Freedome seems to have some iOS 8 issues

csjDK
csjDK Posts: 50 Explorer

I can't really explain, not sure whatt's going on. But after i updated to iOS 8 Freedome seems to connect and disconnect all the time, as if it's struggeling to keep the connection... Like I said, i've got no clue, i'm no expert. I can just see things isn't working as they were... Please investigate.

Comments

• Yes since updating this morning Freedome seems to disconnect alot and I have to keep turning it back on. It never did this before I updated. (ios 8 - iphone 6)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10 Enthusiast

There was issue with Freedome 2.0.1 and iOS 8. Issue is fixed with F-Secure Freedome VPN 2.0.2. It includes fix to this iOS 8 issue. The version is currently being distributed to the App Stores and is already available in many locations.

You can get this version by opening the App Store on your iPhone or iPad and going to the Updates section. If you cannot see Freedome 2.0.2 there yet, just try again a bit later. 

You can also see post: http://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/iOS-8-users-Do-NOT-upgrade-to/td-p/60243

• I have the very latest version (2.0.2) I have only started getting the disconnect issue since updating to it.

• csjDK
    Yes, same here. Doesn't work on my iPhone 4S, can't install profile. It fails overtime. And the old profil is gone. So... But it works on my iPad 2...
  • csjDK
    Correction. It works everywhere.
  • KPa
    KPa Posts: 1

Hi,

I am having similar issues after updating to IOS 8.0.2 on IPhone 5S, Freedome keeps dropping to state "Off" and must be manually set on again. FreeDone version is 2.0.2. I am having paid subscription, which makes this even more annoying. I upgraded/updated both only after 8.0.2 and 2.0.2 were both available.

Did not have similar problen with IOS7 and older version of Freedome.

I have emailed feedback to F-Secure through Freedome feedback function, so let's see what they have to say.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Referring to this thread.

"We have F-Secure Freedome VPN version 2.0.4 submitted to the Apple review process. As soon as Apple approves it, we will publish it to our users. It includes changes that should solve these connection dropping issues when used with iOS 8.0.2"

• Over two weeks now has gone with no working version of Freedome. What's going on? Is this connection dropping issue some minor bug that only some few peple get? What about security, is it safe to use Freedome now when the VPN connection drops off in random period of time? Internet connection doesn't disconnect when the VPN connection drops off so I guess that the current version 2.02 is very bad for security. I mean I really don't watch that little VPN logo in the upper left corner all the time and verify that the connection is secure.
  • Frisjo
    Frisjo Posts: 47 Enthusiast

Hello Muumipappa 

Did you see the post just before yours by Ben?  It explains why it unfortunately takes time for the uppdated version to come to its users. 

Br.

Johan

• Hello,
    Thanks Johan. Yes I did see the post. Yesterday I tried uninstalling everything, Freedome and VPN profile and then reinstalling. Didn't help. VPN shutted down after few minutes and did not come up again by itself as it used to do with the older version "allways on" mode. I tried this with both iPad mini and iPod touch (5). With iOS 8.02. Internet connection continues to work without VPN and ther is nothing to warn you that the connection is unsecure, if you don't keep staring the VPN logo on the upper corner. Freedome client says that VPN yhteyttä alustettaessa tapahtui virhe.. etc.

Regards,

Muumipappa
  • csjDK
    Muumipappa,
    I had something similar happen to me. I use the Swedish location. And it didn't turn on my demand.
    Please go preference under VPN click the "i" to the right of the F-Secure to see the details. If everything is setup correctly, VPN on demand should the turned on default. Although i had some issue with the Swedish location, it somehow didn't install the profile correctly. The VPN on demand option, just wasn't there. So it would only work if I manually turn it on.

So what I did to solve this. I delete the exiting profile. And I tried installing a profile from a different location, UK I believe. I did this until VPN on demand appeared in the VPN profile as described above. One it was there, I went back to Freedome and switch the locate back to Sweden. And it worked.

Hope it make sense... It's a little early.
  • Hi,

Once again I started to look into this. No VPN on demand option. I even uninstalled the whole Freedome client from my iPad.

And now I got really confused.. App Store states that I just downloaded version 2.02, 9.7 Mb, 23.9.2014.

When I look at Freedome Client information section, it says Version 2.0.4.1206.

So finally I guess the new version 2.0.4 is out?!

Regards

Muumipappa

• csjDK

Indeed strange. I can only say that i'm running version 2.0.2.1177.

• csjDK

I can just inform, my VPN on demand just disappeared when I open Freedome to check the version. But if I change location to UK, that profile enables VPN on demand for me... Yeah, confusing. I'm out of suggestions, sorry.

• Hi,

Now my iPod also got the auto-update from App Store and now I'm running Freedome 2.0.4 on both my iPad and iPod. First impression of the new version on my iPad is that it's better. And now I indeed have this VPN on Demand option also.

But.. the VPN still drops off after a while. The good news is that it wakes up again by itself.

Why oh why.. is this some kind of iOS8 energy saving function, that the VPN is on only part time? 

With iOS7 and Freedome i never saw the VPN logo missing unless I manually put VPN off. Something has gone wrong either with Freedome or iOS8.. I want to see the VPN logo always on.

If the VPN dropps off occasionally, how can I be sure that it's on when I need the secure connection? When It's off, is my connection with free WiFi secure or not ?!?

Regards,

Muumipappa

• csjDK

"But.. the VPN still drops off after a while. The good news is that it wakes up again by itself.

Why oh why.. is this some kind of iOS8 energy saving function, that the VPN is on only part time? 

With iOS7 and Freedome i never saw the VPN logo missing unless I manually put VPN off. Something has gone wrong either with Freedome or iOS8.. I want to see the VPN logo always on."

I think iOS 8 have some Wifi issues. I've heard lots of people complaining about poor Wifi with iOS 8. I think the problems lays at Apple. Not sure though. 

• Tapsa
    Tapsa Posts: 82 F-Secure Employee

It is perfectly normal that the Freedome VPN closes the VPN connection when the device is idling. If there is no network traffic, it would waste the battery if the VPN connection would be kept open all the time. When there is again some data traffic that needs to be secured, the VPN connection is opened automatically.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info