Manual or prompt when available update download

ComTec
ComTec Posts: 2 New Member
edited August 2022 in Feature Requests

Make update downloads either available as manual or prompt that an update is going to be down loaded/installed with a choice of either allow or wait for an "X" amount of minutes, giving the user time to shut down the program he or she has open so no data is lost.

On several occations when an update was automatically downloaded and installed it the program I was working on to stop and then time out (causeing the program to shut down), and when that happened I lost all data I was working on or editing. 

I freelance for simulation designers providing data programs or graphics, and when the update occures, WITHOUT WARNING, and times out what I am working on, and many cases loosing all data I entered, it is not just an inconvinance it is loss of income; double the work at the same quoted cost of my time.

0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

If your concern is about databases updates (signatures, definitions or so) - there some changes with F-Secure engines:

and likely that it will be more lightly. Thus, maybe it can be unoticeable and more friendly to your flow.

In addition, usually, updates check happenes each hour (after latest check). If fresh updates are available - downloading is triggered. Possible to postpone such checks by "Gaming mode"-feature (most likely). Though it is not a solution, but temporary workaround if nothing should prevent your quite experience. Sorry for my English.

Or your concern is about large upgrade for solution?

Thanks!

• ComTec
    ComTec Posts: 2 New Member

Hello,

Do not be sorry for not being a formal customer support team member, after all any advice or suggestion is better than none at all. Also do not worry about your English, you should see some of my German posts to my family and friends in Germany.

I rather have the oppertunity to pause a update download long enough to save/close what I am working on than use 'Gaming mode'. With the pause there is no chance of forgetting to leave 'gaming mode' and miss updates all to gether when I am not working on a project.

Sometimes the large updates are a pain, but it is necessay at times; I retired from my business (ComTec Support {Computer Technical Support}) in 2000, so much is understood and much I know can be changed or modified.

I thank you again for your advice/suggestion and wish you a very good and blessed day.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response and feedback.

I think your feature request is valid. The only addition is that maybe with the future F-Secure engine (should be available soon or already) - a noted trouble can no longer be a tangible trouble.

I rather have the oppertunity to pause a update download long enough to save/close what I am working on than use 'Gaming mode'. With the pause there is no chance of forgetting to leave 'gaming mode' and miss updates all to gether when I am not working on a project.

And, basically, "Gaming mode" should works as "pause". Although it is not possible to schedule certain timeframe (as with your request), of course.

When "Gaming mode" is enabled - it is, anyway, possible to perform manual Check updates on demand (as trigger to check and download available updates). Then, "gaming mode" is disabled automatically after restart system.

There trouble if system is not restarted and "Gaming mode" is not disabled manually.

My own feelings are that your experience is mostly based on "Aquarius" engine (as most heavyweight module and updates for it) updating flow. For example, Community with a lot of examples of complains around it. And future (fresh) engine as replacement for "Aquarius" is more lightly on current day (at least, I feel the difference with my own experience). Thus, maybe it is already not so noticeable and it is impossible to provoke such a critical impact on the system.

Thanks!

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

No product was specified, so assuming SAFE. We have not had reports that the product upgrade (usually three times a year) would cause any issues. It is done in the background and it does not require the PC to be restarted.

Database updates come almost ten times a day and are very small after moving to the Capricorn engine. These also never require restart.

-Cale

This discussion has been closed.