Do I need to install a separate F-secure for each virtual machine? (Mac + Parallels + Win10)

leaderment
leaderment Posts: 2 New Member

Hi!

Just to make sure:

I've just installed F-Secure Freedome on my Mac. Is my Windows traffic now protected (Win10 runs on top of Mac system in a Parallels virtual machine)?

- OR -

Do I need to install a  separate licensed copy of Freedome for each virtual machine?

Thanks for Your help and clarification!

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@leaderment wrote:

Hi!

Just to make sure:

I've just installed F-Secure Freedome on my Mac. Is my Windows traffic now protected (Win10 runs on top of Mac system in a Parallels virtual machine)?

- OR -

Do I need to install a  separate licensed copy of Freedome for each virtual machine?

Thanks for Your help and clarification!

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solution); And not friendly with Mac-platform.

Just as temporary unofficial suggestion before any normal and valid ones:

--> I able to think that situation based on how "VM" work (mainly 'network'-adapter and related things);

And I able to expect some situations:

--> You run Freedome on Mac.  System did switch from "your" network adapter to Freedome VPN network adapter.

You run "VM" and it used your 'current' Freedome VPN network adapter.

I able to suspect that your VM-system will be with 'Freedome VPN' IP.

Then -> if Mac (or VM do provide) able to handle network traffic under VM -> so, F-Secure Freedome also able to block (Browsing and Tracking Protection features) certain websites/trackers... even under VM-system.

If Mac do not able detect/handle VM-traffic/network-usage -> so F-Secure Freedome also do not able detect/handle traffic under VM. So... malicious websites or trackers will be not blocked. With such design -> required Freedome installation under VM.

ALSO... possible that your VM will use not a 'current' Freedome VPN network adapter; But your 'classic' normal network adapter. With such design -> VM will be with your own IP. With such design also required Freedome installation under VM.

I able to suspect that such design can be as workaround/trick. So designed view -> Freedome installation under VM (for sure.. that all works), but possible to re-check meanings by your own steps:

--> Run Freedome on Mac;

Run VM;

--> Check about "which IP detected under VM" (by some services, as example);

And re-check if... harmful-rated pages are blocked or not; Possible to check it with F-Secure test pages.

Sorry for long reply! Smiley Sad

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info