Connections form Arlo not permanently online

Supporter

Re: Connections form Arlo not permanently online

I did all of this and more.  I have all default settings on the Arlo and the Sense and it still frequently disconnects.  After a week with the Sense, this appears to be the only device I am having issues with.  Anyone from F-Secure care to chime in again?

Former F-Secure Employee

We have been unable to reproduce the issue with the Arlo device we have obtained. It is possibly a combination of issues in your network which lead to this scenario.

Some fixes in the DNS handling are coming in the next firmware update. Let's see if the situation improves after the next update.

Supporter

"A combination of issues in my network"?  So, we all share the same combination of these issues?  Works fine when I plug it into two other routers or my modem.  Looks like it is the Sense, not my network.  Maybe I should return it now while I still can.  When is this update coming?

Former F-Secure Employee

We apologize for your trouble,

What I mean by "combination of issues" is that possibly the network environment you have in conjunction with SENSE somehow results in this problem. There are enough reports here to show that some users have some kind of an interoperability issue with these cameras. It is completely plausible that there is some kind of a bug in SENSE, we just have not been able to reproduce and identify the problem yet. Once we do it's possible for us to investigate and figure out what exacly is wrong.

Can you please provide some more information about your enviroment so that we can try to pinpoint the problem better

- What's your ISP, Router make/model in front of sense, connection type (cable, dsl etc.)

- How is SENSE connected to the internet (wifi / cable?)

- Please also send your diag.log (see earlier instructions) to sense-feedback(at)f-secure.com from the point where Arlos disconnect and reference this discussion in your e-mail. Do not paste it here, please.

In my two separate test environments the Arlo webcams appear to be working normally. Sometime when I launch the app it appears that the arlo webcams are offline for a moment as the application establishes communication with them, but they eventually go online and appear to work properly.

We are expecting to release the new firmware version in a couple of weeks time (obviously as soon as possible), there are still a few things to sort out regarding upcoming features and it needs to be thoroughly tested. That work is ongoing as we speak.

Thanks for your patience and best regards:

Simo / SENSE QA Lead

Supporter

Thank you.  I am using a TP-Link Archer CR700 cable modem connected to Time Warner/Spectrum cable internet.  The SENSE is connected to port 1 on my modem, as this is the port Time Warner says they want routers connected to on this modem (although, I did try other ports as well and the same thing happened).

I can tell when my Arlo Pro hub consistently loses its connection because the middle light on the hub keeps going from green to amber for a bit.  My cameras do not record during these periods.  This does not happen when the Arlo hub is connected to my other routers or directly to my cable modem's built-in router, and the middle light remains green.  It even works fine when attached to my Asus RT AC5300 router connected to a CUJO firewall device.  The CUJO protects the Arlo without connectivity issues.  Note that I do NOT use the CUJO in conjunction with the SENSE, so that is not the issue here.

I will send the requested file later today.  Thank you for investigating.

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks for the log file, indeed it's also visible there that the Arlo device interface keeps going up and down, which explains the connectivity loss. It is likely there is some internal logic in Arlo, which restarts the network interface in some conditions we have not yet been able to determine.

I took a look at one of my devices that has been running longer and I can also see the interface bouncing. Only after several days of continuous operation this started happening, at least I have some kind of a reproduce now so we can try to figure out what's actually wrong.

Supporter

Good news that you can replicate, somewhat.  Good luck fixing it.

Highlighted
Aspirant

Same behavior after reset of Sense device as you requested. So please keep me informed.

Supporter

Is this being actively worked on?  Thanks.

Former F-Secure Employee

Yes, this is one of the issues we are working on,

the Arlo problem is more difficult to reproduce. In my test the arlo app succeeds to connect with the app every time even though it is offline for a while in the beginning and streaming from the cameras continue to work uninterrupted. I can see that arlo goes "orange" occasionally, but it doesn't appear to have a big impact on the user visible behavior when you launch the app and access your cameras.

We have another data streaming bug under work from another device category, which is relatively easy to reproduce.  I believe it could be related. Hopefully if we figure out the root cause for those it can help the arlo case also.

Please bear with us and thanks for your patience.

Best Regards:

Simo / SENSE QA Lead