Since 26 hours no more updates

What is going on there?

There have been no updates for 26 hours.
This is not good for an antivirus program and I do not know that from others either.

That was already a few weeks ago.
Do I have to look for another antivirus program?

Comments

• MNielsen
    MNielsen Posts: 70 Active Engager

"What is going on there?"

Or rather what's NOT going on here? 

This hat been a problem since they changed from Aquarius to Capricorn: No updates in weekends, and every other days, fewer. Perhaps, we simply should stop paying, and only use Windows Defender, AVG Free or Avast! Free? (Some irony may be used here.......)

• Fax1
    Fax1 Posts: 3 New Member
    Yeap, no updates since a day and half... not good. They must a poor control system on their servers. Which is, for a security company, not promising Smiley Wink
  • MNielsen

And doing the usual things:

Resetting F-Secure's update: Don't help.

Reinstalling F-Secure: Don't help.

So.... The "F" means: FIX-Secure!!

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

Hey,

If the product hasn't been warning you about too old virus definitions, there is most likely no reason for panic. Not all channels update or need to update on daily basis. 

• Heinz1961
    Heinz1961 Posts: 8 New Member

That should be a joke?

Then i can not recommend F-Secure to anyone.

An antivirus program that is not updated several times a day is NOT SAFE for me.

F-Secure has been uninstalled here. I will look for another provider.

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

It would be fairly nice to get an official response and maybe a knowledge base article on what one should expect.

• MNielsen

From Aquarius to Capricorn, that was the time when it went wrong, as I wrote earlier... Before, there allways was updates on weekends, when F-Secure was using Aquarius-updates. Now, with Capricorn, no updates in weekends.

• MNielsen

When uninstalling F-Secure, the computer don't ask for a restart. Do it anyway, so you are sure, Windows Defender is running correctly.

• Fax1

@MNielsen wrote:

From Aquarius to Capricorn, that was the time when it went wrong, as I wrote earlier... Before, there allways was updates on weekends, when F-Secure was using Aquarius-updates. Now, with Capricorn, no updates in weekends.

Avira definitions (Capricorn) are also released on weekends, there is no reason to stop weekends, malware authors don't :)

• MNielsen

But that is, what I have experienced, they do. And when monday comes, updatings are starting again. And the server isn't down, have just tested that on the site "isitdown"

Updating.JPG

• Fax1

@MNielsen wrote:

But that is, what I have experienced, they do. And when monday comes, updatings are starting again. And the server isn't down, have just tested that on the site "isitdown"

Lets hope that they are connected to the Avira cloud infrastructure...
  • MNielsen

I don't think, they are connected anywhere.......

I downloaded the resetting-tool, for tesetting the updater. Rightclicked on it, Clicked on Run as administrator, and in the opened commandprompt, pressed "Y" for Yes. The updater was resetted, but of course, it didn't help!

• MNielsen

Now, at last, there was an update for Capricorn!!!!!!!

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Everyone,

Due to an internal configuration issue, customers may have not received new Capricorn updates between 29th March 2019 1259hrs UTC and 1st April 2019 0440hrs UTC.

Although during this interval, the product reported 'Capricorn 2019-03-29_02' as the latest installed update, customers with Security Cloud enabled (default configuration) continued to receive immediate protection against the latest threats.

This issue was resolved when the 'Capricorn 2019-03-31_03' database update was made available at 0440hrs UTC on 1st April 2019.

• MNielsen

It's working - for now. Hopes, there's also updates in the weekends...

As you see in the screenshot, I now got updates again:

working updates.JPG 

It only LOOKS like, I got updates also yesterday. But this was only because I tried to reset the updater by using the resetting-tool...

Where, to do this: "Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know." I can't see anywhere, or is it only the original poster, who can do that?

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @MNielsen ,

Thank you for confirming it is working!

Are you mentioning about accepting the solution for this thread? If that's the case, then yes, the original poster or the Community Moderators can only accept it as a solution.

If you are asking about adding your signature like that, you can do so via: Click your profile icon on the top > Click 'My Settings' > Under 'Personal' > Under 'Personal Information' > Signature.

• MNielsen

It was the first one: "Are you mentioning about accepting the solution for this thread?"

And please remember to keep the updates running also in the weekends!! Otherwice, we simply could find an AVG Free, or Avast Free! Smiley Happy 

But are you actually  testing an "F-Secure Free"-version, and accidentally configured the updating-servers to only that? :-D 

• MNielsen

Now, AGAIN-AGAIN!!! No updates! When do you fix it? Remember, we are paying for this.

no updates.JPG

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,609 Superuser

@MNielsen wrote:

Now, AGAIN-AGAIN!!! No updates! When do you fix it? Remember, we are paying for this.

