Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Supporter

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

@FS_Simo wrote:

a new iOS app has been released to production that should further address the scenario where all connectivity between the app and sense is permanently lost. We have not been able to reproduce the issue, but we have added more checks to protect the keys in the iOS keychain as well as more logging to debug the issue further if it is still not resolved.

Those of you that have this situation, please reset and run the installation again. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I case of doing a jinx, I have not had any issues since the last reset.

The different thing I did this time, was resetting the app and also removing the app from my iphone. It worked better after removing the app, and removing the cloud data as asked when uninstalling the app.

This have worked good for a long while now.

Aspirant

Hi All,

I lost all devices (from the list, they were still connected) a couple of weeks ago. 

I just left it there and didn’t take any action, but either after the new firmware release on or around November 3rd, or on its own a week ago all devices suddenly came back. 

@FS_Simo, if you want another log, just let me know ;-). 

Cheers

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks for all the feedback,

A comment on this one, thanks for bringing it up:

"The different thing I did this time, was resetting the app and also removing the app from my iphone. It worked better after removing the app, and removing the cloud data as asked when uninstalling the app."

We try to disable cloud backups for the SENSE app configuration during development time, but possibly that configuration has stopped working (maybe during iOS11 transition) so it still sends some stuff into the icloud. We will investigate this issue.

If the app is deleted and re-installed by restoring the cloud data, this will lead in a state where SENSE app can find the router, but cannot talk to it.  This is because mostly everything else BUT the encryption keys are restored from icloud. They are not backed up from keychain. It is important to clear the app data from app settings if the app is re-installed to avoid getting into an inconsistent state.

I'm not sure if this is the root issue for the loss of connectivity between the SENSE app or the router as it did not come up in the discussions here, but I want to highlight that this scenario is not supported and doesn't currently work.

Supporter

@FS_Simo

Just wanted to share what I did not the other 3 times I did a factory reset, and this time it have been working for weeks now, and I did the other thing, that was to remove the app, and answer yes to remove cloud data. I did clear the app as well before removing it.
Scholar

I've tried all of that.

All that is needed to get everything back to normal is to cycle the mains power - off for 10 seconds then back on. Everything is working again - for a couple of days.

The main question is "When the devices disappear from the "Connected" list - are they still protected?

Former F-Secure Employee

Yes, even though they are erroneously shown as 'disconnected' they are still protected assuming they remain in the SENSE network.

We are working hard to wrap up a new firmware release that has various bugfixes for device discovery also. We have not been able to reproduce this problem but we hope that the situation improves.