Bridge mode and throughput?

EsseK
EsseK Posts: 4 New Member

Hi guys!

Seems you have done great job with Sense, giving Norton Core a run for it´s money.

What is the throughput WAN-LAN with all filters on?

For those with an existing router they do not want to change, could it be possible to turn Sense into a transprent bridge with future updates? (Turning off NAT and just let Sense filter the traffic).

BR

Esse

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi EsseK,

I am checking on your questions with our team. I will keep you posted once I have an update.

• EsseK

While we are waiting, could you check if we can use Sense in a small buissnes eviroment? 

BR

/E

• Laksh

Hi EsseK,

As mentioned in this post already, Sense, in its current form, was designed for personal use only. It is not meant for business use.

• EsseK

3 weeks has passed, would be nice with an answer soon.

/E

• Laksh

Hi EsseK,

Sorry to keep you waiting. Please find the answers to your questions below.

> What is the throughput WAN-LAN with all filters on?

In practical cases this depends on many variables, like the number and type of connected devices used simultaneously, the type of the traffic (like browsing vs. downloads vs. streaming) etc. SENSE is recommended for internet connection speeds up to 300Mbit/s.  Unless you have a faster connection, SENSE should work fine for you. 

> For those with an existing router they do not want to change, could it be possible to turn Sense into a transprent bridge with future updates? (Turning off NAT and just let Sense filter the traffic).

Currently this is not supported, ie, SENSE needs to be in the NAT mode. We are looking into the option of providing the security features in bridge mode too but we don’t have further details on this as of now.

• Jvt
    Jvt Posts: 1 New Member

I haven't bought sense because the lack of bridge mode, which is essential. I already have multiple wlan-accesspoints to get better wireless coverage and a Mikrotik router with multiple WAN-connections and don't want to change that.

Looking forward for a bridge-mode functionality...

• Qilly
    Qilly Posts: 12 Observer

I did some testing. The throughput is less than I'm used to but I enabled all protections services. I went for downloading from average of 800 Mbps to 450 Mbps and for uploading from average of 850 Mbps to 650 Mbps.

Hope this helps.

• EsseK

Just as I feared with that hardware, gigabit throughput must be considered as standard for devices like this nowadays.

This and no bride mode is a deal breaker for me... 

/E

• leppenraub
    leppenraub Posts: 14 Observer

Just a note: Also having big trouble cause of lack of bridge mode, especially port forwarding into SENSE subnet.

This discussion has been closed.