Should I allow "host process for Windows services?"

Highlighted
Scholar

Should I allow "host process for Windows services?"

Home user here, so forgive if this is a stupid question. I have F-Secure installed on a Windows 7 PC and occasionally when I boot I get a prompt form F-Secure asking if I should allow "Hose process for Windows services" to do somehing (act like an Internet host maybe)?  I realize this is "svchost" and there are usually multiple copies of it running. 

When I answer Deny to the prompt, it seems my system starts to run really slow, until I reboot. Should I click Allow? Anyone have advice?

Thanks.

-Jack 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
F-Secure Product Expert

Re: Should I allow "host process for Windows services?"

Hi Jack,

Please try to change the DeepGuard actions to Handle Automatically.
- F-Secure Internet Security 2011 > Settings > DeepGuard > Actions > Handle Automatically
- Restart your computer.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jayson

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" -Albert Einstein

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
F-Secure Product Expert

Hi Jack,

Welcome to F-Secure Community.

Kindly refer this page for what is "svchost.exe". Please tell us more about your system:

Which F-Secure program you have?
What is your Operating system? (Windows XP/ Windows Vista/ Windows 7?)

Which type of message you get for this process? (System modification attempts / Connection attempts?)

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jayson

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Scholar

Hi, Jayson. 

Thanks. 

I have F-Secure Internet Security 2011 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I just got the same message for another program this morning. The message yesterday was:

"Host process for Windows services tried to act as an Internet server" --I think this is the right text.

The message today was 

"Akami Netsession client  tried to act as an Internet server" with Allow and Deny buttons.

I looked up Akami and it apparently is a legitimate network program that is inlcuded with Flash (I have Adobe CS5 suite installed).

Still not sure if I should allow or deny? 

thanks

Jack

F-Secure Product Expert

Hi Jack,

Please try to change the DeepGuard actions to Handle Automatically.
- F-Secure Internet Security 2011 > Settings > DeepGuard > Actions > Handle Automatically
- Restart your computer.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jayson

View solution in original post

Scholar

Thanks, Jayson.

I have changed that setting and will see if there are any problems.

Jack

When I had Kaspersky Pure 2.0 this would drive me up the wall too. I would see about 34 or these processes running at one time. The Kaspersky guy told me it was normal but, now that I switched back to F-Secure I would definitely contact them directly at the F-Secure tech support telephone line this way you get a quick answer ASAP because the program keeps flagging it as malicious.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)