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

And, although, I feel that trouble with receiving updates is critical - I am not sure that it is too much critical with current design.

My own experience is about beta F-Secure SAFE (fs protection) - and each time there were updates on weekengs. Thus, sounds that there is a trouble as "bug" for a stable build (but based on replies - it was tuned up; and furthermore - https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/What-s-New-in-F-Secure-SAFE-for/ta-p/114566 with remark about "Improved reliability for engine updates" :: Released as 17.6 [April] - so, does your experience is about 17.6 release or about 17.5 yet?!).

Just because the weekend is just beginning - maybe updates are not published yet. For example, my beta installation also about such state as your screenshot (for except, beta updates for Hydra). But if (then) current weekends became with trouble as before - maybe... good to contact their Support directly (for sure) - https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support.

My own feelings are:

-- with previous engine there was also "reduced" count of updates on weekends.

thus, it is not pinned to Capricorn engine (it should be with updates on weekends too). And, usually, it is less often than on working days.

--  for example, Capricorn engine is mainly "signature"-based engine. At least, with its daily updates. But most powerful point of such engine is ability to be "advanced" and "extended" engine rather than classical signature-based core.

Thus, each updates brings detection (signature-based) against well-known malicious or harmful item. Or an improvement for advanced detection by this engine. In general, it is against ALREADY known malware. It is always good to create too powerful signature with as small size as possible. Or even to create generic signatures against a lot of known malware per one signature. Thus, less often updates (compared to previous engine) is not always a trigger for less protection. Although, I feel that current detection rate with a little be less count (but with much better situation about false positives; reduced count). And, by the way, there a lot of testing organizations and labs where current engine with good points (by its results).

-- As it was suggested by Community Manager: even with delay for signature-based engine updates -> F-Secure Security Cloud should be always up-to-date.

Possible to read more about such layer (and about DeepGuard as good technology):

I feel that "already known" malware should be blocked by DeepGuard (based on Security Cloud knowledgebase) even if signature update is not published yet.

// one addition, it is always an option to use "Free" AV solutions - but, usually, their Terms (Privacy / EULA) for this kind of solution can be tricky for user as a result.

Thanks!

• MNielsen

I have version 17.5, and Security Cloud is connected. But where do I see, if it's up to date?

Security Cloud.jpg

• Ukko

@MNielsen wrote:

I have version 17.5, and Security Cloud is connected. But where do I see, if it's up to date?

So, yes.. it is 'unknown'! With next meanings: if Security Cloud "is connected" - then it should be up to date (because it is on F-Secure side). In general, Security Cloud should always be updated and up to date.

If there are troubles with connection (receiving / retrieving information from Security Cloud or handling) OR if F-Secure Security Cloud itself has an internal trouble (and is not updated) - this is kind of bugs. Usually, bugs should be fixed. I do able to suspect that such bugs are not often case AND even if occured - should be fixed in a short timeframe.

I feel that there can be some limitations or user's circumstances when this is not working. But I am not sure that it is about your own experience.

Meaning of "always up to date" state of Security Cloud is based on: when application is scanned (launched, suspicious look, any other triggers) - F-Secure SAFE should request opinion from Security Cloud (where information is always fresh). And if it is a known malicious or harmful item - detection comes to F-Secure solution as !online decision. If it is unknown malicious item, but too suspicious - then it can be blocked / detected too. With more "suitable" words - possible to read whitepaper about F-Secure Security Cloud (and DeepGuard as example of use); where things are explained with more clear view.

What about 17.5 and 17.6; If 17.6 release is officially released (knowledgebase article with "April" date) - then fresh installation (clean installation) is always about most recent and available build. Thus, if reinstallation is an option - possible to check if fresh installation is about 17.6; I do not check it yet.

Or it is possible to receive autoupgrade (but later). This, usually, happens gradually for users.

Also, one addition: indeed malicious activities are not goes to weekends. And security updates (signatures) are critical for weekends too. But, all in all, I am not sure that there are any intentions to meet TOO fresh malware on weekends. However, if so - I am not sure that signatures are useful against such "tricks" that meet users with so fresh state. Against such threats - things like DeepGuard, Security Cloud, specific tweaks against Ransomware and many other layers (for example, Browsing protection) were designed.

While "signatures" are still useful, powerful, accurate and less tricky to be implemented.

One more point: based on open statistics (that I saw) - detections on weekends more rare than on working days. But my own explanation is that, MAINLY, malicious intendeds targeted business. And main vector is something like spam, phishing and so on.

