Linux support for Key

Linux support for Key

Would it be possible to have Linux support for Key? I have found that using Key and Linux is quite hard. At first I open the page I'd like to login, then I dig my phone from a pocket, open Key and get the password, then type it to the keyboard while hoping to not make any typos. It is definitely a complicated process. Do you have any plans to extend the support in the near future?

Best Regards,

Teemu Ikonen

26 Comments
S-W
Aspirant

@tme wrote:

Would it be possible to have Linux support for Key?

Hi,

I had exact same problem, I just had an different approach :), see other topic

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Password/Running-F-secure-keys-under-wine/td-p/40099

I do not know if there is security issues, but there are some examples of nicely working linux software that has been done by combining windows software and specially tuned version of wine. Picasa by google for example. 

Br

S-W

Former F-Secure Employee

Hi,

As of now we are not planning to make Linux release of Key. Maintaining wide range of different window and package managers across different distros are always a challenge of their own...

Unless we'd do it in a terminal console mode using command line and/or curses. How would you feel about that option?

-Juha

S-W
Aspirant

Hi,

I guess that console version is better than nothing. For me, it would be perfectly enough just to get password copy/paste to work (have to do it allready on ipad).

I understand problem with maintaining software releases for wide range of linux distros, unless code is open-sourced -and that is not likely to happen in this case Smiley Happy

Would there be any platform-independent possibilities? Like browser plugins? Html5? Java? Isn't android just one JRE?

Br

S-W

F-Secure
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Former F-Secure Employee

It is not only a matter of code portability. There is the packaging and testing. Autofill requires window managers accessibility features etc etc. It could be that we make some kind of entry to Linux at some stage, but currently it is not in the release plans.

BR;

Juha

Scholar

A multiplatform-multibrowser compatible plugin/addon could be a good compromise. The market leader service provider in password and secure notes storage does provide solutions for a wide array of devices, operating systems and browsers.

Provide support for browsers, and you can win over many users.

The fully-fledged desktop application can come later.

hi JuhaT, perhaps we can choose one of major window managers, so we can focus on one platform only
Novice

A command line tool would be perfectly fine for me. I do not need autofill or such of properties. I already have a web browser plugin that can handle autofill operation when desired, but I need a password manager for my dozens of accounts other than websites, such as ssh, pin codes, SQL databases, door keys, etc.

yup, i think we can start with command line tool (ncurses or something). how about that, f-secure?

Scholar
command line tool minimum is required but enough to guarantee adaptation in the gnu/linux user base. (me included) possibly make it OSS so that community can worry about the packaging of your software and transparency to the source code will also benefit the brand of Key.