The “last seen” time stamp for example for my iPad Pro is 27 October 2017, 03:29:05.
The "last seen” time on my iPhone (control device) is 27 October 2017, 03:49:50. This is the only device that is shown as being online in the app.
However, on my Apple TV, this time stamp is 27 October 2017, 03:49:49. This device is also reported as being offline...
I understand the thinking behind filtering the list,but shouldn’t that be based on the time since the last activity of said device, compared to the current time on the Sense itself? For example, if a guest came over and got access to my WLAN, but hasn’t been back for more than 24 hours, I would expect that device to be listed as offline.
I am pretty sure the Linux box inside the Sense can keep track of either IP-based activity or even MAC Address based activity.
Anyway, let me know if you need more information, or if I can try something else to help the debugging.
The timestamp is based on those devices being visible in the kernel ARP table and our device discovery checks that every minute.
Those timestamps you are reporting are pointing to october 27 sounds a bit fishy, but explains why they are "offline". "Current device" is always shown online. Is the application status blue and you are indeed in the right network, so this is current information?
Can you grab a diagnostics log (http://sense.router/diag.log) and send it to sense-feedback(at)f-secure.com with a reference to this discussion, don't paste it here. Maybe the device discovery is somehow malfunctioning / stuck and it's not updating the devices database.
>> I understand the thinking behind filtering the list,but shouldn’t that be based on the time since the last activity of said device, compared to the current time on the Sense itself?
Yes, this is exactly one of the improvements we are going to make.
Thanks for providing this info!
My app status says: Threat blocked, and shows up in orange.
I only have 1 WiFi network (however, with the _5GHz named sister network also showing up).
I have send a current log file to the e-mail address with the title of this chat in it’s subject line.
Thanks, I got your logs.
I can see by looking at the log that the device discovery is indeed broken, it has crashed and there are multiple of them running (which means it's probably stuck somehow as there should be only one). This does explain your scenario where the timestamps have gone stale. Rebooting SENSE should recover from it.
We haven't been able to reproduce this exactly, but we have made quite a few fixes for device discovery based on code analysis. The next firmware release should have these fixes. I don't have a specific release date yet, but sometime during our next development sprint which starts tomorrow.
I sincerely apologise for the trouble, hopefully we have this issue resolved permanently soon.
Just to clarify:
There are two different cases here: one where iOS loses all connectivity (and devices). We still haven't been able to fully reproduce this and it has to do with storing and reading the encryption key from the iOS keychain. We have another improvement coming with the next iOS app release that hopefully fixes this problem and adds some more logging to these functions that handle the keychain in case some people still have issues. Assuming I read the correct log, @D-Fens2 has a case of this one.
Another case is that the SENSE device discovery somehow breaks and stops updating the device status, which in turn makes them appear "offline" in the app. It does not impact protection directly but discovery of devices in SENSE network is impaired, based on the logs sent by @AragonMaverick
I have the recurring problem where my app is telling me that I have 1 device connected and 41 devices that are not connected - all of the devices are accessing the internet perfectly.
Cycling the power rectifies the problem - for a couple of days.
a new iOS app has been released to production that should further address the scenario where all connectivity between the app and sense is permanently lost. We have not been able to reproduce the issue, but we have added more checks to protect the keys in the iOS keychain as well as more logging to debug the issue further if it is still not resolved.
Those of you that have this situation, please reset and run the installation again. Apologies for the inconvenience.
For me, it is not the loss of the sense by the app, but the loss of the connected devices by the sense. It ony shows the IOS device, opm,itting the other 25+ devices that are on the network and connected to the internet, that some hours earlier were all listed as connected.
This topic has been closed due to inactivity. If you would like to discuss this topic further, please start a new post.
You can reference this topic in your post by adding this link:
Visit the Community
Check our Forums or How-to & FAQs for advice or answers
View User Guides
Refer to our getting started guides and product manuals
Talk to our Support and get answers to your questions