Win7 Compatibility and Windows Firewall

Can anyone tell me the long-term policy of F-Secure in regard to those of us who want nothing to do with Windows 10 and intend continuing with Win 7 please.

Also (I have just downloaded the Trial) I discovered F-Sec makes use of Windows Firewall and doesn't appear to have its own product --- Why is this and is it possible to run a stand-alone (NOT Microsoft) Firewall instead?

Thank you,

Ian

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the long-term policy of F-Secure in regard to those of us who want nothing to do with Windows 10 and intend continuing with Win 7 please.

There is an article about it:

Quote (but it is possible to review full article): ""F-secure will continue to support Windows 7 with our home products until 14.01.2021 at least."".

So, at least, one year more. Then, I think, (quote) ""F-Secure cannot guarantee proper operation of the product on on the operating system that has reached end-of-life"" and ""future product update from F-Secure can remove support for the not-supported operating system"".

Also (I have just downloaded the Trial) I discovered F-Sec makes use of Windows Firewall and doesn't appear to have its own product --- Why is this

I am also only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

(many) F-Secure solutions indeed uses Windows Firewall. Already long time how.

Actually, some other companies and vendors too.

My own feelings: modern systems (perhaps, Windows 7 too) with quite well designed built-in firewall; For home use and basic functionality - pretty enough. Then, more compatibility level between security solution and system. To maintain 'own' firewall and to make it better than system one can be too much tricky. However some own additional functionality is something good, of course.

There were some discussions around:

And, perhaps, discussions started since changes with firewall functionality design:

and is it possible to run a stand-alone (NOT Microsoft) Firewall instead?

In general, it is not restricted by something more than 'compatibility'. You can try to do so. My own experience was about F-Secure solution and third-party firewall. But, actually, it was not just a firewall (otherwise, there not so many reasons to use third-party firewall). 

Some tips from F-Secure about:

Thanks!

• Iang_5184
    Iang_5184 Posts: 3 New Member

Hi Ukko,

Many thanks for your response.

I have looked at the various articles you supplied links to but think I prefer a software provider to incorporate their own Firewall into the product.

I must say I am not getting any feeling of confidence about F-Secure for a variety of reasons, so I shall be looking for an alternative product anyway.

Thanks again,

Ian

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response!

I have looked at the various articles you supplied links to but think I prefer a software provider to incorporate their own Firewall into the product.

Just as a discussion between community users: could you then to provide name of vendor / company who is still (or again) with its own firewall as a 'home users' solution (when firewall itself is not the main of their product, of course).

Actually, I also would like to use solution with its own Firewall (extended and advanced) - but I did not find any good one.  Or where implementation is not too much incompatible with many other things.

And I found out F-Secure as a good company - so I feel good enough to use their design (especially, when you still can to use 'any' third-party firewall in addition to F-Secure solution if you want).

I must say I am not getting any feeling of confidence about F-Secure for a variety of reasons, so I shall be looking for an alternative product anyway.

Perhaps, I could highlight only three or four companies that suit me. F-Secure is included.

Good if you will find suitable product for you too. Although it is interesting to know what were the reasons of not enough confidence (I think F-Secure company with quite many good sides - where others can not competing; however, this is about general points).

Thanks!

• Iang_5184
    Iang_5184 Posts: 3 New Member

Hi Ukko,

I have a few AV's to try out (with own Firewall) and will let you know my decision when the trials are completed.

There just seems something "unprofessional" about F-Sec software which is not improved by a relatively sparse and user-unfriendly website --- difficult to define accurately, but definitely a "gut-feeling".

Ian

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info