Sense blocking traffic, twitter instagram

Lallu12
Lallu12 Posts: 4 New Member

I have the following setup ISP-Sense-Accesspoints-wireless clients. Clients are Android, IOS and Windows based.  It seems that Sense is sometimes blocking traffic from wireless clients and sometimes not. This is really annoying. The APs and Sense have separate Wifi-networks but it does not matter if they are providing same Wifi-networks. Any ideas what is going on? 

Comments

• When you say blocking, do you mean that you get the sense block page about an url you tried to visit or how do you experience the block?

Post the device info of all the access points and other network devices(router/switch): manufacturers, model and firmware.

Also try if one of the Sense's protections is doing the blocking by temporarily disabling each one of them and doing some testing.

Also there was a case/forum post from another user where sense didn't forward/reply every dns request, and this sounds like the same.

• F6
    F6 Posts: 53 Enthusiast

Hi, this is not clear for me:

The APs and Sense have separate Wifi-networks but it does not matter if they are providing same Wifi-networks. Any ideas what is going on? 

What do you mean: Sense provide the "sense_wifi" SSID, and your AP provide "ap_wifi" SSID ?

If your access points are connected to the LAn side of SENSE (the WAN is the blue port), this should work.

here it is the same config: AP with another SSID, (but no filtering on this AP), but connected on the LAN side.

I have several device using Twitter, and I have no problem at all.

The AP should only provide the WiFi connection: the IP parameters don't matter at all, the AP should'nt provide any IP services, the WiFi connection is like a simple Ethernet cable.

• Lallu12

All APs are connected to the LAN side and they only provide the wifi,  nothing else. This worked before but since adding the sense router and turning the old router to AP-mode,  the problems started. Weird thing is that problems are random. Sometimes everything works fine and sometimes not. Next I will check the cable. 

• F6
    F6 Posts: 53 Enthusiast

It's clear; your config is OK, and must work (and not "should" Smiley Happy ).

Unfortunatly Sense give absolutly no clue on what is blocked and why, when you don't use a browser.

What you could try, from a Windows blocked device: try a nslookup on www.twitter.com . If there's a DNS issue, as feared, you'll see error messages.

• Lallu12

Looks like that the problem is mostly with clients that have sense client installed. For now I have configured Sense router to to provide different SSID than APs and connected problem clients to this network. However this is not really a solution since Sense's wifi does not cover the whole house. Annoying and not what I expected from Sense router. 

This discussion has been closed.