Strange folder in Program Data

Hi,

I'm new here and not sure if this is the place to post this:

I have a weird folder in my Program Data that says 'cis1EED'. All it says in properties is that it's an app. Can't find anything about it on the web.... doesn't exist. Scanning it does not show it as malware.

I have an HP laptop Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to delete it if it's important.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

You could try sending a copy of the folder to the F-Secure labs (Submit Sample), but I'm not sure what information they will be able to give you, other than whether it's safe or not.  I guess, if it's analysed as safe, it wouldn't hurt to open it and see what it is.

Alternatively, you could raise a Support Ticket and attach a copy of the folder - however, if it's nothing to do with F-Secure, again, I'm not sure what information you'll receive back, but they are usually quite helpful.

• markiebeau
    markiebeau Posts: 4 Observer

Yeah, I already tried to open it and it said this app can't be opened. Thanx for the speedy response tho.

• Enfcmedic384
    Enfcmedic384 Posts: 181 Enthusiast

When F-Secure helped me once they showed me a web site that I can not find again. It was for windows only but you could go and upload the memory dump file from the previous crash of your computer. It would then break down the dialog of the file so that you could see exactly what is going on. I was wondering in this particular post is there a website where you could do the same with files? That will enable you to see the properties of the files or folder? I know you just deleted your folder and hopefully without incident. I was hoping in the future there was some website like this for files and plus does anyone know of that previous memory dump file analysis ?

• markiebeau
    markiebeau Posts: 4 Observer

I have no idea about such a website...sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info