Freedome for PC kills my bandwidth

Superuser

Freedome for PC kills my bandwidth

Hi !

I'm just trying Freedome for PC, my internet connection is by optical fiber, usually 480/180 mb/s  PC connected via ethernet (gigabit), using Freedome brings my connection down to a lousy 38 mb/s,

AV is FS, fwall native windows 8.1

any idea ?

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Freedome for PC kills my bandwidth

I have a similar problem. I am connected to a 100 mbps connection and it gets killed by Freedome for PC. I think that connecting to a closer US location would help alleviate this problem, however, that's not an option right now because US locations are not currently available in beta. Even my 4G connection over Verizon's network is faster with Freedome for Android. I hope the connection will get faster for Freedome for PC soon.

Superuser

I live in northern France, whatever location I choose: Parsi, Finland, Germany I have the same results.

F-Secure Product Expert
F-Secure Product Expert

Thanks for the input.

Could you try to connect with a mobile device (Android or IOS ) to the same networks?

Let us know if the bandwidth drops are as significant.

Keep in mind that this is still in Beta(constantly working on it), and  VPN solutions usually come with a noticeable network overhead.

Best Regards

-Ben

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Superuser

sorry, my smartphone is a windows one... won't work on it

When I was investigating VPN options one reason I specifically chose Freedome was because in my testing having the VPN on only slowed my network connection by 0.1 Mbps. Which is extremely impressive and may have had something to do with my service provider (Verizon). Maybe it has a better connection to the Freedome servers than most?

I'm still experiencing little to zero network overhead with Fredome on my mobile phone. However, experience virtually unusable connection via desktop.

I'm betting the connection on desktop will improve over time, especially once US locations open up, which I'm looking forward to. Smiley Wink

Thanks for making such an awesome product! Can't wait until desktop beta is released!

Regards,

ct
Highlighted

Huge props to the F-secure Freedome team for adding US West Coast! I'm currently running on a university network. Since the new location addition I can see far less indications of a slow connection. In fact, I can't even tell that I'm connected to the VPN at all. The connection is that good! Thanks again for adding US locations, huge, huge difference in speed now. I can't wait to see what other improvements come in the future either.

Superuser

we urgently need that in France !

Scholar

Hey!

Im using Freedome on android 4.4.4. software in Finnish carrier network. Freedome is significantly slowing down my download speeds up till 1/10th of the original downloadspeed. In numbers, with Freedome on I get download speeds ranging 3-4mbt/s and without Freedome 30-60mbt/s. I have tried to change virtual location to various countries but It does not seem to help. Can you help me sort out this connectivity problem?

Superuser

I do not think there is any solution at the moment because bandwdwith with a VPN on depends mostly on the VPN servers network and own bandwidth, imo Freedome needs a fast numerous servers network, which it desperately lacks, to be usable.