FS Protection PC 17.6 releases

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Release 17.6 beta 1 (4.10.692):

New features:

• When banking protection is terminated, all information from clipboard is wiped.
  • Counters of files scanned, web sites verified etc visible in the user interface of the product. Known issue: the counter of files blocked by real-time scanning does not include unwanted and potentially unwanted applications blocked, it only includes harmful files.
  • A pop-up reminder about restarting the computer is shown when malware removal by real-time or scheduled scanning (or a malfunction) requires the computer to be restarted.
  • The "Time limits" feature has been renamed to "Device use limits"; the functionality of the feature remains unchanged. Note that this change is only visible in English in this release.

Fixed Issues:

• Banking session does not activate when entering site  (PBL-4502)
  • Problems with shell extension scan (PBL-4489)
  • Banking protection crash (PBL-4472)
  • Memory leak in banking protection (PBL-4465)
  • Removed file infection reported wrongly as not cleaned up (PBL-4463)
  • Cannot login to op.fi if clicked end to banking protection flyer before login with Chrome (PBL-4458)
  • '?' image shown in main UI (PBL-4449)
  • Scan for malware context menu option opens a message box (PBL-4434)
  • "Not enough memory(?) for launching application. Close some applications and re-try"-notification. (SAFE_BUG-02625, PBL-4426)
  • Strange points with Added (filter) string to Allowed/Denied websites list. (SAFE_BUG-02641, PBL-4418)
  • Crash in in virus protection (PBL-4405)
  • Help / LOC : Kind of mistakes. (SAFE_BUG-02628, PBL-4399)
  • I cant open my scan report (SAFE_BUG-02619, PBL-4380)
  • Event history crash in Swedish product when scanning event more information link clicked (PBL-4378)
  • Wrong error during installation if 80 MB are left on drive (PBL-4376)
  • Google Search Sometimes F-Secure Rating logo is pump up over the title of search result. (SAFE_BUG-02604, PBL-4367)
  • S-Pankki authentication failures (SAFE_BUG-02577, PBL-4341)
  • Network installer using files from wrong location (PBL-4325)
  • ES/DE etc: Main GUI buttons don't fit after installation (PBL-4238)
  • No Ability to Setup Family Rules if Initially Declined (PBL-4035)
  • Simplified Chinese translation is not accurate (SAFE_BUG-02487, PBL-3998)

Comments

• Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager

Smooth upgrade, did not even notice.

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Smooth

Did notice from the messages "Turn virus protection on" and FS updated to 17.6 beta

• K4MI7
    K4MI7 Posts: 1 New Member

I noticed that the new version, each time I start the "opera" browser, the banking protection starts with Opera. Afterwards everything works as it should be.Smiley Wink

• Matty5000
    Matty5000 Posts: 7 New Member

The only thing I noticed is that the F-Secure icon that I usually have visible in my task tray defaulted back to hidden and I had to put it back. Other than that, everything is smooth so far! :)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

I like all recent FS Protection beta updates.

Only three(?) things bother me; and that is unclear for me (yet):

--  Fresh detection and F-Secure website are not synchronized. Or redirect from "More information" is not accurate (and maybe it was with previous engine too); but I do able to suspect that with fresh detection name - trouble is more visible.

For example, 'More information' about ""PotentialRisk.PUA/CryptoMiner.Gen"" detection lead to next page: Toolbar:W32/MyGlobalSearch ; What is unrelated completely (maybe).

-- Time to time (at least, I met it two or three times) - some items became undetectable. Mainly it was about zipped files with multiple (not a lot) items. Where only "packed" items are detected as malicious or harmful. During troublestate - such items were not detected by FS Protection (while some others were detected still). But, then, after hours or day - detections are back for these items too.

-- Uncategorized state of some domains, subdomains or IPs. Became eventually unexpected (even with "Security Cloud: Connected"). Based on some different situations.

Sorry for strange feedback.

Thanks!

• [Deleted User]

Thank you for your feedback.
    Could you make bug reports regarding to these issues so that we can investigate and follwup properly?

(https://beta.f-secure.com/home.html)

• Ukko

@Fengping wrote:

Thank you for your feedback.
    Could you make bug reports regarding to these issues so that we can investigate and follwup properly?

(https://beta.f-secure.com/home.html)

Hello,

Thanks for your response. Originally, I planned to do so.

With second point (temporary dropped detection) - I just trying to provoke/get it else one time. But I created fsdiag at the time of latest situation (and it is still saved - five days old; thus, maybe I will do report after some doublechecks).

