My Computer Thinks I'm in Finland - Apua!

Liz4
Liz4 Posts: 5 Observer

I'm in the U.S. and have been using VPN settings in the U.S. However, when I go to some retail sites, the prices are in euros and the default country for shipping is Finland. I've checked my Win and Chrome settings and they are fine. I have all updates for Win 10 and Freedome. Please advise.

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Except point with direct F-Secure Support Channels chat or phone ( https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support ) - which maybe not really useful with such situation:

Maybe some temporary suggestion-asks:

-> do you able to provide this retail site-example?

-> what this web-page will say: https://campaigns.f-secure.com/router-checker/en_global/

after using "Check your router"?

-> just, as example, if you switch to another VPN-location (Norway, for example). Such websites anyway show Finland as shipping-option?

Thanks.

• Näsäviisas
    Näsäviisas Posts: 784 Superuser
    Hello Liz4!

Finland is nearly the best country in the world! Need not to worry about.☺

Is this a new problem?
    Is there in win or Chrome settings something of Finnish?
    Is retail dealer in Europe?
    And that's why prices are as euros.
    Can you change country and currency on retail site?

With best greetings!
    🌍 Näsäviisas

• Liz4

Hello,

I checked the router diagnostics and there's no problem.

www.hanes.com -- always shows Finland as the default, no matter what I change the VPN country to.

www.barenecessities.com -- changed to Norway, and it was still on Finland. When I changed to Singapore, the default on the site was Singapore, and now I've changed it back to the U.S. and it's still on Singapore! (Yes, I reloaded.)

Just tried www.nordstrom.com and the default is the U.S. even though they have international shipping, the prices were in dollars. So maybe some sites are working better than others with your VPN. 

It's not a big deal to change euros to dollars but it would be nice if I didn't have to. I haven't tried the chat/phone link yet. 

Thank you. 

• Liz4

Hello,

I KNOW Finland is the best country! I would like to move there with all our problems in the U.S. :-( 

I just noticed the problem recently. Win 10 and Chrome settings are set to U.S./English/proper time zone. Yes, all the sites have international shipping but Nordstrom has me in the U.S. even though they have international. 

Yes, I can change the country on the site but I shouldn't have to. 

Thanks!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Liz4 wrote:

Hello,

I checked the router diagnostics and there's no problem.

www.hanes.com -- always shows Finland as the default, no matter what I change the VPN country to.

www.barenecessities.com -- changed to Norway, and it was still on Finland. When I changed to Singapore, the default on the site was Singapore, and now I've changed it back to the U.S. and it's still on Singapore! (Yes, I reloaded.)

Just tried www.nordstrom.com and the default is the U.S. even though they have international shipping, the prices were in dollars. So maybe some sites are working better than others with your VPN. 

It's not a big deal to change euros to dollars but it would be nice if I didn't have to. I haven't tried the chat/phone link yet. 

Thank you. 

Small suggestion: sounds like that there can be something as "browser's cache" (but not sure how to explain "the switch" from one location-stuck to another-stuck; but all of other things and this one potentially looks like "cache"-trouble).

Do you able to re-check this situation - when you launch browser with private mode (InPrivate, Incognito window or something like that); If there will be all OK and your local currency/shipping-location - most likely there required to clear browser-cache (or for this certain websites);

With my experience: I tried with my own system about hannes.com and barenecessities.com;

First website just do not provide for me ability "checkout" (items did not goes to box); With second website - there is my local currency and proper shipping-location.

Than I turn ON F-Secure Freedome (Denmark-location) -> and re-open second website -> there still was my local currency and proper shipping-location. Since I do not able to expect that there will be Denmark (as VPN-location) -> because settings of system/browser will allow access to my language/local things.

Both of tries was with "InPrivate"-mode (Incognito?! as it called with Chrome)

Also as "side-note" - I'm also just F-Secure user (not an official F-Secure staff)! So it just my unofficial suggestions/advices.

IF there indeed trouble based on "cached" pages and you need help with proper cleaning/clear instructions about it.. just re-ask there.

Maybe we able to help about it with some advices! :)

And sorry for my worst English!

Thanks.

• Liz4

Hi Ukko,

Incognito works!! I'm back in the U.S.  Good in some ways, not so good in others. Smiley Happy  

I emptied my cache yesterday thinking the same thing you suggested but it didn't work. I really appreciate your help! 

Your English is fine -- 100% better than my Danish or Finnish!

Mange tak!

Kiitos paljon!

Liz 

• Liz4

Hi Ukko,

My apologies for this late reply to your nice help. Different retail sites are inconsistent no matter what I try, whether I empty the cache or browse in Incognito. I've copied the Chrome Help link you gave me to make sure I'm emptying the cache correctly. For now, I'll just reset my shipping country to U.S., when I order. I'm sure people in other countries have to do this all the time for their own country. I don't want to be a spoiled American. Smiley Happy 

Again, many thanks!

Liz

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info