Samsung S3 freezes on Samsung logo & then keeps rebooting

Hi All, I have decided to Install F-Secure on my Samsung Galaxy S-3 after my computer. However it's haveing a problem booting up. It sits with the Samsung logo there forever then sometimes reboots. The phone is locked. I pulled the battery then restarted it, same thing. I re-started several times. It starts normaly 1 in 10 times or so. Very frustrating. I uninstalled F-Secure & back to normal start up. Re-installed again then locking up. I downloaded the software from Google Play Shop & have a years subscription with Virgin Media who is my Internet provider so have a key code. Once I get in evrything seems normal even F-Secure & I have done a scan too. I will have to remove it for now once I can get the phone to start up again! Any sugestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Brillo
    Brillo Posts: 17 Observer

I was so close in doing a factory reset ;phew the phone started!

I removed F-Secure & all back to normal.

What's the difference on downloading F-Secure from Google Play and through the Virgin Media's link to F-Secure login on the web site.

I downloaded the file for the mobile which is now on my desktop computer. I'm sure I had to register the phone number & wait for an SMS message, which didn't come originaly.
    This is a ms_safeavenue8_1.apk . How do I use this? If I double click it what happens on my computer & how does it install in my mobile & whats more will it lock up & keep rebooting?

The code I put in worked OK & gave me a years subscription from the evaluation from Google Play.

I can see a factory restore on the horizon :-(

Look forward to hearing from the experts.

Cheers.....Brillo

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    I'm not an expert on Android phones, but do you have any other anti-virus apps installed on it?

Also, it may well be a specific installer via the Virgin link. Is there any reason to go via Google Play instead?
  • Brillo

Hi. The link via the SMS message didn't work. I can try it again, hence I went to Google Play. I have deleted the link to the phone & can try again with the SMS text link. What's the difference from Google Play & the link from MY S-Secure account. Is it a different programe. It worked with the subscription code.

Cheers....Brillo

• Simon
    Sorry, I don't know what the difference is - but having said what I said before, it seems someone here has also used a Play store version on a Galaxy tab, so maybe it is OK after all.

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Can-Not-Login/m-p/35989
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi,

It seems that there is an old version still in Safe Avenue that will be updated as soon as possible.

Most Mobile Security clients can be used with the same keycode but some functionality and options for renewing the subscription may differ.

Sometimes using renewal with another type of client that has been provided with the subscription fails altogether.

This is why it is recommended to use the same client type that was originally provided with the subscription.

• Simon
    Hi Jake,

So, just to confirm, does that mean that it's recommended for Virgin customers to use the link provided to upgrade to the F-Secure product?
  • [Deleted User]

Hi Simon,

Yes, once the new version has been updated to there.

In the meantime you can download the 8.3 version client directly from:

http://mobile.f-secure.com/virgin/ms_virginmedia.apk

• Brillo

Hi All,

I went back to the correct download via F Secure. I put my mobile number in & received an SMS message to a link & license number. I followed the link to install the file but my phone came up with an  Android robot package installer & Google verify & install. I have chosen both but the Android robot saying Install blocked . Your phone is set to block anything that did not come from Google Play. So it's blocked both ways. The file was ms_virginmedia-1.apk file.

Cheers.....Brillo

• Simon
    Again, I'm guessing, not being familiar with Android, but are there any security settings on the phone which you can adjust to allow the F-Secure installation? You can always put it back the way it was afterwards.
  • NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Simon is correct: http://developer.android.com/distribute/open.html#unknown-sources

Note: "...make this configuration change before they download your application to their devices.

some network providers do not allow users to install applications from unknown sources"

• Brillo

So I go into settings and disable the Unknown Sources box then re-enable the box as it's not from Google Play. There are no instructions on the webpage about this. I guess some people would give up here   Man Sad. It's a bit complicated downloading an unknown file that the phone won't install as it's blocked by Android. My wife certainly wouldn't be able to do all this. I guess this file is for Virgin Customers only,

• Simon

Maybe it's not a 'feature' of all Android phones, or perhaps it isn't always 'on' by default?  There are lots of different variations of Android, and also, I believe some phone manufacturers have their own custom installations on their phones, so I guess it's a bit of a minefield to have everything compatible with everything else.

Your wife would be most welcome here too, Brillo!  :)

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

As long as you know the file is from a safe source and you have an AV to scan it as it is downloaded (lots of free AVs for phones; Dr Web, Avast and Ikarus highly recommended) easy to do on your Samsung.

Capture.GIF

Disable setting once done.