With third point (uncategorized/unrared websites) - I will try to contact F-Secure Labs via F-Secure SAS at first. I did not that (yet one time) - just because it was strange situation: some of websites start be uncategorized (even it was rated before and some of them were transferred to F-Secure Labs by me before) per 'one hit' (pack of websites);

In addition, as example, I transferred one of these URLs - it was rated back after some days... but then (and currently still) after some days uncategorized back (just during two weeks). Today - another well-known domain is switched to uncategorized state.

While "Security Cloud" with "Connected"-state - anyway - I am unsure about reason (what if it is local trouble). So, I delayed transfer to F-Secure SAS based on this.

With second point - I will try to collect more examples and will try to create report.

Noted example is about detection which previous F-Secure engine does not detect at all (at least, during my try to research it).

Thanks!

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

good job again !

• Ukko

Hello,

Fresh "About" from beta 2 is beauty and with an interesting view! Only three points maybe with a strange state (most likely it is temporary):

-> window  opens with a delay (more than before) a little be. And the first try to open the window was with quite noticeable delay.

-> too resizable. at least, I do not feel if too minimized view is suitable for something. But maximized view and just ability to resize is pretty!

-> title (left top corner) picture logo is too pixeled probably. // added: logo on taskbar is also too pixeled for that window (at least, as common feelings and compared to other windows)

Thanks for the release!

• [Deleted User]

Release 17.6 beta 2 (4.10.1248):

New features:

• Some user interfaces have been implemented using Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2. If you don't have it installed, it will be automatically installed during installation or update from previous version.
    • About dialog re-implemented with .NET as proof of concept.

Fixed Issues:

• Protection Count View Switching Confusing (PBL-4581)
    • Blockpage occasionally warns about ".W: PluginStateBlockPage::HandleHttpsScan: Unknown request type 5" (PBL-4566)
    • Updated strings for Statistics are OK - but based on its 'length' there is concern. (SAFE_BUG-02694, PBL-4562)
    • Localized "Time Limits" updated to "Device Use Limits" and trouble with "Administrator Rights Notification" is back. (SAFE_BUG-02691, PBL-4558)
    • Troubles around Scanning (strange state with zipped scans AND dropped detections during certain timeframe). (SAFE_BUG-02689, PBL-4555)
    • "Device use limits" change causes cut element in bg and ru (PBL-4552)
    • Troubles around Scanning (strange state with zipped scans AND dropped detections during certain timeframe). (SAFE_BUG-02689, PBL-4551)
    • Troubles around Scanning (strange state with zipped scans AND dropped detections during certain timeframe). (SAFE_BUG-02689, PBL-4550)
    • ODS detected infections increment OAS detected infections counter (SAFE_BUG-02679, PBL-4543)
    • Installation Failed on Win 10 (PBL-4541)
    • No restart prompt when OneClient upgrade is waiting for restart (PBL-4540)
    • Restart needed in Win7 after upgrade but no notification sent for user (PBL-4538)
    • More Power Consumption (SAFE_BUG-02687, PBL-4537)
    • Information Missing for Malware Detection (PBL-4526)
    • Did not detect license any more (SAFE_BUG-02684, PBL-4524)
    • User can hide (?) Help symbol under Main UI. (SAFE_BUG-02682, PBL-4518)
    • LOC: Statistics Main UI (two). (SAFE_BUG-02680, PBL-4516)
    • Banking session does not activate when entering site  (PBL-4502)
    • Setup flow cosmetic issue (PBL-4493)
    • Banking dll crashing (PBL-4472)
    • Memory leak in fs_ccf_ni_plg_banking_protection64 (PBL-4465)
    • Browser extension tab visible in settings window when AV only (PBL-4443)
    • Sometimes F-Secure Rating logo is bump up over the title of search result. (SAFE_BUG-02604, PBL-4367)
    • S-Pankki authentication failures (SAFE_BUG-02577, PBL-4341)
  • yeoldfart

hello Ukko Smiley Happy couldn't it be related to Windows libraries on your side ?

• Ukko

@yeoldfart wrote:

hello Ukko Smiley Happy couldn't it be related to Windows libraries on your side ?

I do not know.. : ) : (

but all of this? or only some of points (delay when opening ;; pixeled logo ;; resizable window)?

• yeoldfart

you are right, it's a trifle too much, why not uninstall FS, clean the registry and leftovers, then reinstall... but it might be a windows deeper bug,  who knows ? it's worth investigating a bit.

• Lord_Ami

Upgrade went smooth :)

• Ukko

@yeoldfart wrote:

you are right, it's a trifle too much, why not uninstall FS, clean the registry and leftovers, then reinstall... but it might be a windows deeper bug,  who knows ? it's worth investigating a bit.

yes, probably, I will try to reinstall as further checks.

although, pixeled logo and resizable window are likely expected temporary things (but I did not check situation with any other system yet).

