Password expiry reminder?

aAbB
aAbB Posts: 2 New Member

Hi,

Would it be possible to add a feature to F-Secure Key?

I am thinking of a reminder/countdown timer that would notify the user when a certain password has been in use for a specified period of time (e.g. 72 days or similar set by the user).

Some platforms, e.g Microsoft, can force the user to change the password after a while but this is not possible in every app/platform/software.

I’d like to change the passwords for critical applications on a regular basis but it is so difficult to remember (or keep browsing Key again and again) when a certain password was last changed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

There is, at least, one feature request about related subject:

Possible to vote it.

But just as discussion between users:

I’d like to change the passwords for critical applications on a regular basis but it is so difficult to remember (or keep browsing Key again and again) when a certain password was last changed.

But what is a regular basis (for you)? I think that maybe this is too much (if to change them too often). Should it protect against undisclosed/undiscovered passwords leaks? Or against brute-force your password?

I think that if your password is enough strong (and long)..... why do not change them once per year? And if so - possible to remember day (Day when you change your passwords).

Otherwise, to change password per suspecting troubles with service/password.

Because, for example, if password is leaked as plain-text -> possible to use right after leak.

If password is leaked as hash -> then if password is enough strong/long - to crack such password is tricky (probably).

In addition, good (critical) services / applications should protect their stored data (not only hash, but maybe salt to hash), protect against brute-force and so on.

Thanks!