Trovigo takes over browser

A went to help a friend who reported problems with PC, and on invstigation I found it kept defaulting to trovigo.com on all browsers.

I removed the existing anti virus and put on F-secure but this reported no problems and i cant find anything here??

Can F-Secure remove it?

MAl

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Hi,

I seems Trovigo is a browser hijack, or PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), so technically, not a virus.  You can find more information, and a removal guide here:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/trovigo-virus-removal/

But first, I would try scanning with Malwarebytes to see it that will remove it.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    Nik, are you hiding behind my sofa? Smiley Very Happy
  • NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Yeahh!  We basically wrote the exact same thing at the exact same time. Maybe we've been here to long Smiley Wink

• malHill
    malHill Posts: 2

OK thank you - I tried that and it did wok.

However - I do think programs such as F-Secure should at least have the option to detect and remove such things, to be honest I think mamny many people think that is what these security programs are for.

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 77 Path Finder

"However - I do think programs such as F-Secure should at least have the option to detect and remove such things, to be honest I think many many people think that is what these security programs are for."

I agree in principal, that it would be nice it our paid for security would do what a free version is doing instead. But, not even Bitdefender is scanning for and  removing or quarantining PUPs (Greyware). Their reply (Mod on the Forum) is that PUPs are usually installed with freeware and upon "user consent",  usually via a Express install compared to a Custom install in which a lot of theses add ons would not be installed.

Granted, I've done the Custom install before, only to have had the toolbar install anyway, so I know that isn't a bullet proof solution. I have a couple of programs that were deemed PUPs by MBAM (axcrypt ,and previously I believe, SIW) that in my case was not an issue that F-Secure didn't flag it, as some of them can be an OpenCandy PUPs: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507271/pupoptionalwajama-and-open-candy-found-in-malwarebytes/?p=3153026

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(MBAM) has a free version just like F-Secure has a free version to detect and remove threats: Online Scanner 

The paid version adds real-time protection and malicious website protection (just like a paid version of F-Secure Internet Security)

The big difference, besides PUPs, is that MBAM has main focus on new threats like "zero-day" and even what they call "zero-hour" malware, and don't target older malware that traditional antivirus products detect.

Why most antivirus companies don't target PUPs is I suppose partly because it's hard to define a PUP. What one person consider's a PUP may be considered not a PUP by another.

Malwarebytes PUP criteria: http://www.malwarebytes.org/pup/

• JoniW
    JoniW Posts: 9 Explorer

Hello,

Trovigo and other that kind of add-ons and software are ranked as "unwanted" softwares. Those are not real viruses so F-secure can't remove those in normal virus scan.

In new version of Internet security 2014 there is tool called clean up tool so you can try to remove it with clean up tool.

Clean up tool is under computer security -> tools -> cleanup tool.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info