Space on Disk C used by temporary updates files

Hi,

The Disk C on my laptop is rather small. (Don't blame me for that, please. This is my only laptop and I use it for work).

The FS temporary updates files are automatically downloaded to this location:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\fsaua.tmp\guts.sp.f-secure.com_##_#########_infopak.zip

Usually, downloading goes on until it reaches 0 MB on Disk C.  (Typically, there is about 700 MB free n my Disk C before the FS updates are downloaded; therefore, the updates files are larger than 700 MB).

Naturally, with 0 MB on Disk C, the system goes wrong (although, it will not always hand or crash).

In order to bring the system back to life, I simply delete the updates files. (And my recycle bin is located on Disc D, as well as all internet or other temp files, so that deleting itself does not cause a problem).

An FS expert has advised me that it is not possible to relocate the temp updates files to another disk.

Note, that there NO WARNING SIGN anywhere that in order to let FS work properly, a customer should reserve a couple of GB on their Disk C!

Anyway, it seems that there is a very simple solution how to avoid the Disk C overflow:  while downloading updates, FS should check that the remaining space on Disk C is 50 or 100 or whatever MB, and if it is less, it should stop.

Thanks.

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

Hello,

0. We agree, F-Secure virus recognition databases consume way too much HDD space! The main culprit is the Aquarius scan engine.

1. However, F-Secure actually checks if there is enough free space before downloading, see:

Jul 21 18:07:14 2013(2):  Enough disk space to download 'aquawin32' version '1374416273'

(needed:65142 have:4429074432) mode: DIFFLIST
    Jul 21 18:07:19 2013(3):  Database 'aquawin32' version '1374416273' db_size '290222247', free '4406784000'
    Jul 21 18:07:21 2013(3):  Downloaded 'F-Secure Aquarius Update 2013-07-21_06' - 'aquawin32'

version '1374416273' from psb1-bw.sp.f-secure.com, 290222247 bytes (download size 65142 bytes)

2. Use some tool to enlarge your drive C: at the expense of free space on drive D: of your HDD. (I think Paragon can do that without reinstalling, for example.)

3. If not, you may wish to download and run the following F-Secure utility tool regularly, preferably with the -i and -v command line switches:

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/support/tools/FSAUA-Reset/fsaua-reset.zip

Best regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• Ok, thanks!

How can I switch OFF the automatic updates by FS?  I cannot find this switch in the settings...

Thanks

• No, F-secure does not check for available space, which hits me hard, as I have set up a RAM disk of 512MB for temporary internet files and temporary windows files, plus the temp files of some other programs, which improves speed a lot.

Every day, the RAM-drive got full, for some time now, meaning F-secure has not always behaved like that!

I wondered a this time if some hidden cookies or internet cache files ate up my RAM drive, then I discovered that F-secure did not clean up after itself, this is something you would expect an _antivirus_ program to do, not clog up the PC with temp-files.

Not even Internet Explorer's many temp-folders and files clog up the RAM-drive, like F-secure's update process, and I know many programs don't clean up after themselves, however why not F-secure?

It should be very easy, like deleting *.* in it's temp-folder, as soon as the update and copying/unpacking of files or whatever is finished.

• Siltanen
    Siltanen Posts: 61 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello thenden,

The temporary files are removed in cycles, it might take a couple of new updates for the directory to be cleaned, but it will be cleaned out eventually. There's no way around this, unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info