Freedom won't connect any location on tested router

Nsantana
Nsantana Posts: 4 New Member

Assuming I've tried everything else, is it possible that the router I am connecting with is blocking all VPN traffic and what are we going to do about that?

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Nsantana,

May I know what router are you using? We have seen cases where Freedome cannot establish a VPN connection in a Sagemcom/DNA router. What is the OS of your device?

Do you see any error when you try to connect to a location? Are you able to connect to the VPN on a different network?

• Nsantana

That's a great question. In fact I was in a public location in Tallinn, Estonia, in a shopping mall, such that I don't have access to the router though even if I provided the model number, I suspect that Freedome is being blocked intentionally, though likely in a more general fashion to block all VPNs. My question is, can you advise as to what steps to take such that I might be able to use Freedome in this public environment. In the absence of those options, would you have any explanations as to how and why a router, not including the router you cited in your response, would be used to block the use of Freedome VPN?

• Nsantana

I need to add that no error was given and I exhausted trying all locations available. The Freedome application made an attempt to connect to any location I chose indefinitely.

• Laksh

Hi Nsantana,

This article might help to answer your questions about why you cannot connect to a public Wi-Fi network with Freedome VPN. It's either the VPN protocol is not allowed in the Wi-Fi network or the Wi-Fi requires a login first.

• Nsantana

The WiFi does not require a password as I am on the internet and accessing sites freely, without a password being provided to the WiFi router. One more thing: the router appears to be connected to a WebStar EPX2203 device, but I can't be totally sure. Either way, it is clear that VPN traffic is not being allowed for monitoring or other, similar purposes. I checked the article you sent and as mentioned above it is not relevant to my situation. I'd like to escalate this though and ask how can we obfuscate Freedome VPN such that it would work in an environment that is specifically setup to block it? That's the ten dollar question.

• Laksh

Hi Nsantana,

In your case, based on the information, it might be the case that the administrator of the Wi-Fi network have blocked the VPN protocols. You will have to check with the Wi-Fi administrator for more details to confirm.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info