Strange advice off F Secure

2»

Comments

• Norm1944
    Norm1944 Posts: 18 Observer

Hi Ben,

I sent you some info privately so hope you received it.

Best of luck

Norman

• Norm1944

Hi Ben,

If anyone from the F-secure labs or Office wish to get intouch with me then that is no problem. I prefer emails if its not a problem. I dont mind a phone call if emails are not suitable.

Regards

Norman

• Ben
    Ben Posts: 2,020 F-Secure Product Expert

Hi Norman,

Did you already check your PC with our Online Scanner?

Our Lab noted that Bing and Yahoo search engines seem to currently have at least in the UK, questionable ads.

This concerns not only F-Secure but other IT related support services.

Scammers used to cold-call people, but now it seems that targeted ads are in use on search results.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I think the Golden Rule is to never click on any ads, even if they're what you were looking for. Scrolling down to the search engine listings is probably safer, especially if using F-Secure browsing protection, or similar.

• Norm1944

Hello again Ben and Simon,

Yes I have used the F-secure online scanner and have also have my F-secure installed and have used it for for over 5 yrs.

I dont use Bing but I do use Yahoo occasionally  . The main Search Engine I use mostly though is Google.

I think the way I was 'hoaxed' could happen to anyone around my age group but maybe not the young folk who are more  computer literate.

I presume Simon has seen the attachments that I've sent you Ben. They really look professional and if people are too trusting like me they'll get fooled by them. Ive learned a lot over this and will be ultra wary in future.

Hopefully F-Secure can stamp on this problem  as it must harm their reputation. If you remember I just thought it was strange advice at the beginning.

Regards,

Norman Dunn

• Norm1944

Good Morning Ben and Simon,

This is to let you know that my Bank (Barclay's)  have credited my account with the £89-64 that the company pretending to be F-secure charged me.  I sent them all the facts and they obviously agreed I'd been ripped off. So I am happy now and will be very careful in future, Those rogue companies can fool people with their professional looking websites and are still hoaxing people today.  Maybe F-secure should send mailshots to all of its customers warning them of this.

Thanks for your help. I rate you both 10 out of 10 .

Norman

• Simon

Glad to hear that you've been finaicially reimbursed, Norman.  thumb.gif

I'm not sure there's anything much else that F-Secure can do, now that legal wheels are in motion, but hopefully we will get to hear when there is an evantual outcome. 

• Simon
    I've just checked out the original link again, and it seems that F-Secure may have been removed from the list of vendors the rogue company claims to support. There are still other anti-virus vendors listed at the bottom of the home page, but I guess there's not much F-Secure can do about that. All we can do is hope that other AV vendors take action to protect their customers, like it seems F-Secure have.
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info