue.

I created a support ticket with MWB but have yet to hear back from them.  Their acknowledgment as to receipt of my support request:

Re: Cannot connect to the update server!

Malwarebytes  |  May 19, 2017 01:14PM PDT

Thank you for submitting your support request. We will reply as quickly as we can.

IMPORTANT: We are currently experiencing delays in email responses due to high volume.
In the meantime, you may be able to find a solution for your inquiry through our Knowledge Base.

After receiving that acknowledgment, I'm guessing it will indeed be a long time before I hear from them.

I first purchased MWB way back in 2012 so my license was "grandfathered" in as a "lifetime" license.  I manually updated to the latest version of MWB and it recogonized my "lifetime" license.  I rebooted my computer but alas I got the same error message about MWB not able to connect to the update server. [Checking the MWB Services Properties, it indicates the service is running ]

If it is true that MWB will not run along side F-Secure any longer that's a drag.  One would think that very popular anti-virus programs such as F-Secure, etc. would work with other anti-virus or even anti-malware companies to come to some common understanding and make their proprietary software cooperate and allow "side-by-side" running of such programs.  I am not a programmer nor do I have an extreme deep understanding as to how such programs work; all I know is I just want programs that work so I don't have to spend countless hours trying to get them to work in harmony. <sigh>

I have a secondary desktop computer running Windows 7 of which I have F-Secure running on, so I will disarm F-Secure and see if I get the same error message when attempting to update MWB's anti-malware database.  I will post what I find out.

In the meantime, if anyone does come up with a solution to make MWB and F-Secure work together - like they were prior to the current release of F-Secure - instead of against one another, I'm all ears.  Smiley Happy

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this MWB vs. F-Secure compatibility, but this morning I got this error when I attempted to connect to F-Secure Premier Service:

error-code_drupal.PNG

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." john lennon
Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Because there beta-category of community.

I just installed Malwarebytes 3.1.* (?! latest available installer from website) to system where installed FS Protection (also with latest available TP release);

It was just about Premium Trial Malwarebytes (which they provide with installation) and some hours (with mainly default settings);

I did some restarts for system; perform some common steps/using system... and with my experience there was missing something wrong with Malwarebytes 3 (at least - it not informed about something at startup; also checking updates was successfully); FS Protection generally too;

There was impact to my system (as double system-resource usage); And maybe there can be potential troublepoints - but what about experience from other users?

I also not sure about potential situation - if there will be 'pause' for launch system (as result updating both FS Protection/F-Secure and Malwarebytes) - what will be with next fresh load system. It can be with overload maybe (if both software started update-process at one time);

Maybe there already some changes (at least current FS Protection compare to stable F-Secure SAFE most likely with more friendly DeepGuard about such potential 'falsepositive' computability troubles);

/// Later added: Ok, I able to get "Unable to connect the Service" with desktop logo picture (before this - I always tried tray-picture, which  OK);

And desktop Malwarebytes shortcut will open UI (after delay) when FS Protection is disabled;

So with desktop shortcut (or with direct 'mbam.exe' from folder) there still kind of trouble with launch (I feel there delay with opening UI - maybe when FS Protection active - such delay start be longer, than Malwarebytes expected...);

Manual adding "Malwarebytes" folder to exclusion list will 'fix' such troubleview. And desktop shortcut will open Malwarebytes UI with active FS Protection;