Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

A quick look at those app logs shows that the connection credentials are once again empty, which is supposed to be the exact problem we fixed, but seems like we have still missed some scenario or critical code path. We'll take yet another look at our code and try to figure out how we end up in this flow. We have not been successful in reproducing the exact problem so it's not 100% clear how we get there.

 

Apologies and we understand your frustration, we'll keep working on this.

 

 

 

Supporter

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices


@FS_Simo wrote:

A quick look at those app logs shows that the connection credentials are once again empty, which is supposed to be the exact problem we fixed, but seems like we have still missed some scenario or critical code path. We'll take yet another look at our code and try to figure out how we end up in this flow. We have not been successful in reproducing the exact problem so it's not 100% clear how we get there.

 

Apologies and we understand your frustration, we'll keep working on this.

 

 

 


I get that and I´m thankfull for it, but my subscription clock is ticking and I cannot use the product to its full in the meantime...

 

I also did see how Canon did they integration, they got a certificate installed on my phone, but I guess the one you are talking about is something I cannot see as a user?

Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Correct, this is the "password" which is generated during setup that is used to decrypt the traffic between the phone and the router.

Supporter

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices


@FS_Simo wrote:

Correct, this is the "password" which is generated during setup that is used to decrypt the traffic between the phone and the router.


If the Sense removes given devices if they been offline for a while from the device list, would this also then remove the master phone it self?

 

So, new reset once a day to make it work? 

Or any Apple TestFlight project? 

Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

SENSE doesn't "remove" devices, the app only filters / organizes what it shows on the devices screen based on the timestamp attribute.

 

We are speculating there's some issue in storing or reading the encryption password from the phone keychain. Because the system worked for a while at least it went there in the first place, but what happened to it later still needs to be investigated.  Without the password the app is unable to decrypt / encrypt the messages between the router. This is why the devices list appears empty and the settings do not work.

Supporter

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices


@FS_Simo wrote:

SENSE doesn't "remove" devices, the app only filters / organizes what it shows on the devices screen based on the timestamp attribute.

 

We are speculating there's some issue in storing or reading the encryption password from the phone keychain. Because the system worked for a while at least it went there in the first place, but what happened to it later still needs to be investigated.  Without the password the app is unable to decrypt / encrypt the messages between the router. This is why the devices list appears empty and the settings do not work.


Will there be a new version of the app, and is there a timeframe on the date this will be public?

Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

We'll make some improvements to the next update of the iOS app once we have investigated this issue further. If we can find a way to reproduce this then of course it helps us towards making a proper fix.

 

I cannot give you a specific timeline yet, but our iOS dev lead is looking at this issue as a priority item.

Supporter

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices


@FS_Simo wrote:

If we can find a way to reproduce this then of course it helps us towards making a proper fix.

 


Well that is easy, just ask me to use it Smiley Wink

 

Joke aside, I will do another reset of Sense and app tomorrow, it should be back with the issue within 24 hours like last time, so on Friday we will see.

Aspirant

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Hi guys,

 

it worked great for a couple of weeks,  but alas the issue has returned...

 

The app shows only 1 device connected, and 25 not connected, although some of them technically are

 

F447D4BC-98B9-415A-AF08-416889C8B1C0.jpegF24952C4-1308-4C42-98BC-36EA99603972.jpeg

 

The first picture shows the status on the sense app, the second is a screenshot from my iPad, which is supposedly not connected...

 

I am running app version 1.1.2192 on iOS 11.1 (15B93) Beta 5

 

I will also post the router logs in a minute.

 

Hope this information helps with your bug hunting ;-)

 

Cheers,

Peter

Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Hi, thanks for sending us feedback.

 

Can you report the "last seen" timestamp from a device that is supposed to be online, but which is categorized as offline. Also can you check the time on your phone so we can see how far they are apart.

 

The online/offline state in the app is determined if that timestamp is older than 15 minutes compared to current time on your control device. The online/offline state does not affect protection or device settings. It is merely a filter in the app to categorize devices. It seems that in some circumstances it doesn't work correctly, which is clearly confusing and annoying, but the issue is mostly "cosmetic" in the sense that it does not compromise your devices. Obviously this needs to be more reliable.

 

We are working on some improvements that allows the router to keep time better between reboots / power outages, also we are looking into other ways of comparing the elapsed time than relying on the phone's time settings.