Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Comments

• D-Fens2
    D-Fens2 Posts: 78 Enthusiast

what about this bugfix? can this be released first, not in combination with a feature update? I want to adjust some settings

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Apologies for the delay, we currently have a release candidate in testing that includes a fix for this behavior. We expect to be able to get this released soon.

• KennethN
    KennethN Posts: 47 Enthusiast

The bug is back for me. And I did do a factory reset if you go back a page in this thread.

Edit 1 : reboot of router and phone did not help. Nothing in connected devices and nothing in event logs. So I don't know what it does, but I must say that I still feel like a beta tester for this product. Please, just make the box work...

Edit 2: light dim don't work as well.

Edit 3: I don't have protection..... Why do I say that? Because url that have been blocked before with a warning can now be surfed on. Like isohunt and other urls. This is not good. 

Until you can say that it does as marketing say it should work, I think it would be smart to reset the subscription timer. Right now it only provides wifi, and I don't know if I can trust the device to do what I bought it for. I cannot read logs and I can visit harmful websites...

@FS_Simo

Sorry but I'm not a happy customer. I have been using it for 25% of the subscription time and it has not delivered as promised... Until you can truly say "we fixed it" I think myself and others would like to be credited with correct subscription.

What do you think is right if we change chairs for a moment? 

• D-Fens2

I share your opinion, Kenneth. I also did a factory reset again and hope that the new app will be released before it is rendered useless again. I am not sure if Sense is a better Pi Hole right now, because it never blocked a device for example

• KennethN

Where did my post go? 

I asked a question, and was not happy with the product, and you deleted my post??

@D-Fens2, you have seen my post, please verify that it was there.

This was the message url...

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SENSE/Sense-app-on-iOS-lost-all/m-p/100112#M965

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

KennethN wrote:

Where did my post go? 
    I asked a question, and was not happy with the product, and you deleted my post??

@D-Fens2, you have seen my post, please verify that it was there. 

This was the message url...

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SENSE/Sense-app-on-iOS-lost-all/m-p/100112#M965

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. But I also able to verify that it was there. At least, I read it after some time of your publication.

I able to think that possible to reach F-Secure Community Managers/Moderators and re-ask them about "what if reply randomly placed under quarantine/spam" (this 'feature' as auto-action ?! so it can be just random and based on forum/community-platform engine). I'm not sure how it works and why your reply can be with such view... but most likely it should not be deleted.

With any of meanings -> your reply from my cache-browser (if we talk about such reply): 

Spoiler
    The bug is back for me. And I did do a factory reset if you go back a page in this thread.

Edit 1 : reboot of router and phone did not help. Nothing in connected devices and nothing in event logs. So I don't know what it does, but I must say that I still feel like a beta tester for this product. Please, just make the box work...

Edit 2: light dim don't work as well.

Edit 3: I don't have protection..... Why do I say that? Because url that have been blocked before with a warning can now be surfed on. Like isohunt and other urls. This is not good. 

Until you can say that it does as marketing say it should work, I think it would be smart to reset the subscription timer. Right now it only provides wifi, and I don't know if I can trust the device to do what I bought it for. I cannot read logs and I can visit harmful websites... Sorry but I'm not a happy customer. I have been using it for 25% of the subscription time and it has not delivered as promised... Until you can truly say "we fixed it" I think myself and others would like to be credited with correct subscription.

What do you think is right if we change chairs for a moment? 

Thanks!

• KennethN
    Thank you Ukku!

Lets hope its a machine that did it and not a human that removed it Smiley Wink A company's reply to bad review can also be looked as good review.
  • [Deleted User]

Hi, just an update for everyone: An app version with a fix is currently going through app store review, if Apple finds everything acceptable the update will be automatically released as they approve it.

• D-Fens2

this are good news, thank you for the update!

• [Deleted User]

The app is now available in the app store, keep giving feedback to us. Hopefully this issue has been resolved permanently.

Just a reminder, if the connectivity was permanently lost you need to reset and do setup again to recover.

• KennethN

I will do a reset today and report back.

And to others, create a screenshot of your settings, i.e. open ports etc as they also need to be edited once more. I forgot to take screenshot last time i did a factory reset.

• Jhoufek
    Jhoufek Posts: 10 Observer

All is well with app update, but now have New symbol on my display ...two dashes on each side of two forward slanting vertical bars.....sort of like this:

- -/ /- -

not in manual.....what does that mean ??

• It means internet connection lost.

• Jhoufek
    Jhoufek Posts: 10 Observer

So is this a new glitch with the new update ?  I downloaded the new app, Factory reset the Sense, forgot all info, re-established a new network, and now I intermittently get the above symbol. Main router and Sense units are in exactly the same location as before. Any ideas why I am now losing internet Service with the updates installed ?

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @KennethN,

I noticed that your message has landed up in our Spam Quarantine. I am not sure why it went there; not sure if it is because of certain words in your post. I have now released your message and you should be able to see the message in the post above.

Please note that we do not delete any negative feedback or any posts in our Community. We always hear our customers and make sure to pass it to the right team for their investigation.

• KennethN

@Laksh

Hi, first of all, thank you for the feedback on what did happen! I´m glad to see that you did take time to look into it!

+ 1 for F-Secure from me on that part! (I have been a true follower since I got F-Secure in my hands first time when I got Bachelor's degree back in 2006, and have also brought your products into the company where I work. I work as a Teamleader for a multi country Service Desk team)

Back on the topic of this thread, I did update the app yesterday, and also did a Factory Reset of the router.

