Does Freedome collect data to identify the user?

Musicbee
Musicbee Posts: 16 New Member

I switched to F-Secure Freedome from TorGuard. In email TorGuard support agent said that Freedome can identify the user.

Screenshot_2015-03-21-19-52-44-1287621-JIMMS.png

Comments

• Sinuce
    Sinuce Posts: 5

@Musicbeeinteresting.

I'd like to hear a response to this as well :)

• Musicbee
    I assumed that TorGuard was lying.
  • Tehfcae
    Tehfcae Posts: 107 Contributor

Ben,

Does F-secure, as a Finish company have to follow EU data retention laws?

It is to my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that EU companies must retain data for some time.

• Tapsa
    Tapsa Posts: 82 F-Secure Employee

Hi,

In short: No, we're not logging our users' traffic. F-Secure is not an operator and the referred data retention directive does not concern us.

A bit longer reply:

It should be noted that when EU court gave its verdict on excessive nature of data retention directive, Finland was in the middle of revising its e-privacy laws and has thus already amended its national laws to better respect people’s online privacy. One of such change is that the data retention obligation is now limited only to chosen companies. F-Secure, or our Freedome service, does not fall under the implementation.  See chapter 19 : section 157 of Finnish information society act. http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset/2014/en20140917.pdf

Yours,

Tapio

• Musicbee

Rest assured we're not logging anything which would identify the users.

Do you have any logs? If you have, I'll switch service.

• Tehfcae
    From their privacy policy:

"We respect your right to privacy.
    We do not log, share nor sell any of your data.
    We do not know what traffic is yours.
    We encrypt your data traffic.
    We do not read your traffic.
    We know security.
    We have no backdoors."

Full policy here: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/legal_global/privacy/freedome
  • I have a problem here-- I have asked F secure many times and got no answer----

do you have Freedome Customer log on and off IP logs---- where you would log the Freedome Customer's original ISP IP when they log  onto Freedome--- they would then be assigned an F Secure IP--- until they log off Freedome for that session---  in which would you again log  off of F Secure Servers  "against the originator ISP IP"---

in which case Freedoome is not anomous---- a search to F secure then your logs would lead right back to the originator ISP and the customer's details?

Can you clarify?

• But users are not anonmymous because you will log their originating ISP IP when they connect to your server?   and will log again against this IP when they log off Freedome  other wise if somebody did something illegal through your VPN  F secure would not be able to trace who did it  and itself would be liable?

Can you clarify this instead of igoring it and Miko Hyponene going on you tube declaring anonymity in F secure products etc etc.

• Your not logging "traffic" but you must be logging ISP IP's of a connecting customer otherwise anybody could do anything online through your VPN and would Fs ecure would be liable

• F secure will not tell me if they are logging customer ISP IP's when "connecting and disconnecting" to Freedome--- this is not the same as logging traffic data and can id a user?

• You are   --- customer ISP originating IP addresses when connecting and disconnecting to Freedome?

This is different to traffic but would still id a user right back to their originating ISP?

The only solution would be not to log the ISP IP and then Freedome would not know who was connecting----- but F secure will not clarify or answer this?

• From https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/2/

Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously? 2015 Edition

News

1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold and for how long?

Freedome

1. We do not keep any such logs. If ever required by law under a jurisdiction, we would implement such a system, but only where applicable and keeping storage time to the minimum required by law of that respective jurisdiction. Note also that no registration is required to use our service, so any log information would generally map to an anonymous, random user ID (UUID) and the user’s public IP address.

The ISP IP matches to a Freedome customer's name and full address with their ISP---- so you do log a persons details and this service is not fuly anonomous.

• Tehfcae

From their privacy policy:

"We respect your right to privacy.

We do not log, share nor sell any of your data.

We do not know what traffic is yours.

We encrypt your data traffic.

We do not read your traffic.

We know security.

We have no backdoors."

Full policy here: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/legal_global/privacy/freedome

I recommend going through their privacy policy and creating a new thread with items you have specific questions about. This is because this thread shows and answered and is likely to be skipped over.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info