(just as clarification) what about "delay" - it is not really a delay maybe. This delay is about two seconds maybe (but it is, virtually, more than before). and first opening window was with much visible delay.

Thanks!

• yeoldfart

"delays" may vary broadly due to context. Pls inform us when/how it is solved.

@Ukko wrote:

Hello,

Fresh "About" from beta 2 is beauty and with an interesting view! Only three points maybe with a strange state (most likely it is temporary):

-> window  opens with a delay (more than before) a little be. And the first try to open the window was with quite noticeable delay.

-> too resizable. at least, I do not feel if too minimized view is suitable for something. But maximized view and just ability to resize is pretty!

-> title (left top corner) picture logo is too pixeled probably. // added: logo on taskbar is also too pixeled for that window (at least, as common feelings and compared to other windows)

Thanks for the release!

Hi @Ukko

The delay is caused by .NET and we will have to see if there is anything we can do about it. Maybe not. The resizability is a matter of taste, personally I think it's fine, you can resize it down so that you only see the product name. Pixelated logo is a known issue and will be fixed in upcoming releases.

Regarding .NET. The plan is to gradually (this will take quite long time) migrate all dialogs from Qt to .NET. With our Qt implementation the user interface is running in the background all the time, so when you want to open any dialog, it just makes it visible. That makes the dialog appear fast. The drawback of that is that it uses ~150MB of memory all the time, even if you would never open any dialog. (We do some tricks to make most of this memory to be swapped out, but it still needs to be loaded from disk and potentially swapped back in) With .NET this changes: each dialog is separate executable. It will only use memory when the dialog is open, the drawback is that opening takes longer time. Since most of the time users don't need to open user interface, this is direction we are taking.

Some other benefits of .NET are: making dialogs resizable is very easy, multiple monitor DPI scaling should work properly and accessibility features can be better supported.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Ukko

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, explanation and response!

The resizability is a matter of taste, personally I think it's fine, you can resize it down so that you only see the product name

I also feel OK about it. Ability to resize window is fine. And ability to maximize window is a pretty.

Ability to receive too small window is only strange (just because I do not know when possible to receive such window based on autodecision; and I am not sure if it is helpful for anything); Although, state when only the product name visible is good too (as with too small blockpage window for websites - where only title is visible) - but with the states before this the text is not always fully visible.

Also,  I like .NET opprotunity.

Thanks!

• Lord_Ami

Did anyone else notice installation files (.NET?) created under system drive root?

In my case, C:\

Or was it coincidence (some other installer did it)? I suspect the latter case.

• Ukko

@Lord_Ami wrote:

Did anyone else notice installation files (.NET?) created under system drive root?

In my case, C:\

Or was it coincidence (some other installer did it)? I suspect the latter case.

Hello,

My file system, probably, is not about such case. At least, I did not manage to find unexpected installation files (or differences from previous days).

Maybe your state is about:

• Some user interfaces have been implemented using Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2. If you don't have it installed, it will be automatically installed during installation or update from previous version.

My experience is about Windows 10 64bit (1803) - where I am not sure whether.NET Framework 4.7.2 was there before installation or not (but it is possible to suspect that was). Another system is Windows 7 where .NET Framework 4.7.2 was there (listed under Installed applications).  Thus, the installation of .NET Framework 4.7.2 was not triggered when uptading FS Protection.

I do not check what is view when .NET Framework 4.7.2 will be installed during FS Protection update. Maybe if such installations files are remained under directory (as part of temporary storage, for example) - it is unexpected(?!).

Thanks!

• yeoldfart

Hello !

my subscription will be down on 03/20/2019...

thanks in advance  Smiley Wink

• martink

Being a superuser you should know that if you have been active reporting on beta the subscription is renewed just in time if it works as before.

Release 17.6 beta 3 (4.10.1709):

New features:

• About dialog layout changed a bit

Fixed Issues:

