SENSE is not a primary router replacement (yet?)

FormerMember
Not applicable

Re: SENSE is not a primary router replacement (yet?)

You cannot have two routers giving the same subnet in the same network.

You can change the sense's subnet to your old 192.168.1.0/24 if you want, but before you change it, you need to change your wan router's subnet to something else like 192.168.2.0/24 so they do not collide.

And if you want to have access from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.2.0 you will need to implemet static routing or something like that, which probably is not possible with these devices(?).

So if you want to access your old router's administration, you will need to connect your pc to it when you need to configure it.

And with all this you will of course lose your connection from sense network to the usb connected to wan router.

I would suggest buying a NAS for the backups.

And with all this you will of course lose your connection from sense network to the usb connected to wan router.

I would suggest buying a NAS for the backups.

Just had an idea... I think a LAN/USB adapter should do the trick as well. plug that into the USB device, and use patch cable to connect the adapter to sense. Would definitely be cheaper than buying a whole new NAS.

FormerMember
Not applicable

I don't think that a lan-usb adapter will convert it like you want. Even googled it a bit to be sure and it seems others share the same opinion.

Highlighted

True.

But maybe I will get started with a Raspberry Pi to host my USB drive...

https://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-network-storage-device/

FormerMember
Not applicable

That certainly is the cheapest option of building a NAS with your stuff.

I like real NAS, especially a very good ones from Synology (but not cheap of course). Robot wink