F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus

Superuser

Re: F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus

Oh right, well, slightly confusing, but well spotted, Ukko.  :)

Superuser

@Ukko wrote:
About firewall; potentially there available to be addition layer.. not just a firewall. But which features you want to use with any other third party firewall? Such as.. which features can be important as additional? (it's just interesting for me, sorry).

It's not really that I want extra features, it's more out of curiosity and interest as to whether the option is now possible.  To be honest, I don't even know if it might have been OK to install a different Firewall with the IS and FSP suites, given that they use Windows Firewall anyway, but I would have thought it a little 'dangerous' with those products.  Seeing as ULAV has no Firewall component, there presumably wouldn't be anything for a third party Firewall to conflict with, although, the reason I asked about Comodo is that it appears to have a feature similar to Deepguard, and I wondered if that might cause problems. Seeing as we're testing this product, we might as well try to break it!  Smiley Very Happy

Superuser

hydra version is 1418661663 could it be the latest ? I'm puzzled, can't sort it out wether it's a global manual update or correponding "service" update....
Superuser

--------------------

It's not really that I want extra features, it's more out of curiosity and interest as to whether the option is now possible.  To be honest, I don't even know if it might have been OK to install a different Firewall with the IS and FSP suites, given that they use Windows Firewall anyway, but I would have thought it a little 'dangerous' with those products.  Seeing as ULAV has no Firewall component, there presumably wouldn't be anything for a third party Firewall to conflict with, although, the reason I asked about Comodo is that it appears to have a feature similar to Deepguard, and I wondered if that might cause problems. Seeing as we're testing this product, we might as well try to break it

--------------------

I think it possible. But it's possible with FS Protection too. :)

Spoiler

There just can be points: do you ready to get some of conflicts around and created exclusions rules (which can be time to time... not common steps as "visible"-ones) for both of protection-software.

And if current company goes be with troubles around "design".. it's can be funny drivers, which can be a reason for crashes :)

And there will be without big dfferent about FS Protection and F-Secure ULAV.

Most risk-modules close to be same (for my opinion). But also for my opinion - Gemini (under FS Protection) can be additional point for potentially trouble-points. With F-Secure ULAV it can be not so hard with that reason - so there.. indeed can be interesting (and I also already was with some of solutions around check with same points, but I have certainly known "features" - which I can to get just with one of solution and not really known something else same - which can be trusted for me).

About "Comodo" HIPS or Application Control. It's can be.. but for my opinion DeepGuard better. Such as -> more protection, less false-positives.

With angry-style of HIPS, Application Control, Whitelist-based or Behavior- (and Reputation)-based protection.... can be interesting and can be safe around, but it's take so many "attention" and user should be worry about each of steps (when it's auto-mode.. anyway.... you want to check it and check probably; but if you don't want to check.. why not to choose something, which just work and created just important prompts as DeepGuard).

And current one "good protection with a lot of false positives" comes with many of big security companies. But all of them... not really better, than DeepGuard (as default one) for my opinion.

Such as... you can get super-protection, but I'm not sure.. that COMODO and F-Secure ULAV can be best of solution. Such as COMODO - close to strange one realization (and some of new versions can be with some of new points, which can be as conflict-things for using with F-Secure ULAV).

If you want to real-break story.. maybe need to check F-Secure ULAV and EMET 5.1 :)

==========================

--------------------

hydra version is 1418661663 could it be the latest ?

--------------------

About Hydra - probably it latest ones.

Spoiler

And also .... manual "check updates" under UI - should be as re-check for updates (as global checking for all modules).

Auto-updated should be as "scheduled" something and probably it's should be with short-time checking. Because it's cloud-based and it's should be with a lot of "updates" (not as part of engine maybe); but anyway - should be up-to-date each hour (or less). If auto-check does not paused by something important. Maybe F-Secure ULAV have logic.. and if you with high network-usage or playing (or other such as watching video; or other reasons for full-screen) game...  it will be detected.. and downloading updates goes be with "delay".

Superuser

thank you, I'll check tomorrow
F-Secure

Hi all!

As Ukko correctly pointed out, the "Check for Updates" button will check for all updates, not just the one associated with the update in that event. The reason we added a "Check for Updates" button in the events and not separately in the UI is that a majority of our users don't tend to need this button at all. However, we needed it for testing and we figured some of the more techie users would appreciate having it.

As far as installing a 3rd-party Firewall alongside this product, we haven't tried it ourselves, but we would assume it would work fine. As mentioned, our more recent products simply configure the built-in Windows firewall anyway. I'd say give it a try and see!

As far as interoperability with other AV software, this is a tricky situation. We have installed this on systems that already have Windows Defender active, and both security solutions work in parallel. However, since they're both essentially fighting with each other to do the same thing (block file access, quarantine, etc.), results can be unpredictable. Sometimes Windows Defender will deal with a malware first, other times it would be our software. This is why we recommend simply running one AV suite.

In the case of existing F-Secure software, Ultralight does have some actual conflicts, which we are resolving. This new product contains some reworked versions of existing components and this is where conflicts may occur. This is why we currently detect the existence of our own products during the installation of Ultralight.

Superuser

@AndyP  thank you

Superuser

Re: F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus updates

is there any preset hydra update frequency ? I started my rig this morning at around 08H30 ULAV kept the yday Hydra, I successfully updated it by hand: is there any automatic schedule ?

Superuser

Hello,

It should be with automatic schedule. And potentially with short-time checking (if there dropped all "limitation", when updates can be paused / with delay or something same).

Spoiler

Simply Hydra-engine can to updated not so often - how you want.

Such as - weekend can be with silence about updates.

Workdays... usually can be "each hour" update per certain business-hours.

And it's can be around nine updates per day for Hydra-engine (or less, or more around).

For F-Secure ULAV it's probably different now, but for "stable"-solutions you can to check F-Secure Dbtracker about updates. It's certainly different one, but... it's can be with same "meanings around" for understanding.. that there "manual-automatic"-work around  for creating updates.

About your situation - probably there should be just one new update for Hydra-engine (and maybe it not happened automatically.. because goes be "logic"-work for prevent network/system stuck for prevent something, which can be overload or something same); or simply last one... around night (Little addition - OK :) or else one.. right now, or else one as just manual re-check.. which related with your story; and it should be third update for Hydra today. But... such as.. if you missing some of them - it will be from first... just latest one already (latest updates for Hydra engine as "one" downloading).)

Superuser

hello !

strange though, as I tried a manual update right now (09H13) and Hydra updated again... I assume I should have had an automatic update since previous one @ 08H00 ... This makes me think the automated update is down for some reason.

Am I wrong ?