F-Secure 2014 Internet Security Beta Test Firewall

Superuser

Re: F-Secure 2014 Internet Security Beta Test Firewall

I'm pretty sure DeepGuard has some sort of intrusion prevention, but I could be wrong. What it certainly needs is an option to manually disallow chosen programs, in order to give the user the option of some control.
Senior Advisor

Simon,

Did you try to disable the firewall router???

And test the F-Secure firewall from www.grc.com and www.pcflank.com

See if they pass the test.

Senior Advisor

I am strongly suggesting to F-Secure to discontinue the Windows Firewall.

It is not secure.

I am suggesting to F-Secure to make use of their own firewall with Intrution Detection.

Because it defeat the purpose of using own Windows Firewall and rely on Deep Guard.

Users who are still using Windows XP, still did not get a full protections!

F-Secure Beta testers please inform and feedback F-Secure if you really dislike using Windows default firewall when sending reports.

Advance users must do Pen-Testing with F-Secure Internet Security. 

According to Sophos.

Remote Desktop attacks are very common form of attacks.

I'm not so sure if Deep Guard can detect those attacks!

See:-

http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/us/webattack/114/The+Importance+of+MS12020+Remote+Desktop+Sessio...

That goes the same to the Mac OS X platform.

F-secure please take note of these attacks!!!

Once the payload is in. That's it. We doomed!

Deep Guard must be able to detect such attacks from Incoming and Outgoing firewall rules!

Superuser

Rusli,

I haven't tried to disable the router firewall (not sure what that would achieve), but mine passed both the Shields Up and PC Flank tests.

I too am concerned about the ability of the Windows XP firewall, so will support your comments via feedback to the beta team.
Senior Advisor

Since most modern routers have a firewall, when carrying out these firewall/leak tests you are looking at the results of BOTH the hardware (router) and software (F-Secure) firewall acting together.

Therefore you need to disable the hardware firewall before testing the one in F-Secure.

The problem here is that most home users who do come across the GRC test/other tests and use a router in addition to any software firewall will believe all green means everything is well, when in fact their software is not working as well as it should be. 

Superuser

OK, I've disabled my router firewall (the only way to do this on a Billion 7800N is to create a rule allowing all connections), and performed the Shields Up! and PC Flank tests.  Again, it passed on all levels.  the only way I can get the Shields Up! test to fail is to allow ping through my router.  Even then, all the common ports are still stealthed, and it just fails on the ping test.

Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED — No TCP packets were received from your system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed below — they are all either fully stealthed or blocked by your ISP. However . . .

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Senior Advisor

Simon,

Check to see, whether your Windows Firewall settings are set correctly.

Go to Control panel, Firewall,  then go to Change Notification Settings.

Make sure to check both  Block all incoming connections,including those in the list of allowed apps and Notify me when Windows Firewall block new apps  on BOTH Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings.

And try again. 

See if you get the same results. 

Then feedback to F-Secure Beta team.

Senior Advisor

Blackcat,

Correct!!!

Senior Advisor

Hi All,

Have  anyone tested the F-Secure IS2014 with Windows 8.1 Preview???

Download the Windows 8.1 iso preview here.(Preview means BETA VERSION, Use at your on risk! )

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows-8/preview-iso

Before installing Windows 8.1 Preview.  (Only a fresh install, not applicable for upgrades!)

Make sure you have all your Data Back up. And Make sure you have an Original Windows Disc when you first purchase your computer. Some computer vendor require you to do Recovery Disk. (like HP, Acer, etc)

Download all the drivers that needed before installing Windows 8.1.

There are number of cases that the Windows 8.1 preview version are not stable!

Use a spare hard disk.

Do not use your main daily work harddisk to install Windows 8.1.

Superuser

@Rusli wrote:

Simon,

Check to see, whether your Windows Firewall settings are set correctly.

Go to Control panel, Firewall,  then go to Change Notification Settings.

Make sure to check both  Block all incoming connections,including those in the list of allowed apps and Notify me when Windows Firewall block new apps  on BOTH Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings.

And try again. 

See if you get the same results. 

Then feedback to F-Secure Beta team.

I don't think I have the 'Change Notification Settings' option - this is Windows XP Firewall.   I have a list of 'Exceptions', which are all programs I know and use.  I have just removed the exception for one of them, and the program still works, so I don't know what that proves, as it's a 'good' program anyway.  Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I'm not sure what you want me to try to prove.  I thought I'd already determined that my Firewall is working correctly, with it passing both the Shields Up and PC Flank tests as 'Stealthed'.  

Can I also just add that although I'm testing a beta, this is my main machine, so I am not inclined to take too many risks, just to try to make F-Secure fail, when it appears to be working as it should.  Smiley Happy