Freedome blocks Bower traffic

Scholar

Freedome blocks Bower traffic

Bower (http://bower.io/) is a command line tool widely used by web developers. For some reason Freedome blocks bower from downloading the dependencies while a similar tool NPM (https://www.npmjs.com/) works just fine.

Maybe the domain name where bower is trying to download the packages from is blacklisted by Freedome?

I relly like Freedome and would like to keep it activated all the time but bacause of this issue I have to turn if off several times a day. Often I forget to turn it back on too.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Re: Freedome blocks Bower traffic

Hi wuher,

Have you tried to turn off Tracking protection and Browsing protection (one at a time) and retry the download on the same website? Does it work?

Is there any error message seen when you try to download with Freedome on?

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Scholar

Thanks, I tried what you suggested. It seems that bower only works if Freedome is turned off completely. It didn't help if I turned off either one option individually or both at the same time. The error message is always the same:

bower ECMDERR       Failed to execute "git ls-remote --tags --heads git://github.com/ember-cli/loader.js.git", exit code of #128 fatal: unable to connect to github.com: github.com[0: 192.30.252.130]: errno=Connection refused

Additional error details:
fatal: unable to connect to github.com:
github.com[0: 192.30.252.130]: errno=Connection refused

I am definitely able to access github outside of bower even when freedome is on. I can also ping the above IP address without problems when freedome is on. Not sure what bower is doing differently..

Community Manager

Hi wuher,

If that is the case, I would recommend to open a support request or contact our chat support in order to understand the root cause of this. Please do mention about the post here so that they can have a look as well.

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Novice

From what I understand, it's an issue with Bower. If you google Bower Ports you'll find some potentially relevant discussions where other people behind firewalls or using specific VPN connections have issues connecting using Git/Bower. I had problems earlier today while streaming YouTube - all of my SSH connections kept getting dropped, even ping failed. Meanwhile,I didn't have any problems in my browser. I highly recommend testing out this VPN service with as many specialized services as possible. There's a 30-day refund window. So far I'm not impressed, other than the browsing tracking "protection" feature. Not sure privacy-enhancing features are worth the tradeoff in stability and speed I'm currently experiencing.