Why is F-Secure SAFE incompatible with HitmanPro?

Hi everybody!

When I was installing F-Secure SAFE, I needed to remove some products, including HitmanPro. How can F-Secure be incompatible with HitmanPro, as HitmanPro is only an on-demand scanner (only for scanning for malware manually, with no realtime protection)? See my screenshot.fsecure-incompatibleproducts-screenshot.png

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I have both on my machine, but my HMP is just the on demand version, and doesn't run in real time.

What I would suggest is to let FS remove it, and then reinstall it again once FS is installed.  

• steel8
    steel8 Posts: 7 Observer

Yeah, but doesn't "incompatible" mean that it will not be compatible, even after installing F-Secure? I think it is a false alert though.

/steel8

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

It can be incompatible with HitmanPro Alert (based on my own experience).

And maybe such 'compatibility'-detection unintended valid for HitmanPro scanner too. As with previous suggestion -> most likely possible to re-install it later (after F-Secure installation complete).

Just as potential meanings (I read/met such information about some of previous HitmanPro builds) about:

How can F-Secure be incompatible with HitmanPro, as HitmanPro is only an on-demand scanner

Some of security solutions (or only certain one) and HitmanPro on-deman scanner will trigger BSOD under system. Like we launch "HitmanPro" scan-process and during certain step (or scan of certain files) -> BSOD (most likely based on secuirty solution security design/mechanism). Incompatibility based on 'trouble' (which possible to fix).

But not concerned F-Secure. Just as potential situation.

Thanks!

• steel8

@Ukko wrote:

Hello,

It can be incompatible with HitmanPro Alert (based on my own experience).

And maybe such 'compatibility'-detection unintended valid for HitmanPro scanner too. As with previous suggestion -> most likely possible to re-install it later (after F-Secure installation complete).

Just as potential meanings (I read/met such information about some of previous HitmanPro builds) about:

How can F-Secure be incompatible with HitmanPro, as HitmanPro is only an on-demand scanner

Some of security solutions (or only certain one) and HitmanPro on-deman scanner will trigger BSOD under system. Like we launch "HitmanPro" scan-process and during certain step (or scan of certain files) -> BSOD (most likely based on secuirty solution security design/mechanism). Incompatibility based on 'trouble' (which possible to fix).

But not concerned F-Secure. Just as potential situation.

Thanks!

Yeah, thank you. It would be nice with an explanation from the developers also, to be sure.

/steel8

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

It can be useful indeed.

I also with experience that I did 'report' about situation when installed "HitmanPro.Alert" (eventually HitmanPro scanner installed too)  is marked as incompatible software during installation (but not listed). 'String' was not visible.

I'm not sure if it was detection for both solutions or not -> but maybe if it was global trouble -- when there comes fix for proper 'view' under incompatible list (as under your screenshot - visible that such strings with good and visible state) it also comes with 'incompatible'-status for HitmanPro scanner (but such topics/words was under community before my experience);

Thanks.

• Näsäviisas
    Näsäviisas Posts: 784 Superuser
    @steel8

Du hade 3 produkter i samma dator och sedan du ville installera ett mera= fyra tillsammans. Det är fakta, att 2 applikationsprogram kan vara för mycket!

Och översättning:
    You have 3 apps in the same computer and then you wanted to install one more.
    It is a fact, that 2 applicationprogram can be too much.

I am not a developer. In practise I have noted, that troubles might begin.

Näsäviisas
    (Näsvis)

• steel8

@Näsäviisas wrote:
    @steel8

Du hade 3 produkter i samma dator och sedan du ville installera ett mera= fyra tillsammans. Det är fakta, att 2 applikationsprogram kan vara för mycket!

Och översättning:
    You have 3 apps in the same computer and then you wanted to install one more.
    It is a fact, that 2 applicationprogram can be too much.

I am not a developer. In practise I have noted, that troubles might begin.

Näsäviisas
    (Näsvis)

Det är sant om alla fyra skulle varit aktiva samtidigt (realtidsskydd), men eftersom att HitmanPro är en såkallad "on-demand scanner", dvs att den inte körs om man inte startar den manuellt (då den bara utför en virusgenomsökning av datorn), så borde HitmanPro inte påverka datorn när HitmanPro ej körs.

Translation:
    That is true that if all four would've been active at the same time (real-time protection), but because HitmanPro is a so-called "on-demand scanner" (it is not running if you don't start it manually, it only scans your computer when you want it), HitmanPro should not affect the computer when HitmanPro is not running.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info