Rai Italian TV

sunflower
sunflower Posts: 3 New Member

Changing my vpn location to Milan/Italy should allow me to watch Italian TV from abroad.

But for a few weeks now Rai has been notifying me that I can't watch their content from abroad whenever I click on their livestream.

How can this be as I'm technically browsing through an Italian VPN?

Similar issue here: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Rai-Italian-public-tv/td-p/87422 

Comments

• yeungmic01
    yeungmic01 Posts: 8 Observer
    I also encounter simular problem when switching the location to Espoo, Finland. Some of the YLE content is blocked.

Domaintool.com do show the server hosted in Finland. (Unlike HKSAR, that points to Singapore as searched) Any ideas?
  • Näsäviisas
    Näsäviisas Posts: 784 Superuser
    @sunflower

Hi

I don't speak Italian language, but I found address: www.rai.it.
    Could you read this website, if there is some information about changes.

Greetings!
    Näsäviisas
  • sunflower

I don't think there have been changes recently. Another user experienced the same issue more than a year ago.

My question is therefore more of a technical nature. The Rai website obviously locates me abroad as it notifies me that their content is only available in Italy. How does this technically work as I'm using the Italian VPN location?

• Näsäviisas
    @sunflower

You could test the next:
    - clean the memory, history and cookies of the browser
    - why? > because they might gossip your location

Another idea: I don't know Italy at all,
    neither RAI TV, but is it possible, that RAI TV has began to block VPN-services?

Good luck!
    Näsäviisas
  • Näsäviisas
    @yeungmic01

My idea:
    Clean memory, history and cookies of the browser, because they might gossip location.

Näsäviisas
  • sunflower

Cleaning one's entire browser history and cookies doesn't help, whether it be Firefox, Opera or Chrome. It doesn't work with the Rai TV app on iOS either.

• NatV
    NatV Posts: 19 Enthusiast

Hi sunflower,

actually I had a similar issue with DR TV (a danish public TV channel provider). 

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Website-detects-freedome-and/td-p/101983

My problem occured only in the Android app and it seems to be solved right now. But I suspect that they were trying to block for VPN access and it didn't work out in the first place. I guess it's only a matter of time before they  have figured out how to do it.

Most likely it will become a challenge to stream via VPN - whether you are not doing anything wrong  (i.e. actuallly streaming from within the country) or whether you use a "foreign" IP to get access from outside.  I'm not happy with it as I fear they eventually will block for VPN access in general. I've heard that Netflix is doing that already.

Let me/us know in case you have further information.

Thanks

Nat

• NordicChestnut
    NordicChestnut Posts: 1 Observer

Same problem with RAI from Finland. I did clean the browser (iPad) cookies and cache, and turned off location sharing, but still “you seem to be connecting from abroad” message. 

Obviously RAI figured out a way to block the VPN trick..... :-(

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info