cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AirPlay and AirPort Utility not working in combination with Freedome (macOS)

Scholar

AirPlay and AirPort Utility not working in combination with Freedome (macOS)

Apparently using Freedome on my computer prevents me from managing my Wi-Fi base stations from Apple using Airport Utility, and Airplay (in combination with iTunes) doesn’t work. Does anybody know about these problems, and what can I do to fix this?

I’m using macOS 10.13.6, iTunes 12.8.0.150, and AirPort Utility 6.3.8 (638.9).

AirPlay works great if Freedome is off, but it doesn’t work when I establish a secure connection. In that case, I need to restart my computer, then I can use AirPlay again (provided I don’t establish a secure connection using Freedome). This problem has appeared since migrating to a new MacBook Pro that is running High Sierra, previously I have been running Sierra.

AirPort Utility will show a little yellow triangle next to my base stations the moment I establish a secure connection using Freedome. When I press on the triangle, the message says “Device Not Found." In that case, I can still use the internet.

Thank you for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aspirant

Re: AirPlay and AirPort Utility not working in combination with Freedome (macOS)

Try turning the killswitch off. Not holding my breath they're fixing it anytime soon. It's an issue I've had for months. Running Sierra 10.12.6 and Freedome 2.23.5653.6 on MBP 3.1GHz i7. 

3 REPLIES 3
Aspirant

Re: AirPlay and AirPort Utility not working in combination with Freedome (macOS)

Try turning the killswitch off. Not holding my breath they're fixing it anytime soon. It's an issue I've had for months. Running Sierra 10.12.6 and Freedome 2.23.5653.6 on MBP 3.1GHz i7. 

Scholar

Thank  you very much, turning off the kill switch apparently did the trick, and AirPlay works again as well as managing my base station using AirPort Utility. I wouldn't have thought of this on my own.

Aspirant

No worries, glad I could help. In case you didn't notice the killswitch also cripples airdrop and time machine so you might want to check that your backups are ok. Wish there was a solution to this because the killswitch would be useful...