text appears which says: Virus- and spyware protection... malfunction

When I highlight F-secure icon on the top-right of the screen, text appears which says: Virus- and spyware protection... malfunction.

So when I place mouse cursor on the f-secure icon it says:

• Virus- and spyware protection... malfunction

And besides that it wont start virusscan of anykind( check - icon in the Client Security program ).

This malfunction has happened lately after I made a System file check(sfc), in which there accurred errors which this sfc could not fix and according to one tutor from microsoft community, it means that generally you have to reinstall operating system( win 7) or it is about component failure so that reinstalling does not help for long time.

But it seems that F-secure does not work at all, or what? I hope it protects from viruses via virus and spyware protection.

Product & platform details

Acer Aspire M3203 / AMD Athlon 215 X2 / 4 GB / 1 TB / nVidia 310 /
Windows 7 Home Premium - computer
Acer Aspire M3203 /
 AMD Athlon 215 X2 / 4 GB / 1 TB /
nVidia 310 / Windows 7 Home Premium(42172)

mouse; optical mouse
operating system; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (FIN/SWE/UK) 
Äänikortti; High Definition 7.1

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

If Virus and Malware Protection has malfunctioned, I would not be confident that you are protected.

My first suggestion would be to reinstall F-Secure.  If that doesn't work first time, then use the F-Secure Uninstallation Tool to fully remove F-Secure, reboot, then reinstall again.

Once you have F-Secure up and running again, you can safely concentrate on the Windows issue. 

Let us know if you need any further help.  :)

• Alpo
    Alpo Posts: 5

Can you recommend free Antivirus and spyware protection - program, which I can use, when F-secure is in "halt" mode?

What do you think about free Microsoft Security Essentials - antivirus program?

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I wouldn't recommend running another anti-virus along side F-Secure, as this may cause conflicts.  If you want something just while you're uninstalling and reinstalling, then MalwareBytes should cover you.  Just don't go surfing the web, or open any email attachments while you're unprotected - but it should only be for a few minutes, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Alpo

This F-secure is university licenced free antivirus and spyware software, so I have not any cd to reinstall F-secure. That's why I asked about free antivirus and spyware program like windows security essentials antivirus and spyware program.

And now University I study has said that they do not give f-secure free of charge anymore so what do you think is windows security essentials optimal free antivirus and spyware program available or do you have better in your knowledge?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

So.. I not sure.. maybe it was with answer already (not really find this).

But potentially... it's mean that current prompt/situation.. related with expired (?!) license-key-code.

Or with expired version of your Client Security (?!).

Just because... it's should be with same prompt and should be with "not able to launch scan-process". Probably it's realted with your descriptions.

----------

About other things.. I created private letter for you (sorry for words).

• Alpo

I proceeded according to this this and this malfunctioning appears now after doing this and that to disappear.

Thanks. But I have to still wait if computer tilts again and I'm afraid it will and maybe system errors are present that this sfc could not fix, but yes it might take some time to

follow your advice and fix those errors by hand, but that's all.

Thanks.

Ps. But now problem seems to be slow internet, because everything seems to download slower than usually. Maybe it's because I'm checking viruses by f-secure( client security)?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Alpo!

Just to follow-up, did you get this issue solved?

// Chrissy

• Alpo

Yes it seems, although unversity does not give anymore f-secure for free.

Now I have not any problem on this f-secure. Now it automatically updates I guess daily. But if I must I take windows security essentials as a new antivirus spyware program. bye.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info