Strange advice off F Secure

Aspirant

Re: Strange advice off F Secure

Thank you so much Ben. You and Simon have been a great help to me.

NORMAN

Aspirant

Hello again Ben,

Ive been speaking to Barclays today and they are going to send me a Form to fill in and hopefully I may get refunded after being hoaxed by the company pretending to be F-Secure anti virus support. Not only did that Company pretend to be F-Secure they also charged more than the £79 . Barclays tell me they took £89-64p .

I hope F-Secure take firm action because how many more people have they hoaxed?

Thanks again,

Norman 

Superuser

Norman, I suggest you consider asking the bank to block your payment card and send you a new one. This may be a short term hassle if you have payments set up with other companies, but I wouldn't like to think of this company having my card details, and it would at least give you peace of mind that they won't be able to fraudulently charge your card again.
Aspirant

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the  excellent advice which I will certainly take. That company is  so unscrupulous they could help themselves in the future.

regards,

Norman

Aspirant

Hello again Ben & Simon,

Yesterday I emailed Coventry Trading Standard's to investigate this company who hoaxed me into thinking I was dealing with F-Secure as I found an address in that City. They replied & told me to contact y local Trading Standards as they couldn't help . I contacted South Tyneside TS and this morning got this reply which I've pasted below.  They say it was a Scam & the website cant be opened up with the URL I gave them.

regards,

Norman

Good Morning Mr XXXX.             

Thank you for your email to this authority, I have looked at the information you sent us and have conducted some investigations.

Firstly, I’m sorry to tell you that I believe that this is a scam. The link that you gave me of f-secure.antivirussupport.co.uk is not available but I did find another very similar page of antivirussupport.co.uk which appeared to ‘belong’ to the business JMK you mentioned, based in Coventry – could that be the site you looked at

Assuming it was, I did what is called a “Nominet” search (http://www.nominet.org.uk/ then place the web address in the whois box on the bottom left of the page – highly recommended for searching prior to using any website) on the web address. This identifies the owner of the website, so, can give a clue as to whether the site is legitimate or not. For example, the registrant for www.bbc.co.uk is the BBC, based at Portland Street in London, as you would expect, whereas a site which claims to be selling legitimate Nike trainers but is actually based in Hong Kong should be avoided as the chances are the items they are selling are not legitimate.

In this case the registrant for www.antivirussupport.co.uk was based in America, which set alarm bells ringing as F secure (the legitimate business) is based in Finland. Also, general searches have shown that the address in Coventry is a private residential address rather than a business address. Finally, the business JMK is a dormant (non-trading) company with directors based in New Delhi, India.  All of these tactics are often used by scammers to give their site an heir of legitimacy so they can attempt to scam unsuspecting visitors to the site. This leads me to believe that this is a scam.

As far as getting your money back goes, I’m afraid it will be nigh on impossible to retrieve it from the company. As mentioned, they appear to be based either in the USA or India (or both!) and as such, are not bound by UK law. These scammers are aware of this and that is why they are based away from the UK.  I think your best chance of retrieving any money is to fill in the forms that Barclaycard have sent to you and hopefully they will be able to assist.

This authority works closely with the Trading Standards National E-crime unit and London’s Met Police (who lead on E-crime nationally) and I will refer this information to them as it may assist them in further investigations. Please note that they will NOT contact you directly. May I also suggest that you report  this incident to www.actionfraud.police.uk/ .

Please also find a link to Get Safe Online (www.getsafeonline.org/) which will give you advice on staying safe when using the internet.

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Fair Trading Officer

South Tyneside Trading Standards

EDIT: REMOVED POTENTIALY DANGEROUS LINK

Superuser

Thanks for the further information, Norman. The UK banks do say they will cover customers for online fraud, so I still think it would be worth persuing this via your bank.
Aspirant

Hello again Ben,

I have just this morning received the Forms to complete from my Bank so hopefully I'll get my money back.

I noticed today that JMK are once again using the f-secure.antivirussupport.co.uk website which they seemed to have removed when you looked for it.

I am a bit disappointed F-Secure promised to investigate & so far have not told me the result of their investigations.

Thanks for your help Ben & Simon.

NORMAN.

Superuser

I'm guessing the investigation may not be a quick process, Norman, and it may be quite a complex legal procedure to get a website taken down. If you consider the global efforts which have gone into removing websites such as the pirate bay, which is still up and running even now, I guess it can't be easy.

That said, I've no idea what the situation here is now, so perhaps it would be nice to have an update - @Ben ?
Aspirant

Hello again Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed the Bank's paperwork & sent it off.

Yesterday I checked to see if JMK had put their website back up because Ben couldn't find it & neither could I when I checked.

I found it & saved the page for evidence to give my  Credit Car company.

I was going to try & attach it to this post but cant see how I can.

Thanks again to you & Ben.

Norman 

F-Secure Product Expert
F-Secure Product Expert

Hi,

As Simon stated this is now treated by our legal team and I unfortunately can provide very few information.

Norman be sure that I am following the development of this problem internally, and we are taking this matter very seriously.

Best Regards

-Ben

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.