Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FS Protection PC 17.6 releases

F-Secure

Re: FS Protection PC 17.6 releases

Release 17.6 beta 2 (4.10.1248):

New features:

• Some user interfaces have been implemented using Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2. If you don't have it installed, it will be automatically installed during installation or update from previous version.
  • About dialog re-implemented with .NET as proof of concept.

Fixed Issues:

• Protection Count View Switching Confusing (PBL-4581)
  • Blockpage occasionally warns about ".W: PluginStateBlockPage::HandleHttpsScan: Unknown request type 5" (PBL-4566)
  • Updated strings for Statistics are OK - but based on its 'length' there is concern. (SAFE_BUG-02694, PBL-4562)
  • Localized "Time Limits" updated to "Device Use Limits" and trouble with "Administrator Rights Notification" is back. (SAFE_BUG-02691, PBL-4558)
  • Troubles around Scanning (strange state with zipped scans AND dropped detections during certain timeframe). (SAFE_BUG-02689, PBL-4555)
  • "Device use limits" change causes cut element in bg and ru (PBL-4552)
  • Troubles around Scanning (strange state with zipped scans AND dropped detections during certain timeframe). (SAFE_BUG-02689, PBL-4551)
  • Troubles around Scanning (strange state with zipped scans AND dropped detections during certain timeframe). (SAFE_BUG-02689, PBL-4550)
  • ODS detected infections increment OAS detected infections counter (SAFE_BUG-02679, PBL-4543)
  • Installation Failed on Win 10 (PBL-4541)
  • No restart prompt when OneClient upgrade is waiting for restart (PBL-4540)
  • Restart needed in Win7 after upgrade but no notification sent for user (PBL-4538)
  • More Power Consumption (SAFE_BUG-02687, PBL-4537)
  • Information Missing for Malware Detection (PBL-4526)
  • Did not detect license any more (SAFE_BUG-02684, PBL-4524)
  • User can hide (?) Help symbol under Main UI. (SAFE_BUG-02682, PBL-4518)
  • LOC: Statistics Main UI (two). (SAFE_BUG-02680, PBL-4516)
  • Banking session does not activate when entering site  (PBL-4502)
  • Setup flow cosmetic issue (PBL-4493)
  • Banking dll crashing (PBL-4472)
  • Memory leak in fs_ccf_ni_plg_banking_protection64 (PBL-4465)
  • Browser extension tab visible in settings window when AV only (PBL-4443)
  • Sometimes F-Secure Rating logo is bump up over the title of search result. (SAFE_BUG-02604, PBL-4367)
  • S-Pankki authentication failures (SAFE_BUG-02577, PBL-4341)
Superuser

hello Ukko Smiley Happy couldn't it be related to Windows libraries on your side ?

Superuser

@yeoldfart wrote:

hello Ukko Smiley Happy couldn't it be related to Windows libraries on your side ?

I do not know.. : ) : (

but all of this? or only some of points (delay when opening ;; pixeled logo ;; resizable window)?

Superuser

you are right, it's a trifle too much, why not uninstall FS, clean the registry and leftovers, then reinstall... but it might be a windows deeper bug,  who knows ? it's worth investigating a bit.

Champion

Upgrade went smooth :)

Superuser

@yeoldfart wrote:

you are right, it's a trifle too much, why not uninstall FS, clean the registry and leftovers, then reinstall... but it might be a windows deeper bug,  who knows ? it's worth investigating a bit.

yes, probably, I will try to reinstall as further checks.

although, pixeled logo and resizable window are likely expected temporary things (but I did not check situation with any other system yet).

(just as clarification) what about "delay" - it is not really a delay maybe. This delay is about two seconds maybe (but it is, virtually, more than before). and first opening window was with much visible delay.

Thanks!

Superuser

"delays" may vary broadly due to context. Pls inform us when/how it is solved.

F-Secure

@Ukko wrote:

Hello,

Fresh "About" from beta 2 is beauty and with an interesting view! Only three points maybe with a strange state (most likely it is temporary):

-> window  opens with a delay (more than before) a little be. And the first try to open the window was with quite noticeable delay.

-> too resizable. at least, I do not feel if too minimized view is suitable for something. But maximized view and just ability to resize is pretty!

-> title (left top corner) picture logo is too pixeled probably. // added: logo on taskbar is also too pixeled for that window (at least, as common feelings and compared to other windows)

Thanks for the release!

Hi @Ukko

The delay is caused by .NET and we will have to see if there is anything we can do about it. Maybe not. The resizability is a matter of taste, personally I think it's fine, you can resize it down so that you only see the product name. Pixelated logo is a known issue and will be fixed in upcoming releases.

Regarding .NET. The plan is to gradually (this will take quite long time) migrate all dialogs from Qt to .NET. With our Qt implementation the user interface is running in the background all the time, so when you want to open any dialog, it just makes it visible. That makes the dialog appear fast. The drawback of that is that it uses ~150MB of memory all the time, even if you would never open any dialog. (We do some tricks to make most of this memory to be swapped out, but it still needs to be loaded from disk and potentially swapped back in) With .NET this changes: each dialog is separate executable. It will only use memory when the dialog is open, the drawback is that opening takes longer time. Since most of the time users don't need to open user interface, this is direction we are taking.

Some other benefits of .NET are: making dialogs resizable is very easy, multiple monitor DPI scaling should work properly and accessibility features can be better supported.

(F-Secure R&D)

Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, explanation and response!

The resizability is a matter of taste, personally I think it's fine, you can resize it down so that you only see the product name

I also feel OK about it. Ability to resize window is fine. And ability to maximize window is a pretty.

Ability to receive too small window is only strange (just because I do not know when possible to receive such window based on autodecision; and I am not sure if it is helpful for anything); Although, state when only the product name visible is good too (as with too small blockpage window for websites - where only title is visible) - but with the states before this the text is not always fully visible.

Also,  I like .NET opprotunity.

Thanks!

Champion

Did anyone else notice installation files (.NET?) created under system drive root?

In my case, C:\

Or was it coincidence (some other installer did it)? I suspect the latter case.