FS Protection PC 17.8 releases

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Release 17.8 beta 1 (4.30.2646):

Fixed issues:

• Protection statistics counter increase after product expired (PBL-4825)

• Acrobat Reader installation runs slow and require reboot (PBL-4840)

• Changed text for DeepGuard detections title (PBL-5113)

• SAFE 17.6 continuously reports malfunction (PBL-5134)

• Restart is not required after the upgrade if .net installed (PBL-5333)

• Several ".NET not installed" windows appear when you click several times (PBL-5438)

• Settings button on received message opens wrong page (PBL-5461)

• Settings Support tab is not shown (PBL-5462)

• Tabs height in Settings has been changed (PBL-5469)

• Text: Last year must be changed to Last 12 months (PBL-5481)

• Different formats on scan report (PBL-5525)

• Remove flyer run executable action (PBL-5557)

• Tupas authentication with S-Pankki login is failing when Banking Protection is active (PBL-5565, PBL-4434)

• Internet Security - Typo in Swedish localization (PBL-5568)

• Upgrade loops in "Waiting restart" state (PBL-5570)

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for release!

Spoiler
    If not for the name of the desktop logo, then I would be very stunned. As it was during the first seconds of inspecting tray picture... until I refocused on desktop logo. this time, it is no longer glam-rock / hardcore-punk... instead gotham metal Smiley Very Happy
  • martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Halloween.JPG

Halloween_systray.JPG

Enven the Systry icon is Halloween even though this posted image doesnot display that well.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Loving the Halloween theme!  twothumbs

• [Deleted User]

Release 17.8 beta 2 (4.30.3102):

Improved manual scanning window (Scan Wizard):

This beta introduces the new Scan Wizard that offers better support for various display scaling settings and multi-display setups, while retaining the functionality and look-and-feel of the previous Scan Wizard. With the new Scan Wizard, it is also possible to have multiple manual scanning tasks ongoing at the same time (except for multiple parallel scans in the "system scan" phase).

Known limitations of the new Scan Wizard (these will be addressed in future beta releases):

• Manual scans are not recorded in the Event history ("View recent events").
    • Manual scans do not run properly in situations when the scanning engines are being updated.

Dark blue theme

F-Secure has changed the brand color from cyan to dark blue. The new color is now used also for the fs protection theme.

Fixed issues:

• Internet Security renewal subscription text updated (PBL-5683)

• Product upgrade is very slow (PBL-5786)

• Subscription key in settings should be selectable (PBL-5790)

• About dialog links don't follow the style (PBL-5821)

Hi,

There was a small mistake with beta 2 release. For some time it said "beta 3" in the customization. We have now already fixed it, but if you received the update very soon after we released it, you may have wrong version number in your event history.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• martink

Updated from 17.8 to 17.8 beta 2 a minute ago.

Capture.JPG

• Ukko

Fresh Scan Wizard UI process is a bit more impulsive! :)

but I like color palette difference and an ability to launch multiple scans!

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

seems to be more reactive, but the difference is slight imo

• Simon

Not received the update on my Windows 7 machine yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to the new colour scheme!

• Ukko

@Simon wrote:

Not received the update on my Windows 7 machine yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to the new colour scheme!

just for sure: entire colour scheme is a fresh but still a classic one! It looks like as a stable solution.

and, for example, my words about Scan Wizard UI and "colour palette difference" are about point that the colors are different for different types of scan.

But I noted most of all the fact that the "animation" is pretty impulsive (if to look fixedly). Smiley Surprised

• [Deleted User]

Release 17.8 beta 3 (4.30.3636):

Fixed issues:

• Support tool only collects partial logs when not enough disk space (PBL-5888)
    • "F-Secure SAS" button from main user interface of Tools tab will open wrong webpage. Changed redirect on F-Secure side. (SAFE_BUG-02887)
    • My PC is getting regularly full (SAFE_BUG-02886)
    • Scan wizard: "Cleaning is almost complete" text wrong color (PBL-5858)
    • Scan Wizard crashes if malware found (PBL-5863)
    • Net scan wizard: "Cleaning is almost complete" text not centered (PBL-5844)
    • Scan report creation fails if file with this name exists (PBL-5843)
    • Net scan wizard: Quarantine list not updated automatically (PBL-5834)
    • Scan wizard opens always at top left corner of screen (PBL-5832)
    • Scan started before signatures are installed (PBL-5831)
    • Scan wizard: "Open last scanning report" fails if cleaning skipped (PBL-5830)
    • Scan wizard: Tab navigation through infection cards not working (PBL-5813)
    • Scan wizard uses way too much CPU (PBL-5622)
  • Ukko

Hello,

Animated progress of Scan Wizard taskbar logo looks good! Probably it was not there before beta3... but I think it is useful addition to design.