• Brillo

Hi All,

Well I went ahead & installed it like you chaps advised & it went smoothly. I set F-Secure up with a schedule scan. I turned the phone off then back on with trepidation. The Samsung logo came up & I waited & waited over 3 minutes & still the logo. Oh no it's frozen again. I clicked on the switch to try to reboot or re-start & the logo came up again then the main screen. Hey it started & scanned the memory card & phone again. After this I re-started & it froze again on the Samsung logo. I re-started & it cleared to the main screen. I tried this a couple of times & seemed to clear rebooting or re-starting. Any reason for starting second time as i'm getting nervous it won't start on me a second time & will be locked out with a factory reset. At least it's been starting after 2 goes so far, that's something. Does it always scan the memory card on start up?

Cheers......Brillo

• Simon

A pure guess (as usual!), but I wonder if it's trying to download / install updates, hence the apparent 'hang' when starting?  I would just leave it be for a while, to settle down, then see how things go.  You don't have any other security apps on the device, do you?

• Brillo

No other security apps installed.

The first time I downloaded it I left it a while before turning off & back on. I had checked for updates too. It just freezes when turned on first time although it starts second time this didn't happen when I downloaded the file from Google Play. Then it was even worse!

• Brillo

I uninstaled F-Secure yesterday & have just re-installed it again & have now tested it several times turning the phone on & off.

If I turn the phone on it just sits there with Samsung logo for about a minute or so untill it re-boots then the normal screen comes up & F-Secure scans the memory card. If I get fed up & press the on/off or restart switch it re-starts again with the normal screen & memory card scan. I wonder why it should take a re-boot to start the phone. No good if i'm in a hurry though, from switching on the phone. Very strange!

• Simon

I think we need another S3 user, with FS installed, or an FS Expert on the case now.  It might be worth raising a support ticket - even if they say that's normal behaviour, at least then you''ll have some clarification.

• Brillo

Hi Simon,

I have raised an issue with support.
    Thank you for contacting F-Secure. We have received the following service
    request submitted by you:

Number: 00082085
    Created:
    Subject: samsung freezes on startup then reboots

Just waiting to see if they come up with anything.
    Cheers....Brillo

• Simon
    I'll be surprised if you get a response before Monday, but it will be interesting to hear what they say. :)
  • Brillo
    7:37 PM  Connecting...
    7:37 PM  Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    7:58 PM  Technician Console has ended the session.

Well I waited & waited for over 20 minutes but nothing!
  • Simon

Brilliant!  Smiley Mad  Might be best just to raise a support ticket.  We don't know what's going on with the Chat service - it's been hit and miss for a while (more miss than hit lately).  Smiley Sad

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

Must admit IME, CHAT support has definitely gone south the past few weeks Smiley Embarassed

@Brillo;since you have raised a ticket and obtained a SRID I will pm one of the F-Secure mods here to see what the holdup is?

• Brillo

Received a reply today. By hard reset I guess it's factory reset wiping everything off. At the moment I turn the phone on & leave it. It then re-boots after a couple of minutes & then is normal. Man Frustrated

With regards to your enquiry, after uninstall & reinstall F-Secure if you
    still having same issue then you might have to do hard reset of you phone
    to complete F-Secure installation.

Technical Support Engineer
    F-Secure Corporation

• Simon

Surely you shouldn't have to wipe all your data just to install F-Secure?  That seems a rather drastic step.  I wonder if they mean a 'forced reboot', which I believe you can do by holding the Power button down for about 10 seconds.  That shouldn't cause a factory reset, but make sure you've backed up your data anyway. 

As I said before, I'm not familiar with Android, not having used it since the original HTC Desire, but I believe the above would be the same as removing and replacing the battery, should the phone 'freeze', as mine frequently did!

• Brillo

Hi Simon, That's the other  way to solve the problem by holding the on/off button down for longer. This solves the problem too like waiting. But I would have to hold it down every time after it freezes. It's the same as waiting. I need to see if anyone else gets the same problem with an S3 too...Cheers

• Simon
    I can't recall if you said which version of Android you're using, but it seems there's a compatibility issue with the latest update. Could this be anything to do with your problem?

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/Hi-and-how-from-F-Secure-Safe-to/td-p/35107/page/2
  • Brillo

Hi Simon. The Android version is 4.1.2

F-Secure version 8.3.137232

Scanner build 5.6.7361

automatic updates are on. Latest check 28 Nov 2013.

Cheers...Brillo

• [Deleted User]

Hi Brillo, I tested this with similar device and was not able to reproduce. Do you have external SD card? If you do, please test if this also occurs when it is not inserted in the device.

• Brillo
    Hi Jake. I tried it twice with the SD card out but it still hangs. The time from start to the phone to hang then re-boot is 2 minutes 26 seconds for normal use. It then scans the SD card after the phone starts.
    Cheers Brillo.
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info