For home users - more often case is "well-known" malware, and different rogue / scam tricks. Usually, it is detected by generic signatures. Things like PUA or Suspicious software (riskware) are not always clear for its payload (but protection against this... improved with recent days). And, of course, need to be carefully with using web and with any suspicious activities (received letters, strange websites and so on).

Sorry for my English! And for the long reply.

Thanks!

// if Capricorn engine does not receive an update today (or tomorrow) - then I feel that the trouble is still there. What is not always too critical, but is not good indeed!

• MNielsen

And don't apologise your english! My english is also pretty bad!! 

And I forgot a screenshot from the Temp-folder...

tempmappe.JPG

The tmp1320-3568-1554232150-1-folder is empty.

• Ukko

@MNielsen wrote:

And I forgot a screenshot from the Temp-folder...

The tmp1320-3568-1554232150-1-folder is empty.

I think this temp folder is supposed to be empty. And used (created) only during updating / downloading / applying. Then cleared.

Capricorn engine (and its files / database) located under main F-Secure installation folder. There can also be kind of backup for updates under some of system folders (useful for situations where the update did not succeed mistakenly. And we must use the previous successful version, or roll back to it).

I tried to install stable F-Secure SAFE on my system. It is still 17.5 (so, maybe 17.6 is not realesed fully yet).

Thanks!

• MNielsen

Ukko wrote:

"so, maybe 17.6 is not realesed fully yet"

Perhaps not, because when my computer is running all the day long, I sometimes restart it despite no restarting is required, just to ensure, programs and other is up-to-date.

And free programs, I check for updates manually - either via their manufactorer's websites or manually via the programs, if possible.

EDIT:

Someone may have kicked the server in the BEEP!! I got at last a Capricorn-update! Smiley Happy 

• Ukko

@MNielsen wrote:

Ukko wrote:

when my computer is running all the day long, I sometimes restart it despite no restarting is required, just to ensure, programs and other is up-to-date.

And free programs, I check for updates manually - either via their manufactorer's websites or manually via the programs, if possible.

EDIT:

Someone may have kicked the server in the BEEP!! I got at last a Capricorn-update! Smiley Happy 

I do this, usually, too. By the way, my installations (beta and stable) also got first update for Capricorn (F-Secure Capricorn Update 2019-04-06_01). I think that today there may be two (or three) more updates. Although, one update per "weekend"-day was occasionally for the previous engine too.

• MNielsen

No - I think, the Aquarius-update got more updates. Also in weekends.

And to have two antivirusprograms.... Is that good? (You wrote that, you have both a stable, AND a beta-version...) Two programs with Realtime-Protection.

• Ukko
    No - I think, the Aquarius-update got more updates. Also in weekends.

Yes, you are right! Previous engine received more updates per day. For example, an average of "nine" times. However, when weekends comes - an average state was with less count. For example, "four".

Although, it was with differences; where higher value can be much more than ten (and I am not sure about real "average"). Only my feelings. And I remember when it was around one / two updates per weekend (not often. but occasionally).

Current engine (Capricorn), looks like, around six / seven updates per working days. Possible to suspect that with weekends it can be around three updates per day. But with my opinion - it does not means that current engine with less protection. Signatures can be more universal or cover more scale. And fresh engine with more dependencies on Cloud-design. So, too frequent updates for this engine are not required (maybe) for being strong.

Also, possible to suspect that to create a signature update - need to be with access to "item" (in general, users do able to upload item to F-Secure Labs: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample#sample-file); or company researchers should to figure out how to improve signature (or to find item). Thus, it is also depends on landscape with unique malicious items (that are not detected by engine yet).

And to have two antivirusprograms.... Is that good? (You wrote that, you have both a stable, AND a beta-version...) Two programs with Realtime-Protection.

No, of course, it is not good!

I meant that these are two different systems. One system with installed beta. And another system with stable version (I install it there). Systems with only one main active security solution.

Furthermore, it is not possible to install F-Secure SAFE beta (fs protection) and stable F-Secure SAFE at once. Installation flow should replace / uninstall previous version.

Thanks!

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

There were no interruptions to the update service during the last weekend. The 2019-04-06_01 update was released normally at ~13:20 EEST.

-Cale

• MNielsen

I now have version 17.6 for F-secure Safe on my Windows 7-computer. Haven't received any Oneclient-update yet for my Windows 8.1-computer...

• MNielsen

And now, it's friday - nearly weekend - and guess what? No Capricorn-update this morning!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info