// and, by the way, does autoclosing Scan Wizard window for "canceled" scan (after certain time of progress) is a cool feature? Or unexpected situation?

Hi @Ukko 

No dialog should close automatically. That is just bad design. Please create a bug report if you didn't already.

(F-Secure R&D)

• [Deleted User]

New app and file control dialog:

New App and file control dialog has been added to the product. In this beta it can be opened only from product Settings. The main user interface still opens the old App and file control dialog. We will fully switch to new dialog in a future beta release.

Fixed issues:

• Scan Wizard crashes in 10-20 seconds after stopping by user (SAFE_BUG-02893, PBL-5932)
    • A window shows fs protection is not functional, please restart the computer (SAFE_BUG-02888, PBL-5903)
    • Right-click scanning does not remove found threats (SAFE_BUG-02861, PBL-5848)
    • Upgrade fails (PBL-5787)
  • martink

Did a new clean install.

About the smoothest and fastest I've seen for a while.

• Simon

Can I ask how long Windows 7 support will continue for?  I know Microsoft support is ending on Jan 14th, but I'm not sure I'll be in a position to upgrade immediately.

• TIBCSI66
    TIBCSI66 Posts: 11 New Member

When is the final version expected?

@Simon Naturally, I can't promise any dates, since plans may change, but for now we have quite large userbase on Windows 7, so I would say we will not remove support for it in near future.

@TIBCSI66 I can't promise any dates, but it will still take some time for 17.8 production release.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Simon

Thanks Ville.

• Ukko

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Are there any plans to improve or to change flow with renewal popup / prompt reminder?

Based on this (and some other topics or feature requests):

Current design is still mostly aggressive for some users. And appearance triggers are not clear for them OR unexpectedly intrusive.

Perhaps, with technology preview / beta I saw flow where such a reminder was already as a toast notification (so, even if rest of design is still previous - looks a bit more smooth). Or maybe it was another kind of situation.

But with stable solution (? and, for example, with brief try for trial time) - still 'concerned' design of renewal reminder.

I could to understand and to imagine reasons, good explanations and benefits of current design. Most of these points are sensible. But, for example, is there any limitation for adding postpone button for some days (as most users asked) - I do not think that this is a solution and complains are still can be there - but, at least, it is something. Of course, if any large changes are not expected.

Thanks!

• [Deleted User]

Release 17.8 beta 5 (4.30.5794):

New features:

• Chromium based Microsoft Edge browser is now supported.
    • The design of excluding harmful items found in manual scanning has been changed but this is still work in progress and the new UI elements have not been translated. More changes are expected in this area.
    • New App and file control dialog is now fully in use and the old dialog has been removed.
    • We have made significant internal changes to the product structure to support future development. This should not change anything in product behavior.

Fixed issues:

• Network installer name is changed to "Setup Tool" (PBL-6023)
    • fssettings crashed (PBL-6019, SAFE_BUG-02902)
    • "Fileless" exploits not handled correctly in App and file control (PBL-5996, SAFE_BUG-02896)
    • Trouble with opening fresh .NET App and File Control (PBL-6014, SAFE_BUG-02899)
    • Badly rendered targets/exclusions in scanning reports with IE due to misplaced "ul" tag (PBL-5971 SAFE_BUG-02894)
    • Some fixes for Narrator support (PBL-5940)
    • Short scan completes very slowly (PBL-5995)
    • Internet Security renewal text changes (PBL-5683)
    • "Scan Wizard" crashes in 10-20 seconds after stopping by user (PBL-5932, SAFE_BUG-02893)
  • Ukko

Hello,

Thanks for the release!

Sorry for ask:

My system has received beta 5 - but there was not branded reminder(prompt) about it. And recent events list is also not about this event.

So it should be?

// actually, one more point is Context scan option was not visible (was not on rightclick menu) before restart. After system restart - option is there.

Thanks!

Hi @Ukko 

Yes, we also noticed those issues internally (but too late). The post-update actions were not done (flyer notification, event history) and scan option from explorer is missing until user logs out and in again.