Working fine at the moment, but it does take time to do all the geeky config, ports & icons on the connected devices etc.

• Tuge
    Tuge Posts: 14 Observer

I updated the app yesterday, and did a soft reset to the router. After that everything seems to work normally. So I suppose soft reset was enough, instead of a factory reset?

• [Deleted User]

Soft reset is the PREFERRED method as it preserves the current firmware and is a more light-weight process, factory reset (the one you do while powering on) should only be used in case all other courses of action fail.

In both cases the firmware will update during setup, this is to guarantee that you get the latest no matter what.

• KennethN

Hi....

Well this worked for almost 24 hours, but the same issue is back. Only my phone is listed as connected device, and the other 16 is not connected. Even tho they have wifi or lan. I have internet access on my NAS and iPad.

I did remove data from app and did a factory reset yesterday.

What's next?

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 411 Rock Star

Same thing happens with sense-android app(1.0.698),all devices in sense network(s) become grayed,status not correct.Sense power off/on resolves the issue.security firmware 2017-10-03_01 -p 1.3.14.23,radio firmware 1.7.2.10.

• [Deleted User]

The next version of the android app should address the device disappearance problem. We'll make some improvements to the time-handling of the router in a firmware update.

• KennethN

@FS_Simo wrote:

The next version of the android app should address the device disappearance problem. We'll make some improvements to the time-handling of the router in a firmware update.

Will this also help for the iPhone?

See last post on page 5 

• [Deleted User]

Thanks for providing us with more information

We fixed two things: the encryption password should not get overwritten anymore and that the devices are not filtered out from view no matter how "old" they appear to be. Now the devices don't fully disappear anymore, but the root cause of the disappearance in normal circumstances appears to be the difference between those timestamps and current time.

The online/offline state is based on the last seen timestamp (reported by the router) of a given device, if it is older than 15 minutes the device goes "offline".  Maybe we need to tweak these values further also. 

Can you check the last seen timestamp values of those devices that appear 'offline' and let me know how far they are from reality? SENSE continues to protect those devices even if they appear as 'offline' even if that state is erroneous, the user effect is a still annoying but it should be cosmetic.

Apologies, we'll continue working on these issues.

• KennethN
    @FS_Simo wrote:

Thanks for providing us with more information

Can you check the last seen timestamp values of those devices that appear 'offline' and let me know how far they are from reality? SENSE continues to protect those devices even if they appear as 'offline' even if that state is erroneous, the user effect is a still annoying but it should be cosmetic.

Apologies, we'll continue working on these issues.

Hi, 

Right now I have this issues, and I must say, I begin to lose patience about this product.

What have I done last week:

• Wednesday 18.10.2017
      • I did update the app on iPhone, I went into settings and removed data, so the app was blank
      • I did a factory reset on the router, it did run the setup as normal, and I put my config back into it.
    • Friday 20.10.2017
      • Reboot the router with power
        • Worked for a few hours
    • Saturday 21.10.2017
      • Reboot with power
        • No change
    • Sunday 22.10.2017
      • Reboot once more with power
        • No change
      • Created 4G wifi hot spot as I needed internet that works and I can controll.
        • Still running

This is the given status from Friday, and is the "new normal" 

• IMG_4837.jpg

After friday this view disapeard, and now only shows "Connected (0)" and "Not Connected (0)"

This is the view from yesterday:

If I click on "Devices protected" there is nothing in the list. If I drag it down to refresh, it does not update anything.

I cannot change i.e. Brightness, DNS or anything.

IMG_4857.jpgIMG_4858.jpg

Yesterday I needed to whitelist a page, but since I cannot do anything with this white box, I had to open a 4G hotspot from my phone, so that I could work. 

This have been a returning issue for the last 60 days, and if this is not solved, I will need to get in contact with you in some way to return this product. I bought this for a reason, but it does not hold what it promises in the marketing campaign. 

EDIT: removed a picture due to PII

• [Deleted User]

Please verify your iOS app version from the about menu, let's doublecheck it's really the fixed one.

• KennethN

@FS_Simo wrote:

Please verify your iOS app version from the about menu, let's doublecheck it's really the fixed one.

Sure thing, 

No updates in App Store

IMG_4859.jpg

• [Deleted User]

Thanks, that version indeed should be the latest one.

Can you please use the "send feedback" feature in the iOS app, it will send us app logs and we'll take a look with the iOS dev lead to figure out if there's something we can see / we have missed. You can add a note about this discussion there so we know it's you.

• [Deleted User]

Also, please send us the device logs using http://sense.router/diag.log, you can send that to also sense-feedback(at)f-secure.com.

Thanks for your help and apologies.

• KennethN

@FS_Simo wrote:

Thanks, that version indeed should be the latest one.

Can you please use the "send feedback" feature in the iOS app, it will send us app logs and we'll take a look with the iOS dev lead to figure out if there's something we can see / we have missed. You can add a note about this discussion there so we know it's you.

I did that yesterday, so they are there, look for mail from kenneth (a) *.org

I can send the router log when I get home today

• [Deleted User]

A quick look at those app logs shows that the connection credentials are once again empty, which is supposed to be the exact problem we fixed, but seems like we have still missed some scenario or critical code path. We'll take yet another look at our code and try to figure out how we end up in this flow. We have not been successful in reproducing the exact problem so it's not 100% clear how we get there.

Apologies and we understand your frustration, we'll keep working on this.

This discussion has been closed.