Browsing protection and tracking protection with Sense and other F-Secure products

So I was just wondering that when I use have Sense as network device with all the protection options on, should I also have Sense's windows pc client's Browsing protection on? And also even top of that should I have Freedome's Browsing protection and Tracking protection on when using Sense device's network?

Example:

Windows pc

+ Sense windows application with Browsing protection

+ Freedome with Tracking and Browsing protection

+ Sense network device with Tracking and Browsing protection

The Sense windows app's Browsing protection is the best since it allows whitelisting and web content control so I would guess that is needed at least for now with Sense network.

But what about Freedomes protections? Are they now just useless as in only encrypted vpn ON is needed.

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my opinion;

I able to think about next points:

I think with 'F-Secure Freedome' + 'F-Secure SENSE application for Windows' there can be useful to use Browsing Protection under SENSE-app and Tracking Protection under F-Secure Freedome. But based on your description... I able to think that SENSE currently covered such Freedome features under their router/network layer;

With my own experience about 'F-Secure SAFE' and 'F-Secure Freedome'.. if we use Browsing Protection with both of them.. it work like:

--> F-Secure SAFE mainly block known harmful/suspicious-rated page;

--> If we allow it under F-Secure SAFE 'list of allow/deny websites'.....  we got the Freedome blockpage about;

--> with F-Secure Freedome there not possible (?!) to allow blockpage (?!?!); So... partly it work as with F-Secure SENSE router layer (as I able to understand);

Probably not useful... at all; But if there will be whitelisting for Freedome/SENSE network layer:

there can be different meanings, limitations and suggestions. Good to read official response from F-Secure SENSE team. It will be interesting.

The Sense windows app's Browsing protection is the best since it allows whitelisting and web content control so I would guess that is needed at least for now with Sense network.

Do you mean that (on current time) with F-Secure SENSE there next design:

-- F-Secure SENSE network-layer block some page and it not possible to "allow access";

-- but if there installed F-Secure SENSE app for Windows (with allow/deny list exclusions) -> it possible to allow page and it re-write "SENSE" network layer decision?

If it like that - probably previously noted trouble (with whitelisting) under community... with potential good workaround (at least, for Windows systems);

Thanks.

• Yeps, freedome's browsing protection sucks since it's the same as sense devices, as you cannot whitelist.

But as I tested yesterday the freedome a bit. And it seems that somehow freedome's tracking protection gets hits when it's on even when Sense device has tracking protection on. So don't know if they both block the same things and both tracking protection counters rise?

Also yes, if I have browsing protection OFF  from freedome but ON on Sense device and Sense win app, I can whitelist sites. As in Sense device doesn't block pages that I have whitelisted with sense win app.

• Still waiting for F-Secure personel to clarify this, since I don't think anyone else can.
    (got the email asking for marking something as solution, but this is not solved yet)
This discussion has been closed.