cannot start F Secure when in safe mode

Jack
Jack Posts: 69 Active Engager

I went to safe mode (not online) and tried to start F Secure (I have F Secure internet security, windows 10) but the program will not start.  I want to run a security scan in safe mode.  Why doesn't the program start?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@Jack wrote:

I went to safe mode (not online) and tried to start F Secure (I have F Secure internet security, windows 10) but the program will not start.  I want to run a security scan in safe mode.  Why doesn't the program start?

Hello,

Sorry for my reply -> I'm only F-Secure user (their home solutions);

Potential answer to "why does not the program start" is that F-SECURE Internet Security is not designed to work in Windows Safe Mode.

Potential explanation: if F-Secure Internet Security is reason for troubles with system (break system; system is not loaded) - good to be with ability to load system with Safe Mode and fix such trouble.

But it should not be like this (but just as potential situation). Or maybe it was/is not possible to perform proper scanning in safe mode;

Like potential workaround, for example, MAYBE possible to use their F-Secure Online Scanner with Safe Mode:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner

But it's not a full scan system.

By scanning with F-Secure Internet Security and Safe Mode -> what a main reason there? Why you want to run a security scan in safe mode?

Thanks!

• Jack
    Jack Posts: 69 Active Engager

My girlfriend's computer has a bug that has completely shut it down.  She has McCafey security.  Since she cannot use her computer I want to show her how to start it up in safe mode and do a scan with her McCafee program and hopefully remove the virus.  But in testing on my computer I noticed I can't run F-secure in safe mode, or for that matter I cannot run Malwarebytes in safe mode.  I was hoping there's a trick to it so I can help her.  The virus she has on her computer has complete control, so after she logs on she can't do anything at all

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@Jack wrote:

My girlfriend's computer has a bug that has completely shut it down.  She has McCafey security.  Since she cannot use her computer I want to show her how to start it up in safe mode and do a scan with her McCafee program and hopefully remove the virus.  But in testing on my computer I noticed I can't run F-secure in safe mode, or for that matter I cannot run Malwarebytes in safe mode.  I was hoping there's a trick to it so I can help her.  The virus she has on her computer has complete control, so after she logs on she can't do anything at all

Hello,

I see. Maybe with such situation (and based on F-Secure solutions) -> possible to recommend try to start F-Secure Online Scanner in Safe Mode:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner

May be F-Secure Online Scanner able to detect/remove something with such setting. And then will be possible to boot up system and perform full scanning by other solutions (security software).

I'm not sure if McAfee work with Safe Mode (or not)... and not sure if it possible to do any tricks to run F-Secure Internet Security in Safe Mode (also not clear about trouble with system -> maybe required more steps or even 'recovery' for system).

Just as another suggestion - potentially -> with such situations can be helpful to use something like RescueCD/LiveCD.

For example, F-Secure was with such tool:

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/Rescue%20CD/

But with your certain situation - it maybe not a brief option.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info