F Secure Browsing Protection showing as 'LEGACY' in Firefox

Firefox is warning me that the Browser Protection Extension is out of date and my be disabled (it has tried to once already).

What is F-Secure doing to resolve this issue?

Antivirus 17.193 build 128
Online Safety 2.193 build 6267
Ultralight 2.0 build 457
User Interface 20.00 build 332

Firefox 55.0.3

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@JanD54 wrote:

Firefox is warning me that the Browser Protection Extension is out of date and my be disabled (it has tried to once already).

Ultralight 2.0 build 457

Firefox 55.0.3

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions);

As my unofficial suggestion:

F-Secure do/did something based on SAFE_BUG-01893 (or maybe some else ones);

I do not able to re-check it on current time, but after  TP Release 198 under my one of systems -> Firefox did not show such 'legacy'-label under Addons; If I remember good;

If you're able to re-check it with recent FS Protection build: maybe it possible to re-sure; But anyway -> good to receive official response (and/or for stable builds).

Thanks!

• FS-Jouni
    FS-Jouni Posts: 28 F-Secure Product Expert

Hi

The Firefox warning about legacy extension meant that the Browsing Protection extension was using "old" apis instead of webextensions api based approach which Firefox is slowly enforcing extension developers to go. The current Firefox schedule is such that starting of Firefox 57 the old type extensions are not supported anymore. The Browsing Protection extension was updated to webextensions api based approach on TP198, so that legacy warning should not be visible anymore.

Jouni

(F-Secure R&D)

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

@JanD54 wrote:

Ultralight 2.0 build 457

Firefox 55.0.3

Is this about F-Secure SAFE or FS Protection, btw?

• swesterveld
    swesterveld Posts: 2 New Member

Well, actually the legacy warning is still visible.

I have just installed the Browsing protection extension. It's version 1.0.801, last updated at December 13, 2016. When I click "Check for Updates", Firefox tells me there are no updates found.

• Adauto
    Adauto Posts: 1 New Member

I just installed F-Secure SAFE in place of Kaspersky. I'm loving the antivirus performance, but I missed the extension in Firefox 57.

I hope you can solve this problem as soon as possible and I hope the protection is as good as the performance.

Sorry for my English.

• FS-Jouni

Hi swesterveld, the extension version you are referring to looks like Mac product extension, so are you using Windows or Mac? The latest Windows extension version should be 2.202.7041. The Mac product's extension is not yet migrated to Firefox 57 compatible.

-Jouni

• FS-Jouni

Hi Adauto. Firefox version 57 is not yet the official released one, but in beta/dev edition stage. Mozilla has made it so that beta/dev Firefox uses different Windows registry hives than the official release, so the extension install info is missing there as we don't currently support it. So I would either suggest using official Firefox release (currently 56), or if you want to play around with dev edition, you can manually drag-drop the extension file to opened browser. The extension file can be found from folder <F-Secure install folder>\apps\Ultralight\nif\<id>\browser\install\fs_firefox_https\ . Do note however, that if one manually installs/modifies extension state in official Firefox release, it may not be programmatically updateable after that.

-Jouni

• swesterveld
    swesterveld Posts: 2 New Member

That explains why I still have a legacy version, as I'm using macOS indeed.
    Any idea when I should be able to migrate to a new version with support for the WebExtension API of Firefox? Firefox won't support legacy extensions any longer from version 57, which will be released at November 14th.

• pajp
    pajp Posts: 107 F-Secure Employee

Hi,

we have a new Firefox 57-compatible extension in development for Mac as well, we will release it as an FS Protection upgrade soon.

Rasmus Sten

F-Secure Technology, Mac Team

• AndrewTerry
    AndrewTerry Posts: 3 Observer

Hi F-Secure team - the last update in this thread was 4 weeks ago, and there does not apprear to have been a new release of the extension. Can you give us an idea of how much longer it will be..?

• metoo74
    metoo74 Posts: 1 New Member

hello team,

do you have any estimation time for this release ?

thank you

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@metoo74 wrote:

hello team,

do you have any estimation time for this release ?

thank you

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm only F-Secure user (their home solutions) and not a F-Secure team.

But, most likely, 'this release' is available:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Home-Security/FS-Protection-for-Mac-build/td-p/102029

and for stable F-Secure SAFE (?! and maybe some business solutions?!):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/F-Secure-SAFE-for-Mac-Browsing/ta-p/102110

Thanks!

• AndrewTerry
    AndrewTerry Posts: 3 Observer

Update landed today - v1.0.1021. Thanks to the FSecure Team!

This discussion has been closed.