Internet connection drops when using Freedome VPN

BobLouder
BobLouder Posts: 4 New Member

Using Freedome on a Windows 7 Computer:

First, I am not interested in using the Netgear OpenVPN to connect to my home network.

Second, was using a Netgear N150 Wireless WNR1000 Router before and had no issues in four years or so.  No other device or configuration changes.

Setup a new Netgear Nighhawk AC 1750 day before yesterday.  I've got everything working... all devices connected, etc.  There are no issues connecting to the Internet when not using FREEDOME VPN Software. Also, I bypassed the router straight to the Charter Spectrum modem and FREEDOME VPN software worked fine.   After about five minutes of internet use, the connection drops.   Windows 7 trouble shooter states: "Vendor firewall is blocking communication.  This UDP communication with IP 198.x.x.x and svchost.exe blocked."

If you have a solution, please respond.  However, I'm not going to download something like DDWRT, etc as this is a family members computer. 

UPDATE: Last night, I was on the phone with a Netgear Sr Level Tech.  At first, he took me to: Advanced>Advanced Setup>Port Forwarding>Add Custom Service.  However, after further discussion we ended up updating the bios via Netgear Download option (would not update by clicking update) and resetting the modem from the router menu.  When we came back, he then took me to Advanced>Setup>LAN Setup> added a specific computer for a reservation.  Then, he took me to Advanced>Setup>WAN Setup> Checked "Default DMZ Server"  with that same computer.  FREEDOME VPN program then appeared to work fine.

Since I had no experience with DMZ, I asked him what it was ... he said something like "it is our VPN".  It was very late and we ended the call.  After getting off the call, I searched the Netgear site and found a "Netgear" article that stated: "Warning: DMZ servers pose a security risk. A computer designated as the default DMZ server loses much of the protection of the firewall and is exposed to exploits from the Internet. If compromised, the DMZ server computer can be used to attack other computers on your network."  So, I reversed the settings back to default.  Back to square one.

Any suggestions?  TIA!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi BobLouder,

Have you checked this article to see if it helps?

• BobLouder
    BobLouder Posts: 4 New Member

Thanks for the response.  I used that info to try and resolve the issue.  Could not.  There needs to be more detailed there.  It would not be hard for F-Secure to look at the interfaces of a few of (Just) the top routers from each (Major) company.  I resolved the issue by buying and installing VyprVPN.   It has only dropped only once and that was after an hour of use.  I've gone as long as two and a half hours straight (the longest test) with no issues during a two day period.

... I like Freedome and will continue to use on Windows 10 and ios devices.

... fyi - I posted this on Netgear site, security software site and here.  During trouble shooting I eleminated that it was the security software by turning it off and still had the issue.  I bypassed the router and went straight through the cable modem with no issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info