• About window is crashing (PBL-4748)
    • Settings, list row height (PBL-4737)
    • Setting UI default open size  (PBL-4727)
    • About window is crashing (PBL-4726)
    • F-Secure.About crash dmp found in trunk 4.10.1517 (PBL-4721)
    • Bug or software feature? (SAFE_BUG-02709, PBL-4719)
    • Copyright notices shown twice (PBL-4703)
    • Layout&size of the default Setting UI  (PBL-4702)
    • Setting UI elevated but Windows shield not hide and UAC still prompt the 2nd time (PBL-4700)
    • Black triangle in About box (PBL-4699)
    • Settings UI not open or opened with broken style (PBL-4693)
    • Upgrade failed because operating system is not supported (PBL-4688)
    • Missing Update server link if localized (PBL-4686)
    • About window is not opening (PBL-4683)
    • Safe search not working for google, yahoo etc but working for youtube (PBL-4673)
    • Search rating icons are broken for Firefox (PBL-4672)
    • Browsing protection or content blocking not working after channel upgrade from 17.4 to 17.5 (PBL-4668)
    • About box taskbar F-icon turned to blank when 'Pin to taskbar' (PBL-4667)
    • FS Protection SAPC 17.6 Failed to Upgrade from Beta-1 to Beta-2 (PBL-4659)
    • Family rules tab should not show 'No content limits have been set.' (PBL-4653)
    • Dutch language customization: Text truncated on support tool (PBL-4652)
    • Globe icon color is not customised (PBL-4651)
    • About doesn't drop elevation for links inside scrollable area (PBL-4650)
    • Wrong terminology for the subscription renewal in Ru localization (PBL-4647)
    • Family Rules not correctly/fully blocking Fortnite when reaching time limits (PBL-4641)
    • About window not closed with 'ESC' key  (PBL-4638)
    • Integrity Error if launch the installer after it requires reboot (PBL-4636)
    • Continuation of the installation might fail with error after reboot (PBL-4632)
    • "Will try again" and not succeeding with upgrade (PBL-4618)
    • Browsing protection and Virus protection off status show different text on main ui (PBL-4614)
    • About dialog icon looks pixellated (PBL-4610)
    • Cannot select and copy the product version number from About dialog (PBL-4605)
    • Language is equal to "xx"  in all migration .net installer events (PBL-4582)
    • LOC: Updated strings for Statistics are OK - but based on its 'length' there is concern. (SAFE_BUG-02694, PBL-4562)
    • PUSH registration errors (PBL-4547)
    • Remove unnecessary errors from COSMOS log (PBL-4530)
    • [kor, jpn, chs, chz, zhh] Setup page have much bigger font than others (PBL-4492)
    • Allow/deny list does not work for non punycoded/%-coded domain names (PBL-4468)
    • AUA (GUTS2) hang on stop found in production (PBL-4407)
    • Help: Descriptions for Categories / Content Types. (SAFE_BUG-02630, PBL-4401)
    • Help / LOC : Wording concerns. (SAFE_BUG-02629, PBL-4400)
    • Help / LOC : Listed localized hyperlinks, but opened unlocalized page in fact. (SAFE_BUG-02627, PBL-4397)
    • LOC/RU: ValueComms strings (SAFE_BUG-02546, PBL-4267)

A few things I want to mention.

17.6 beta 3 has a work-in-progress settings dialog, which is not yet enabled. But you can take a sneak peek by navigating into product installation folder and "ui" subfolder and running "F-Secure.Settings.Gui.exe". Please keep in mind that it's not yet fully functional.

There has been some discussion about fs protection removing conflicting products while some users think that it's not a problem and reinstall them right back after our product installation. There is a command-line switch to disable conflicting product removal. It's documented for business product, but the installer code is same so it works for fs protection as well. See here. We still feel that the safest option is to run only one security product, so use this only if you're sure you want to take the risk of conflict.

(F-Secure R&D)

• yeoldfart

Too many users are of the "belt and  garter" type.

I've had some success convincing users not to run 2 Av's once they admitted the possibility of conflicts and slowdowns. You cannot convince them with a text one line long in a dialog box.

The only solution is to force uninstallation AND forbid reinstallation of concurrent software.

• Ukko
    17.6 beta 3 has a work-in-progress settings dialog, which is not yet enabled. But you can take a sneak peek by navigating into product installation folder and "ui" subfolder and running "F-Secure.Settings.Gui.exe". Please keep in mind that it's not yet fully functional.

Just interesting (and based on my not really large experience with some FS Protection stages).. is there any other security software with such a smooth response to up-to-date operating systems (which users use) guides. With its kind of integration into the system flow. This kind of integration that has always been there (and only switches to more up-to-date look).

Thanks for release!

• yeoldfart

Hello Ukko

I'd say webroot

• martink

Mine just updated

FS_TP_subs_updated.JPG

• martink

Beta 3 arrived last week and it does update the problem with about window not displaying

FS_17.6_beta3.JPG

When it was not displayed I could see the version in Control Panel Installed programs. (As ther could be other reasons for not displaying than the bug in beta 2)

• Lord_Ami

Wohoo, beta 4 is released :)

This discussion has been closed.