F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus

Superuser

Re: F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus

Hello,

I think... that with current points.. there can be not nice design (description later) and normal one (such as... if it will be related with user's decision. So.. virusmakers able to use F-Secure ULAV and whitelisted some of malicious websites and it will be marked as whitelisted under Security Cloud.  So... sharing whitelist/allow decisions between users - not really nice (and certainly not nice - if it can be used by Security Cloud as main-factor). But there can be a lot of good points with sharing about blacklist/deny decisions by users - but it's not really available with current design of F-Secure ULAV).

Such as... I think it's not really related (but basically... it's can be as part of metrics) with "Security Cloud and your decisions usage".... Because... it's can be same with websites, which not rated yet.

So.. you available to visit page.. years.. and it will be not rated. You able to visit current page.. each day.. but it's will be not rated. Such as.. it's does not trigger any checking or "points" for start be known or need to re-check it.

Basically.. if it's not work with "unknown" rating. Will be strange if Security Cloud able to work with "allow" decisions about malicious ones... if most common steps for re-classify reputation/rating... it's transferring URL for F-Secure SAS (previous link).

Superuser

As a potential temporary substitute for Banking Protection, I tried to install the free Bitdefender SafePay app this evening, which claims to be compatible with other antivirus products. However, I kept getting an error saying that the application cannot start because "mfc100u.dll is missing". I've tried some fixes I found online but nothing has worked so I gave up. Could this be a conflict with ULAV?
Superuser

Hello,

But do you have "mfc100u.dll" with your system? :)

Probably it's can be broken installation around Visutal studio components and can be related with any software (which can to use it).

For example... with current system.. I have two variants (default ones) and else one by younited.

Superuser

So.. it's work with my one of devices... and F-Secure ULAV can be not a reason/conflict (or not always it's can be).

Like additional (after short looking around... and removing):

Forget to check with URLs, but notifications about malicious files (as web-traffic prompt by F-Secure ULAV) will be not visible under Bitdefender Safepay and file prevented to be download (with freeze-thinking status under Bitdefender Safepay). Without any visible conflicts between F-Secure ULAV and Bitdefender Safepay per short time (around hour of usage; some restarts and some of common actions for getting potential conflicts and looking for "banking protection" solution).

But anyway... Bitdefender SafePay some kind of strange solution and not all realization looks like good (and a lot of missing with features-status of work).  You maybe able to get something more interesting.... if it's indeed can be needed-reasons. Or something more "combat" :)

F-Secure

Just to clarify, any whitelisting decisions a user makes on an object (file, url, etc.) is locally cached only. We do not send this data to our servers, nor use it to apply whitelisting/blacklisting decisions for other users.

Regarding the mfc100u.dll problem, this is not a conflict with ULAV. Most likely you need to apply a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package to your system for the appropriate architecture.

Superuser

@AndyP wrote:

Regarding the mfc100u.dll problem, this is not a conflict with ULAV. Most likely you need to apply a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package to your system for the appropriate architecture.

Thanks Andy, I did that last night, but the error still appeared.  Think I'll probably give up on that one.  

Superuser

@Andy 

thank you, that settles the question about white/blacklisting, btw still quite happy with ULAV on my W 8.1 x64 rig

Superuser

@ Simon
did you try re-installing visual c++ 2010 ?
Superuser

@yeoldfart wrote:
@ Simon
did you try re-installing visual c++ 2010 ?

Yes, several times.  But I didn't try fully uninstalling and reinstalling, as each time the installer said that all issues had been fixed, so I assume it ran as a repair, rather than a reinstallation.   

I've had issues installing Bitdefender products before, and their support is virtually non existent, so I won't be spending too much time on it.   

Superuser

@Simon 

may I suggest installing it completely, run CCleaner 5.0 on the registry, reboot, reinstall that C++ ?