Communicate on connection trouble

Hoppetosse
Hoppetosse Posts: 5 New Member

On several occasions, i had trouble because Freedome was interfering with the communication infrastructure. Examples:

- cannot connect to a wifi hotspot when fredome vpn is active. I can go Freedome Off, then connect, then reactivate Freedome VPN

- sometimes this is an IKE problem

- etc. 

It would be helpful if Freedome could give alerts, when it tries to connect and does not get thru. 

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply (I'm only F-Secure user);

but does it indeed Freedome troubles (?!) which possible to tweak on their side?.

For example, available next knowledgebase article:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-a-public/ta-p/81929

And, for example, it can be based on design of certain network. How Freedome should to inform about trouble (except already available triggers)?

Thanks!

• Hoppetosse
    Hoppetosse Posts: 5 New Member

Thank you for the link. It for sure describes existing situations, but it does not cover all. 

I have in the meantime more experience with such situations.

More often then not, I am stuck after a meeting (= a situation, where I did use no wifi but LTE before, eg using maps to navigate). Then i want to use maps to navigate to the next or read emails or check the next appointment. The weired thing is, I have new emails, so everything serms to be working. I can check my appointment (because I do not need internet connectivity for that). But ghen I use maps and the system shows “poor connectivity. I hit retry. The wheel spins. 

What happens can be seen with a network analyzer. My phone thinks it us connected but there is no traffic getting thru. Even putting flight mode on and off does not help. In the beginning I rebooted the phone in such situations. Because that helped. 

Fiddling around with Freedome does not help either, because it tries to connect as well and is otherwise unresponsive. 

What helps is turn VPN in the settings off. Then go and restart Freedome. 

What obviously happens is that Freedome got stuck after not being used for a while on certain networks. That applies for wifi as well as for telecoms (LTE, 3G). 

Freedome has a switch to keep the VPN alive with keep-alive packages, what us a battery killer in the end. I’m sure it was built in for this problem. 

However a simple check in the Freedome app like “no internet connection” instead of an endless spinning wheel. which you cannot interrupt, or a reconnect button which kills the VPN and re-establishes connection would be very convenient. 

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

So, probably your described trouble indeed related with potential option to 'keep the VPN on' (as fix-step);

"""However a simple check in the Freedome app like “no internet connection” instead of an endless spinning wheel. which you cannot interrupt, or a reconnect button which kills the VPN and re-establishes connection would be""" 

I able to suspect that your experience with iOS-platform, but probably such design is common for all (most) of supported platforms by Freedome.

And maybe it discussed under community (Freedome-board should be with some topics about this meanings: probably all of noted ones).

I think that Freedome does not create statements "no internet connection" - because indeed trying to connect.

For example, not available so called 'kill switch'-feature... and maybe reasonable that Freedome with tries to /hook/ network-connection with first possibilities. Probably main trouble that it do not reconnect itself (and required to perform workaround steps).

Anyway -> sorry for my replies -> good if there will be any words from official F-Secure Teams (or Freedome Team).

How I able to see -> potential feature is clear notification when 'network is not available' (any) - Freedome able to inform about it (and do not try to connect). Maybe trouble with such feature that not possible to capture when 'network is not available indeed'.

Thanks!