Why is renewal more expensive than a new subscription?

I wanted to update my F-Secure Antivirus subscription today, but noticed that a 1 year renewal (€49.90) costs more than a new subscription for one year (€39.95). This makes absolutely no sense to me? I've been using F-Secure for 6 years now; is this how loyal customers are rewarded? Is there any reason why I should not order a new subscription and still go for the renewal?

By the way: My current _24_ month renewal from 2 years ago and the one before that, also 24 months,  cost €49.90 as well. So effectively the prices have doubled since then...

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi GvanderVen,

Thank you for reporting it to us. I checked through the page for renewal and the price seen in the main webpage is diffferent than the actual order page. In the main renewal webpage, the price for Anti-Virus seen is €49.90 (3 devices for 1 year). However, once you click on renew in the mainpage and go to the order page, the price for renewal for Anti-Virus is € 34,99 (3 devices for 1 year).

I will forward this to our internal team for them to have a look.

• GvanderVen
    GvanderVen Posts: 6 Observer

Ehm, nope. On the order page, the price is also €49.90.

• GvanderVen

In the mean time, my subscription has expired (leaving me unprotected), because I was waiting for this problem to be solved.

The order page *still* says €49,90.

Can you help me with this quickly please?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I also just F-Secure user.

But do you talk about provided previously URLs (with them - I also can to see difference between page price and order-page price)? Or your experience about kind of "special" renewal URL from mail-letter (as example) or something else?

At least - when you open this URL:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/anti-virus-renew

If it not redirected to some of local-websites of F-Secure (and stay called like this URL) - which prices are visible for you?

For me it will be:

1 computer, 1 year €24.99

and

3 computers, 1 year €34.99

If I choose "Renew"-button (for the second option) - it will trigger next https://onlineshop.f-secure.com/789/purl-anti-virus?cart=146946&language=en&currency=EUR

Where price will be also "€34.99"; and price do not change later (at least with switch to the payment-system; but I did not tried to "renew"/buy it later - so not sure - maybe it change with this step?!);

-------------

Also I can to think that there is can be another URLs (based on specific codes/additional/places) - and maybe you have URL to the order-page (or else something), where price is stuck with another one.

At least - time to time I met (randomly)  F-Secure store URLs about the special offers and promo-actions or local actions.  Which looks like valid URL with large discount (for the current price?!) - but not sure if it can be valid page later.

• GvanderVen

When I click the first link in your message, I indeed see the prices you mention: €24.99 (1 computer/1 year) and €34.99 (3 computers/1 year). This is however not the link I get to when I follow the steps from the f-secure home page or from the renewal reminder from the antivirus application. I get to:

https://www.f-secure.com/nl_NL/web/home_nl/anti-virus-renew

Where it states €39.90 for 1 computer and €49.90 for 3 computers (for me anyway).

The second link you provide however - which is the one that actually matters - does *not* give me the prices that you apparently get. I again get the same €49.90, regardless of whether I a) follow your link directly, b) push the 'Renew' button from the page of your first link, or c) via the 'Renew' button on the link I gave above.

So... I don't know. Maybe there are different prices for different regions or something (although I would expect the entire euro zone to have the same prices), but then it still doesn't make any sense that a renewal costs more than a new license.

• Ukko

Yes,

I also able to get "higher price" with:

https://www.f-secure.com/nl_NL/web/home_nl/anti-virus-renew

But price switched (for me),  when I choose button "renew" (to the "lower"-price);

And URL next:

https://onlineshop.f-secure.com/789/purl-anti-virus?cart=146946&currency=EUR&language=nl

(Where most likely critical for the price can be "789" ; "purl-anti-virus" ; "146946" <-> but this latest maybe more critical)  - which can be as maybe "provider", "which solution/how many", "category of solution/certain page";

And sorry for my suggestion, but what if there something like "cache"-stuck with your browser (or basket under the shop). Do you tried (or if not - do you able to try) - open this "certain" order page from first.. with "inPrivate" (or something like that) mode of browser?

What if it will change anything or anyway... by somewhat reason - you will be still with "stuck-higher"-price?

• Ukko

// as additional to my previous reply. I just a little be tried to repeat situation with my experience (about potential browsers stucks or other).

Ok.. maybe I understand trouble-situation.

But not sure (still) how to repeat it locally.

Time to time (randomly) - there is can be indeed this price €49.90 under the order page.

And look  of webpage a little be "different" with webpage, when price is changed.

At least: with "€49.90"-style there is have "Confirm order"-tab (between Order information and Done); "Continue"-button there as main (with another design there is "buy"-button);  Does it valid with your experience about order-page?

So... I still not sure why this situation there (?! if some servers serve customers with "outdated" view of page; and randomly for Holland it more often). At least - when I switch Country-string to Holland  - price do not changed to me (as higher-view). And I not understand briefly about potential step to get it locally with my experience about "€49.90" (but looks like that possible with certain setting);

• GvanderVen

I appreciate the help Ukko.

I tried clearing my browser cache, cookies and emptied the shopping basket. Tried using Edge instead of Chrome, but all without any effect. The price remains the same.

• Ukko

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. Just as some additional to this troubles.

I decided today re-check situation with F-Secure Freedome.

So, I installed it; Choose Finland as location (because suomi page also have this "higher"-price, which can be switched to the "lower"-price with my experience).

And choose renewal-button. So, the price under the order-page stay with "€49.90" (and there is indeed "changes" with view, which I wrote previously). And looks like that payment-system will be also with "€49.90";

So, at least your experience should be also valid for suomi-users too.

And not sure - if it not known yet (as trouble and not valid situation) or just it expected situation (I read that Steam work like that, where different prices for different locations can be; and possible get "location-price" just with certain location). 

And I not sure that I able to understand reasons (if it mistake) - just if certain servers wrongly serve certain locations. And as result there is "another" (outdated or not) page (with higher-price) under the F-Secure order-shop page too.

Sorry for my reply (just as additional not just to your experience, but about situation with full meanings).

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @GvanderVen,

I communicated this to our internal team for further checking. They did mention to me that the prices are regional.

Regarding your renewal, I will get back to you via private message for further discussion.

• GvanderVen

Just in case Ukko or someone else is interested in how this all played out:

I got a 'special discount' offer to get a 1 year renewal for €39.90. This was after my license already expired, so I didn't know if that would even still work if I got it. So I decided to just get a new license instead; it was the same price anyway, that that would certainly reset the clock for another 12 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info