Move browser protection plugin to the network filter level

s_rosenthaler
s_rosenthaler Posts: 10 New Member

Installing an additional browser plugin is not state of the art, if possible move this functionality to the network filter level of your products.

Addional browser plugins may stay available for non F-Secure customers as an additional information source.

0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my potential feedback (I'm also only F-Secure user).

But my own feelings is that:

-- main protection functionality already work with suitable level.

-- browser addons/plugins/extensions as F-Secure Browsing Protection addon about extending abilities to handling (safely) secure protocols like HTTPS.

For example, to show 'rating' pictures with search results under HTTPS searchpage; to properly detect/block harmful or banking rated websites under HTTPS; maybe some other tweaks.

But all abilities like block access to harmful-rated page (or so) does not based on addon/extension.

Thanks!

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

It's a combination of both, meaning both are needed for full protection. Cannot do it without extension, unless we breach the E2E security of your client.

-Cale

• MaHeHRO
    MaHeHRO Posts: 20 Enthusiast

https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/comment/102864#Comment_102864You can test the protection with other software (e.g. jDownloader) or in the browser without an extension. Works fine with HTTPS too. One of the few AV software that supports this without MITM (ssl certificate)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for mentioning me.

You can test the protection with other software (e.g. jDownloader) or in the browser without an extension. Works fine with HTTPS too. One of the few AV software that supports this without MITM (ssl certificate)

Perhaps, yes. My reply in this discussion was also about this point (as such).

For example, by "".. to show 'rating' pictures with search results under HTTPS searchpage; to properly detect/block harmful or banking rated websites under HTTPS; maybe some other tweaks..."" I meant showing a block-page describing prevention and that sort of things.

And ""but all abilities like block access to harmful-rated page (or so) does not based on addon/extension"" was with a meaning that even with disabled extension (or without extension) - there is a protection.

By ""browser addons/plugins/extensions as F-Secure Browsing Protection addon about extending abilities to handling (safely) secure protocols like HTTPS."" I meant that this is something like a way to not perform mitm or any other interuption.

The only thing that I admit is the possibility - that with a browser extension - there may be a more accurate receipt of the rating or reputation of the visited page. As a result, somewhat still better protection.

If your comment was just as a reference to my comment - sorry for my try to clarify my opinion. :)

And sorry for my English.

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi Ukko,

Your answer for perfect. We can make the browsing protection (HTTP & HTTPS) without extension, but for good user experience, we need the extension. It is also used for several other features, like banking protection, ad blocker and other future features, which we cannot do any other way.

-Cale