They will be fixed for next release.

(F-Secure R&D)

• [Deleted User]

Release 17.8 beta 6 (4.30.6553):

New features:

• Browsing Protection and Banking Protection features are now using a new engine
    • Browsing Protection block pages and search rating results have new visual look
    • Excluding harmful items found in manual scanning design has been finalized
    • Quarantined items view now supports reporting false positives directly from quarantine
    • Flyer notifications on Windows 7 and 8 have new visual look.

Fixed issues:

• Enabling Firefox add-on fails on fs protection (PBL-6230)
    • Time Limits extended count is dropped after Windows update (monthly updates)(SAFE_BUG-02933, PBL-6192)
    • "Scan for viruses" Explorer menu item missing after upgrade to beta 5 (PBL-6180)
    • SAFE 17.7 installation fails on verifying integrity on Windows 10 (PBL-6104)
    • No visible progress of scanned file names and file counts with small amount of files scanned (SAFE_BUG-02914, PBL-6059))

• Simon

Looking good (except maybe for the stars in the UI header?), and installed without issue.

• [Deleted User]

Release 17.8 beta 8 (4.30.6973):

Known issues:

• Update message will not show for this beta, will be fixed for next release.

New features:

• Update check scheduling was changed - updates are no longer checked exactly every 1 hour, but there is some randomness. The check is now done every 60 - 90 minutes.
    • New "Browser extension not in use" notification is now available and it is triggered when a supported browser is launched and the extension is not active.

Fixed issues:

• Cannot open "App and file control" (crashes) (PBL-6334, SAFE_BUG-02964)
    • Settings shows incorrect next check time for updates (PBL-6295)
    • Settings doesn't show download progress for update downloads
    • FS Protection blocking Wise Care support box & won't clear (PBL-6301, SAFE_BUG-02956)

Release 17.8 beta 7 (4.30.6883): NOT released

• [Deleted User]

Release 17.8 beta 10 (4.30.7392):

Fixed issues:

• Block page title and description should not be selectable (PBL-6474)
    • Narrator does not read the Location value on the AFC window (PBL-6439)
    • Difference with license_files name for "About" window and for folder (SAFE_BUG-02985, PBL-6425)
    • Missing info icon on the Uninstallation confirmation dialog (PBL-6424)
    • Update history looks empty after the Beta upgrade (PBL-6389)
    • Browser warning in main UI remains after uninstalling Firefox or Chrome (PBL-6324)
    • Replace the "known file extensions" to "Scan only file types that commonly contain harmful code (faster)" (PBL-5812)
    • Virus scan shows the names of another user's files (PBL-5778)

Note:

The new Banking Protection engine released in 17.8 beta 6 requires "Browsing Protection by F-Secure" browser extension to be installed and enabled in a supported browser to activate banking session.

Supported browsers:

• Internet Explorer
    • Google Chrome
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Microsoft Edge (Chromium)

Release 17.8 beta 9 (4.30.7335): NOT released

• Simon

Thank you! 👍

• Ivan_Osipov
    Ivan_Osipov Posts: 77 Path Finder

Release 17.8 beta 11 (4.30.7539):

Known issues:

• "Extension not installed" does not contain the browser name (PBL-6514)
    • Wrong link to extension webstores: non-English installation (PBL-6466)

Both issues should be fixed by the end of the week by the localization updating.

New features:

• Product update no longer needs to shutdown security core. Windows should no longer warn that security product is turned off during product update.
    • Product update and security core updates can no longer happen at the same time, which resulted in security core update failure and retry in the next update.

Fixed issues:

• Duplicated support tool shortcut in start menu folder (PBL-6461)
    • The "Turn on Browsing Protection" status is showing after the expiration (PBL-6476)
    • Extension warns about Edge but Set up linked to Chrome(default browser) (PBL-6467)
    • Inconsistent license info after license expired (PBL-6488)

• fs-seppo
    fs-seppo Posts: 22 F-Secure Employee

Release 17.8 beta 12 (4.30.7692):

Known issues:

• Windows security center notification on upgrade (PBL-6548)

Fixed issues:

• Cannot open "App and file control" (crashes) (SAFE_BUG-02964, PBL-6334)
    • Time limit blocking screen is not turning off after the expiration (PBL-6513)
    • Updates stopped (SAFE_BUG-03009, PBL-6534)
    • Updates list is missing titles (PBL-6538)

Seppo

This discussion has been closed.