Banking Protection popping up for no reason.

In just the past few days or so I noticed(here & there) that the Banking Protection comes up/starts for no reason.  For instance.... I'll be going through my email and click a link to go to a site.  Then I'll close the site out & when I go back to my email the Banking Protection will come up/start.   I'm not sure if this might be a glitch???  Because I'm not buying anything or paying any bills or anything.  I'm just in my email inbox looking through my email or just broswing on a site. 

The Banking Protection has never started while going through my email before(until recently & only does it here & there). 

I think I might have had a Windows & Adobe update recently.  I'm not sure if maybe something happened when that updated?  But, I thought I'd mention it and see if this might have happened to anyone else?

Also, the Banking Protection has come up/started when I was in ebay just browsing through some products.  And I think it started while on another site or two, again just browsing, I wasn't buying anything. 

But now that I think about it, I did purchase something off of ebay but that time the Banking Protection didn't some up/start. 

It isn't starting all the time.  It just does it here & there.

I am running Windows 7 with the latest version of Firefox browser.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    With the emails, is it always triggered by one or two specific emails, or is it completely random? Same for websites. I've also found that some particular emails seem to trigger it, if they contain links to secure sites (perhsps?), and I've also noticed some websites starting BP even though I'm not buying anything. Base.com is one of those.

i'm not sure if it's a glitch, or just something in the website that triggers the banking protection, but if yours seems to be totally random, then I would send in a support request, with an FSDIAG and they will take a look for you.

You could just try reinstalling FS first though, to see if that makes any difference.
  • mp07
    mp07 Posts: 50 Explorer

Thanks Simon!  I thought it was just random emails & sites but I'm not certain.  From what I remember it happened with different emails(2 or 3 times in the past few days & 2 or 3 different sites, I believe).  It just started a couple/few days ago.  So, I'll have to keep a better eye out to see if it might be certain emails or certain sites.  But from what I remember, it was random. 

Maybe I'll wait a couple/few days before I submit a bug report and see if I can find out any more info, such as, if it is related to certain sites(secured) or emails.  It just never did that before, so I thought I'd check and see if maybe anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

• Simon

I'm assuming we're talking about FS Protection beta?  Other than the flyer floating to the top of the screen, I've not noticed any difference in the behaviour of BP.  Have you updated to the latest release?

• mp07

Yes, FS Protection beta.  Yes, I'm pretty sure I have the latest release.  I think there was just an update recently(within the past week).  I always update as soon as I receive the update.   I'm not quite sure what you mean by the flyer floating to the top of the screen.  When the Banking Protection starts for mine, it just shows up at the top of my screen.  But it shows up at weird times, like looking through my email and just browsing on some sites(not buying anything or even anything close to that).

But, of course, since I said something now, it hasn't happened tonight at all.  ....   Smiley Happy

• Simon

Details of the latest version are here:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Home-Security/TP131-Windows-Client-Release/td-p/66511

The Banking Protection flyer now lifts to the top of the screen after a couple of seconds if you don't hover over it. Well, mine does anyway! Smiley Very Happy The new version also has a Time Limits option in Browsing Protection, but that's still only effective when used with Windows user account controls.

I guess it's possible that more sites have been added to what Banking Protection now 'sees', and as I tend to use the same sites most of the time, I may not notice changes in that case. See how it goes, and if it keeps playing about, file a bug report, and also perhaps reinstall FSP. :)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,609 Superuser

Hello,

Probably if F-Secure will be detect time-stamp, when you start shopping/buying (with meanings - not just visit a related shopping/bank pages)......  it will be more "tracking-spy feature", than "security feature". :)

Not sure.. that it's still same situation, but Banking Protection available to be triggered by any connection for HTTPS-source of known banking page. Such as... if there can be any "banking resources" under another page or another variants for "certain connection for known https-bank/online payment website" - Banking Protection can be triggered. I think it's can be already with another design, but something same.. can be explanation for your situation. Potentially... there can be known URLs, which triggered Banking Protection and it will be visible... why it's happened (if it will be available to repeat and check logs).

