Trojan not removed

Superuser

Re: Trojan not removed

I was wondering if the simplest solution might be to find it and delete it manually, providing it doesn't look like it's in a system folder?
Superuser

Just another random thought - if an infected file is archived or zipped, and F-Secure cannot deal with it for that reason, if the zip file were to be opened and the rogue file extracted, would F-Secure instantly zap it before it got a chance to execute?
Advocate

Yes, the real-time scan will detect it.

"By default, compressed or archive files, such as ZIP files, are not scanned in real time. F-Secure's antivirus products scan the archive files automatically once you attempt to extract or execute their content."

From http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/Testing-your-virus-protection/ta-p/18294

Superuser

So then, it should, in theory, be safe to open a known infected archived file, for F-Secure to dispose of it. Anyone want to try? Smiley Very Happy
Advocate

If you're unsure, first test with the Eicar files mentioned in the link I posted. You can test an executable file "eicar.com", a zip file including the eicar file, nested archives(a zip file including another zip file that includes eicar.com).

Or the coolest: you can create an eicar file yourself using a text editor.

Aspirant

@Simon wrote:
When F-Secure find this 'trojan', does it tell you where it is on your computer, ie, a path to the file?

no it does not

Aspirant

@NikK wrote:

To see the full path to the file:

From the scan results window, try right click on the "infection" and then select Properties...

scanresults.png

I'll try this, the next time F-secure finds the virus

Advocate
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone who wrote messages and tried to find answers.
I tried a couple of solutions, but none of them worked, and others were too complicated (in my opinion).
Yesterday I decided to re-install Windows 8.1. First 8.0, then updates and then on to 8.1. All is clean now.

Regards, Aike van der Hoeff