Freedome Windows - Freedome connects to LAN (printer) instead of WiFi (internet) - how to tell Freed

andreask
andreask Posts: 4 Observer

My home PC has at least two TCP/IP connections (see picture below):

- one over normal LAN to the printer,

- one WiFi to access internet, and

- sometimes another WiFi connection (through an additional WiFi-Dongle) to develpment boards.

Freedome "secures" my LAN connection to the printer instead of securing my internet connection over WiFi.

How to fix it?

Sometimes I have an additional Wifi-dongle to connect to special hardware over WiFi.

How to tell Freedome which network connection to secure?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

freedome.png

Comments

• Sethu
    Sethu Posts: 687 Forum Champion

Hello @andreask

I would assume your wired network is higher priority than the wireless but its depends on your network settings. Anyhow , when you use Freedome, it establishes a VPN connection between your device and F-Secure's servers. This means that, instead of using a direct connection between your device and the Internet, all data traffic is routed through those servers.

Please have a look at this article explains how to testing the Freedome VPN in proper way.

• andreask

Hi Sethu,

thank you for your answer.

I don't think, that Fredome will find access to F-Secure's servers on my printer. (On the LAN network, it tries to establishes  a VPN, there is no internet access at all. There is only my printer and my NAS, both have a fixed IP address, that's all).

To be serious, there is only one question I am interested in:

* How to tell F-Secure, which net connection it should use on Windows 7, if there is more than one network connection (mixed LAN/WiFi)? *

I changed metrics (the ones for IPv4 and v6 connections), priority and order as well as security policies in Windows 7 - nothing worked. Apart that I am an IT Pro with over 30 years of experience, I see no reason to need to change the configuration of a working (operating) system to make any piece of software work....

Freedome is simply failing as VPN under Windows,  because one cannot choose the network connection to secure. (and I am for sure not the only one who has connected peripherals like NAS, printer or similar over a network connection).

I liked the idea behind Sense, but I start regreting to buy it - as I don't need and/or cannot use the other parts of the bundle,  I was forced to buy (Freedome, Key).

Thank you,

Andreas

"Smart is the new dumb." (unknown source)

• Sethu
    Sethu Posts: 687 Forum Champion

Hello @andreask

If I understand you correctly, your local LAN network i.e printer not working when Freedome ON. If yes, please refer this article in where you can see what needs to be done.

* How to tell F-Secure, which net connection it should use on Windows 7, if there is more than one network connection (mixed LAN/WiFi)? *

F-secure freeedome connects automatically whatever your current network connection is, and no matter how many network( adapters) you have enabled on your machine. Normally, the PC uses the faster connection by choice (metrics of transit times), as well as Freedome switch to the current network automatically. Freedome VPN  is a service that lets you access the web safely and privately by routing your connection through a  server and hiding your online actions. When you connect to the Internet, your device is assigned an address that identifies where you are. With Freedome, you can select a virtual location. This gives your device an address in the selected country.

The right way to check whether the Freedome is working on your machine is:

1. Turn Freedome OFF and check the real IP/Location via this website with your browser
    2. Turn Freedome ON and check again this website, you should now see a new address and location, one that corresponds with your Freedome VPN and the country you selected.

Thank you Andres, for sharing your feedback which we deeply appreciate. We value you opinion and see it as an opportunity to learn and improve.

• andreask

Thank you very much.

best regards

Andreas

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info