Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

I took a look at the log,  I can't see anything obvious wrong, except that the clock on SENSE was 2 months in the future when it started and before it had a chance to sync.

The device visibility and online/offline status in the apps is based on the difference of the 'last seen' timestamp it gets from the gadget and the time and date on your phone. If there's a discrepancy of 5 days, the devices are filtered out of view. The idea was that we would automatically filter out devices that remain offline for a longer period of time.

This logic appears to be clearly problematic in some scenarios where the device clock is off and we are already having discussion on how to improve it.

If you can doublecheck that the date/time of your phone  is accurate, then the issue could be on the router side. If rebooting the SENSE router doesn't help (it usually should), you could try a soft-reset of sense (when it's running, 15+ seconds of reset-button and release it), clear the app data and running the setup again.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but please rest assured that this is now one of our near term fix-list items.

Best Regards:

Simo / SENSE QA Lead

Supporter

Hi,

My mobile get the time from the operator, so it was not the case.

Tested soft reset two times, but the app lost the connection with the Sense after entering wifi name.

Ended up with a factory reset... Forgot to take a screenshot of the port forwarding setup...

At least the device list is up to date.

BTW, the list doesn't support Norwegian letters, I have a apple TV with the letter Ø in it. Don't show in the list, so might add support for ÆØÅ as well Smiley Wink

Keep up the good work F-Secure-SENSE team.

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks for letting us know,

Can you please clarify what you mean by the norwegian letters:

1) "don't show in the list" = our app keyboard is missing norwegian?

2) "don't show in the list" = it doesn't appear in the devices list on the phone at all because it has a norwegian character in the name?

Supporter

Sure I can.

My Apple TV name is:

SMØLA (Place in Norway)

Device list name in Sense is :

SMLA...

My iPhone finds it as SMØLA.

Is it a apple bug or Sense?

Aspirant

I have the same problem, i.e. Sense has lost all the devices, that is the device list is completely empty. I noticed this today, so I am nyt sure if this is related to the iOS 11 update on my iPad, or to the update of the Sense App (that was updated yesterday, after the iOS 11 update).

I have experienced a nearly similar problem before after an update to the Sense App. Not completely sure, but I think that at that time the device list showed my iPad, and rebooting Sense resolved the issue. Now the list is completely empty, and rebooting Sense does not help. I am unwilling to try a reset.

Also, not sure if related, but all the event logs are also completely empty in the Sense app (the System and Threat listings that is). I am not sure if this is related to the rebooting of the device I did a couple of times, as I only noticed this a few moments ago.

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks for these reports, can you try one thing for us:

Are you able to change the SENSE settings in this state? for instance, try changing the display brightness from hardware settings. If chaning these settings is not working even though the app shows a 'blue' state  then we may have a theory what's going on which allows us to move forward.

Best regards:

Simo / SENSE QA Lead

Champion

I in the „Blue state“ and Sense does not change the brightness to dim or off

Aspirant

FS_Simo,

Yes, this is exactly the case. Changing e.g. brightness setting from iOS app has no effect in the Sense device.

Scholar

same here. sense router has no function at the moment

Champion

whitelisting of sites doesn't work, too...