My experience just about:

- Many(?!) Some pages, which not triggered Banking Protection - but it's should be there.

- One time experience about Banking Protection prompt during looking for preview-pictures under Google search (something as "Live search" maybe).

• mp07

Earlier this week I wasn't on my computer to much.  But just yesterday or the day before, when just looking around online, the BP just activated again.  I copied the link which was ...  http://www.answers.com/article/1260207/movie-scenes-that-went-over-our-heads-when-we-were-young?paramt=11&param4=fb-us-de-entertainment&param1=redcarpet&param2=37418721&param5=10152244228616186&param6=37448231#slide=1

I tried the link again today, but this time when I went to that site(not normally a site I visit).  But the BP didn't activate this time.  So it seems that its completely random. 

The BP did activate on another random site I went on, but I was in a hurry & forgot to copy the link.  I will continue to monitor to see if/when it activates on random sites. 

But, it doesn't seem to be doing it to much now, like it was doing a week or so ago.  So, maybe its just a glitch.

• mp07

I just thought I'd add that the Banking Protection did it a couple times again.  This time when I was just in my inbox in my yahoo email.  I didn't even open any of the emails.  I was just looking through to see who sent me what emails.  Also, last night when I went into my Paypal account, the Banking Protection didn't activate again there either.  I know it used to activate when I would log into my account.  But, lately it isn't.  So, its activating when it shouldn't but not activating when it should.  Hmmmm, seems like mine might be a little backwards ....  :)

• Simon

It does sound a little erratic. My suggestion would be to first reinstall FS, and if the problem persists, raise a support ticket, attaching an FSDIAG so the guys can have a look at what's going on.

Just a thought, have you tried it with another browser, and are you using any add-ons with your current browser?

• mp07

Hmmm, now that you mention about the add ons.  I do have a couple.  But, I had those for quite a while and they never interferred before.   However, I recently(in the past several weeks) gotten iTunes.  And it looks like there's an addon for that.  But, its set to "Ask to Activate" and I've never had it ask me to activate it. 

If I reinstall FS, could you please help me & tell me how I would do that?  How or where do I get my subscription code? 

It's not really all that bad that its happening.  I just have to close it out, when it happens(which isn't hard to do).  And it doesn't happen all the time(just here and there).  But, since this is a beta, I thought I should mention it.  And I was curious to see if anyone else might experience this same thing.

• Simon

You need to reinstall by logging in to the Beta Portal then download and install from there, as you did before.  But first, I would try disabling some / all of your add-ons for a while, and see if that has any effect, or try a different browser for a while.

If you decide to reinstall, then initially, I would try just reinstalling over the top of the current installation.  If that fails, or doesn't fix the problem, then uninstall via Control Panel (Windows), reboot, and reinstall again. 

If anything goes wrong during the install process, or things don't work properly afterwards, then use the F-Secure Uninstallation Tool to fully remove the installation, reboot, then reinstall again.

I've sort of gone from the easiest option first, to the 'get out of trouble' option, but hopefully you won't get to that stage!  Smiley Very Happy

Incidentally, there's an update to FS Protection just come out, so we are now on TP132, which should be the installation in the portal. 

Good luck!

PS.  If you don't decide to reinstall, then at least send a bug report via the Beta Portal, and attach an FSDIAG from the Support Tool, so they can see what might be going on.  Smiley Wink

• mp07

Thank you Simon.  I decided to send in a Bug report with the fsdiag.  They are looking into it.  I'm still debating if I should try and reinstall or not.  Or maybe wait until I hear back on the Bug report.  But, thank you very much for all your help, I really appreciate it.  ... Smiley Happy

• Simon

Reinstalling isn't (or, shouldn't be) a big deal, but I think you're right to wait for a response from the bug report, in case it's something a reinstall won't cure, then you won't be wasting your time.

This discussion has been closed.