browsing protection bug

hello friends, today while i was surfing for free antivirus sites. i came across a site which was first blocked by f-secure browsing protection.(i submitted it to f-secure SAS). but after a while when i went back to search page and then again clicked that link. it seem that it was loading. but when i tried to refresh(as it was loading slowly) f-secure again blocked it. is it normal? i was using google chrome browser (if it has anything to do with the browser) and also my internet is slow. so is that contributing in the problem?

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Don't know as I usually don't re-click a blocked link/site.

Try https://www.virustotal.com/#url to scan the URL with multiple scanners.

• kris
    kris Posts: 38 Explorer

i scanned it on virustotal immediately when f-secure blocked it. virustotal said it is completely clean. zero detection. and also the problem is when i visited the link again. it looked loke it was loading. i saw different images and text loading up. and then suddenly upon refresh f-secure blocked it again.

• NikK

Sounds strange. Maybe it's an ad, javascript or something else that doesn't load every time. I mean that the content is dynamic and not static.

If sometimes only a part of a site is blocked, for example a javascript, you won't see a F-Secure message about it. But it'll probably increase the count for Online Safety - Settings: "Potentially harmful web sites blocked".

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Kris,

From the description it could be then an advertisement, placed by a third party tool/extension on your browser.

Does that website get blocked if you use Internet Explorer? If Chrome is the only one affected, I would suggest you to follow the guidelines available on the following link:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

Noting the settings/preferences that will be lost by doing so.

• kris

hello nikk and IvanD, that url is blocked in all browsers. i tried it in internet explorer too. this time also the same thing happened. first it started to load up. i saw text and images. then it stopped. and because not whole page was loaded and also not properly rendered i tried to refresh it. and upon refresh. f-secure blocked it. also when i added it to exception (for testing purposes only) it first saw some advertisement like image. and then it proceeded to website page. and also that advertisement (ot atleast it looked like advertisement/ kind of promotional thing) was coming intermittantly sometimes. the url is  http://www.esetnod32.in/. i dont know if i should post url here or not. so if not. then apologies in advance.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

F-Secure immediately blocks that link for me.

Just referring to your first post, you said you were looking for 'free antivirus sites'.  As far as I am aware, ESET/Nod32 is not free, so my guess is that the site you linked to is dubious, and may have malicious content of some description that F-Secure is protecting you from.

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

The URL for the Eset Indian site seems okay as scanned by several onlineCheckers, including VirusTotal.

The "free" AV offer is from their Eset India Facebook page, where you link to from the main site. From here you can then win a free license for their Smart Security program.

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-4-15_13-33-9_No-00.png

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-4-15_12-51-34_No-00.png

Overall, I would conclude that this URL is a false positive by F-Secure. 

You can submit a potential false positive URL to this link; https://analysis.f-secure.com/portal/login.html

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-4-15_13-16-56_No-00.png

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

Just got a reply back from the Labs (very quick response) and the site is clean.

"The submitted website has been verified to be clean and the appropriate rating is now updated. The updated rating will take effect in the next database update cycle."

• kris

Thanks IvanD, nikk and blackcat. i too submitted that url to f-secure. the false positive issue is solved now. but what about loading of images and text before f-secure blocked it. is it the way it works? i mean is it only limited to me because of slow internet? or because of browser? or something else? i am sure blocking does not mean only stopping of rendering that site. it must stop all the connections to that website. now the question is why i saw loading of images and text before f-secure blocked it?

@Blackcat wrote:

Just got a reply back from the Labs (very quick response) and the site is clean.

"The submitted website has been verified to be clean and the appropriate rating is now updated. The updated rating will take effect in the next database update cycle."

• NikK

To me it doesn't sound right that the page starts to load before it gets blocked. I've never seen that myself. Maybe it's different with a slow connection, but I assume that F-Secure would put the page load on hold until the page URL has been checked.

Until F-Secure answers, here's some things you could try:

In Online Safety - Settings, there's an option called "Browser extension" where you can Reinstall the extensions. In the description it says: You may need to reinstall the extensions, for example after upgrading or installing a new browser.

You can submit a Support Request and attach an FSDIAG file to it so the support can check your log files and other vital information and maybe see what the problem is.

• kris

@IvanD wrote:

Hi Kris,

Indeed that behavior can be considered normal, especially on slow connections. Without knowing the specifics of the request, it could have been that the site was loading content from different sources; the first content delivered was not considered harmful, however the next one could have been detected and therefore trigger the blocking of the page.

thanks nikk, blackcat, and IvanD. the issue is now solved.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info